President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rich Gannon, and Bruce Murray pick the NFCN as follows

Packers 11-5

Bears 9-7..( #1 problem...DEFENSE)

Lions 8-8

Minny 8-8

They had Urlacher on as a guest...He says GB is the best team in the NFCN, and says.."Cutler has it all..He can run and throw"

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Don't know that I disagree with them at this point, but GB's defense ain't so hot either last I looked.

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Can't wait until the season starts so I can stop reading all of these experts picking Green Bay to win the North.

proton

Liked Posts:
Trestman and Cutler have certainly figured out Green Bays defense and can score points unlike past OC's who Capers seemed to know what Cutler was going to do in advance. The key will be the Bears defense getting off the field on third down once or twice more than the Packers defense manages to do. That will be up to Allen, Young, Houston etc to execute.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't have a problem with these predictions at this stage. But if the defense manages to step up at all...watch out NFC.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the D can move up to average with this O and Cutler not getting hurt they go 12-4. This might be a very good season.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trestman and Cutler have certainly figured out Green Bays defense and can score points unlike past OC's who Capers seemed to know what Cutler was going to do in advance. The key will be the Bears defense getting off the field on third down once or twice more than the Packers defense manages to do. That will be up to Allen, Young, Houston etc to execute.

Have they?
Maybe.
But I wouldnt count your chickens yet.
The bears put up 27 and 28 points without matthews on the field, that is true.

BUT- there is a pretty scary trend for chicago with Matthews on the field.... The Bears have NEVER scored a rushing touchdown with Matthews on the field. (edit to expand beyond that)- the bears have never put up a rushing TD in a game that Matthews starts, period.
that is a pretty tough trend to overlook, especially when it spans 8 games over 5 seasons.

Matthews has made the bears one dimensional every time he lines up against them, and I am not prepared to think that has changed until I see it happen.

In this case I am siding with the trend, adopting a wait and see mentality before feeling good about the bears O vs. the green bay D.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think GB has an edge in all three phases of the game right now, so it's hard to not call them favorites until the Bears or Lions show otherwise (don't see the Vikings as ready to mount any kind of challenge yet).

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was more optimistic prior to the preseason. Now its just more of a curiosity to see either how well they will perform or how epicly they will crash and burn. I know we'll lose some games I just don't want them to be embarrassing losses. Lose a close one here and there but win a few against "perceived" stronger teams and stay in the hunt for the postseason and I'll be satisfied for this season.

bubbashucker

Liked Posts:
Have any of you watched GB? Their O-Line looks like the Bears' from a couple of years ago and that was before the injury to their center. They lost their stud TE and now are relying on a career backup. Sure Rodgers is one of the top 3-4 QB's in the league, but he need some help. Cobb and Nelson are pretty good, but if he has no time, he might be in trouble.

As far as GB's defense, they were only slightly better than our "worst ever" Bears team last year. Now Raji is done for the year. And after watching Peppers last year, I cannot believe that he will make any difference, a year older, playing virtually a new position. They generate no pass rush outside of Matthews, and even he cooled off a bit last year with 7 sacks. Not to mention, he has played fewer games that the oft maligned Cutler in the past two years. Why no talk about his possible injury. Would a loss of Matthews not be just as devastating to GB's defense as the loss of Cutler would be to our offense. In fact, one could argue that it would be worse, since GB does not have the equal of Marshall, Jeffery, Forte and Bennett on their defense along side Matthews.

I am very concerned about the Bears D, but I am equally optimistic that GB will not be as good as many are predicting

10veitout

Liked Posts:
Have any of you watched GB? Their O-Line looks like the Bears' from a couple of years ago and that was before the injury to their center. They lost their stud TE and now are relying on a career backup. Sure Rodgers is one of the top 3-4 QB's in the league, but he need some help. Cobb and Nelson are pretty good, but if he has no time, he might be in trouble.

As far as GB's defense, they were only slightly better than our "worst ever" Bears team last year. Now Raji is done for the year. And after watching Peppers last year, I cannot believe that he will make any difference, a year older, playing virtually a new position. They generate no pass rush outside of Matthews, and even he cooled off a bit last year with 7 sacks. Not to mention, he has played fewer games that the oft maligned Cutler in the past two years. Why no talk about his possible injury. Would a loss of Matthews not be just as devastating to GB's defense as the loss of Cutler would be to our offense. In fact, one could argue that it would be worse, since GB does not have the equal of Marshall, Jeffery, Forte and Bennett on their defense along side Matthews.

I am very concerned about the Bears D, but I am equally optimistic that GB will not be as good as many are predicting

Quarless was the starting TE when the Packers won the SB.

Oh and the Packers Offensive line was 4th in the league last year, and that was with our best tackle out if action (Bryan Bulaga) now he's back, and you think the Packers are now at a disadvantage missing their Center who never took a snap?

Regardless, Rodgers has lit up the league with a terrible O Line almost every year of his career except last year. Not concerned, this is the best O Line they have had for a while.

bubbashucker

Liked Posts:

Oh and the Packers Offensive line was 4th in the league last year, and that was with our best tackle out if action (Bryan Bulaga) now he's back, and you think the Packers are now at a disadvantage missing their Center who never took a snap?

Regardless, Rodgers has lit up the league with a terrible O Line almost every year of his career except last year. Not concerned, this is the best O Line they have had for a while.

So, Quarless won the SB? Not the #5 ranked D. Yep, guess his 1 catch for 5 yards was the difference

O-Line 4th last year? According to Football outsiders, they were ranked #26 is adjusted sack rate. Only 8 teams gave up more sacks. Plus, did you catch any of the preseason? I'm telling you, it is going to be bad. Not that Rodgers cannot overcome it, he is that good. It is just that the line is pretty bad overall, especially with a 5th rd rookie starting at Center

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is the year the packers take a step back. not because of rodgers, but because of everyone else.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every year we hear how abysmal GB's oline is and how their d can't stop anyone. Then we watch Rodgers take them past us and into the playoffs. I won't be shocked if this is our year but I won't hold my breath waiting to find out.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

That was four years ago, and Quarless was a rookie. And he started only 3 games. If he had gotten better over the last four years I could say he is an upgrade but he hasn't shown himself to be anything other than a perenneal backup. He was a starter last year, the same year that Rodgers got hurt.

Their offensive line is a problem. Luckily for them Aaron Rodgers has generally proved himself to be both durable and mobile. If he doesn't get killed against Seattle in the first week the team could do fairly well. Chicago might be tough and both Tampa and Carolina should provide some trouble with their defensive lines but I can see them going 11-5.

Chicago could too, if their defense is just a little bit better. It doesn't have to be great, just better.

Please be better.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I think the Packers would be in trouble if it not for Lacy. What Green Bay LOVES to do is run the no huddle offense and catch the defense with either the wrong personal or unable to catch their breath. This year, instead of d lines teeing off, they can hand to Lacy either as a draw out if the gun or any other time the D is in nickel. With his size and speed, it creates favorable down and distances for them which leads to even more unpredictability. If teams can slow down the Packers offense and create long down and distances, you will see a line that will struggle to protect Rodgers.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think the Packers, Bears and Lions are essentially all the same team this year. We just have better coaches. 11-5

Status
Not open for further replies.