Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Thanks for the tips. Trying to work my way up to play online. I dont like to lose. lol Oh and KD shooting is pretty amazing. Also, I love some of the old school teams. They have some of my favorite teams of all time. The mid 90's Supersonics. The Magic with Shaq and Penny. The 76er's with AI. These were teams I loved watching when I was young.
s's
The shot timing is different online so beware of that. Also people will randomly try to take charges in the backcourt on you so don't let them do that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
2K has a poor concept of object interactive model area. Or in lay terms, the way players use the space they are in. All of it is pre-animated, and you really don't control much, other that movement and when to start and stop certain animations. Unlike the older sports games where users had more control, but the gameplay was less realistic.

I made a 9'12" center once with max rebound and dunking settings(hacks, possible with console as well as PC). Did not rebound, did not block, did not dunk, ever. All his shots were getting blocked. It was actually pretty funny. What was even better, was when the flop feature worked, and he would clip through all of the other models.

I also made a 2'1" center once with max rebounding, dunking, blocking settings, and damn. That guy not only looked hilarious, but would make the craziest alley-oops. Since 2K15 uses the same engine with minor tweaks and a lot more interface adjustments than anything else(over the last 7 games), you could still mess with these settings in nearly the same method.

Did you just go nerd on me?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2K has a poor concept of object interactive model area. Or in lay terms, the way players use the space they are in. All of it is pre-animated, and you really don't control much, other that movement and when to start and stop certain animations. Unlike the older sports games where users had more control, but the gameplay was less realistic.

I made a 9'12" center once with max rebound and dunking settings(hacks, possible with console as well as PC). Did not rebound, did not block, did not dunk, ever. All his shots were getting blocked. It was actually pretty funny. What was even better, was when the flop feature worked, and he would clip through all of the other models.

I also made a 2'1" center once with max rebounding, dunking, blocking settings, and damn. That guy not only looked hilarious, but would make the craziest alley-oops. Since 2K15 uses the same engine with minor tweaks and a lot more interface adjustments than anything else(over the last 7 games), you could still mess with these settings in nearly the same method.
This actually explains quite a bit...dang canned animations

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
This actually explains quite a bit...dang canned animations

Yeah, which is why I'm rooting for Live to be good. Not because I hate or love or fanboy either, but because I'm kind of tired of playing the same "canned animation" game with minor tweaks and updates for the last 8 years. Competition is desperately needed, even if 2K15 is the best NBA simulation game ever to come out.

I think 2k is afraid to try a ground up engine, because they see how much trouble EA has had doing it. But when a new console generation starts, they should have already been working on a new engine. That's just my 0.02.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, which is why I'm rooting for Live to be good. Not because I hate or love or fanboy either, but because I'm kind of tired of playing the same "canned animation" game with minor tweaks and updates for the last 8 years. Competition is desperately needed, even if 2K15 is the best NBA simulation game ever to come out.

I think 2k is afraid to try a ground up engine, because they see how much trouble EA has had doing it. But when a new console generation starts, they should have already been working on a new engine. That's just my 0.02.
When the made next gen 2k14 they said it would be a different engine than the old gen. Based off of gameplay that I've seen, that's not really the case.

Though I guess, what they have going for them is that the whole canned animation thing has gotten them this far. They really are the best simulation basketball game ever.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Based on what I've seen...it's not looking good...

The only thing EA can seem to get right is FIFA. They even fucked up NHL this year

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
When the made next gen 2k14 they said it would be a different engine than the old gen. Based off of gameplay that I've seen, that's not really the case.

Though I guess, what they have going for them is that the whole canned animation thing has gotten them this far. They really are the best simulation basketball game ever.

A lot of examples of this occur. Vice City Stories was a different engine from Vice City(LEEDs vs RenderWare). You really couldn't tell as a player. Castlevania and Castlevania III were two different engines, again, hard to notice because that was the intention. Or Mario 64, Mario 64 DS. Two different engines, and funny because Mario 64 DS engine was a ground up development, not a port.

Just because they updated an existing engine to run on new platforms, doesn't really make it a new engine in my book. Just the same engine under a newer set of instructional dependencies. Of course, doing just that much is a ton of work, so I don't want to make it seem as if Visual Concepts just slapped a few lines of code onto it, and called it a day. But seriously, they aren't fooling everyone.

Why is it important? Well, you as the user, are paying for a new game every year. 40-60 bucks. And think this way, hundreds of games are build a year that are build on ground-up engines with far more elements and interfaces. Sometimes as much, if not more licensing fees to use trademarked and restricted content, yet the price is the same per game.

Alright. I'm done ranting about this. I just hope more people get the hint to not fall into the Madden loyalty trap and get milked by 2K. As FT said, FIFA is amazing, and Fifa refreshes the engine far more than any major sports franchise. There is a reason why, and that's because PES is giving it competition. Just like 2K gave Live competition, etc.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
A lot of examples of this occur. Vice City Stories was a different engine from Vice City(LEEDs vs RenderWare). You really couldn't tell as a player. Castlevania and Castlevania III were two different engines, again, hard to notice because that was the intention. Or Mario 64, Mario 64 DS. Two different engines, and funny because Mario 64 DS engine was a ground up development, not a port.

Just because they updated an existing engine to run on new platforms, doesn't really make it a new engine in my book. Just the same engine under a newer set of instructional dependencies. Of course, doing just that much is a ton of work, so I don't want to make it seem as if Visual Concepts just slapped a few lines of code onto it, and called it a day. But seriously, they aren't fooling everyone.

Why is it important? Well, you as the user, are paying for a new game every year. 40-60 bucks. And think this way, hundreds of games are build a year that are build on ground-up engines with far more elements and interfaces. Sometimes as much, if not more licensing fees to use trademarked and restricted content, yet the price is the same per game.

Alright. I'm done ranting about this. I just hope more people get the hint to not fall into the Madden loyalty trap and get milked by 2K. As FT said, FIFA is amazing, and Fifa refreshes the engine far more than any major sports franchise. There is a reason why, and that's because PES is giving it competition. Just like 2K gave Live competition, etc.
Totally agree. 2k11 was in some ways arguably the best 2k game because not only did it introduce Jordan back into the game, but the entire gameplay and features were revamped to be much better than previous years. This happened because Live was still in existence giving it competition (albeit on its last legs). I think at the same time there was some Playstation exclusive game (NBA the life or something?) that was also hanging around and trying to be cooler than Live. Competition is a good thing.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm sure people will/already do. I hope NBA Live becomes good though for the same reason you do. I just really have very few complaints with 2K this year at all. Haven't started my MyLeague yet but that will be soon. Just waiting for draft classes to get done.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The animation thing is the biggest problem with sports games today imo. Its even worse in madden. The player is reduced to just moving characters into position and initiating animations. And then you have to wait until the animation ends. Can't do anything to react once you start the animation.

Its almost like the games have become extended quick time events. And it makes them feel slow, clunky, and unresponsive imo.

Its all part of the effort to make the games LOOK like real life and putting that priority over how they play.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe it's because I'm not a gamer, but the last 2k game I played was really frustrating for me. It was the one with MJ on the cover. I couldn't score for shit. I bought the game and played maybe 20 games. By the 20th game, I still struggled scoring close to 40 points. Some games, I'd have like 21. I'd be wide open and miss shots. Even going for a layup was difficult. They'd just stop and shoot, even though they were almost under the basket. Most of my passes were intercepted. I played with some of the best 3 point shooters, and they'd miss nearly all of them even if they were open.

One of my friends told me that each player had a "unique" shot and it takes a while to figure out how each of them shoots. Seriously? Fuck that. I'm not gonna play a game for hours upon hours to finally figure out how most players shoot. IMO, the game was just frustrating if you were an occasional player. The basketball game I had before that was an NBA Live game. Can't remember the year... No, the graphics weren't as good as the 2k games. But it was easier to play for the occasional player and I was able to enjoy it whenever I played. I was actually able to score over 100 if I had a good team.

It's probably just me. I just don't have the patience to learn how to shoot with every player. From what I heard, a lot of the 2k games are like that. Obviously, I don't know about this new one... but I've pretty much been done with basketball games for a while.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
So far I've liked this more so than 2k14. As for live I'm just convinced that it's done. They haven't had a good game in a long time and this new one isn't looking any better.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe it's because I'm not a gamer, but the last 2k game I played was really frustrating for me. It was the one with MJ on the cover. I couldn't score for shit. I bought the game and played maybe 20 games. By the 20th game, I still struggled scoring close to 40 points. Some games, I'd have like 21. I'd be wide open and miss shots. Even going for a layup was difficult. They'd just stop and shoot, even though they were almost under the basket. Most of my passes were intercepted. I played with some of the best 3 point shooters, and they'd miss nearly all of them even if they were open.

One of my friends told me that each player had a "unique" shot and it takes a while to figure out how each of them shoots. Seriously? Fuck that. I'm not gonna play a game for hours upon hours to finally figure out how most players shoot. IMO, the game was just frustrating if you were an occasional player. The basketball game I had before that was an NBA Live game. Can't remember the year... No, the graphics weren't as good as the 2k games. But it was easier to play for the occasional player and I was able to enjoy it whenever I played. I was actually able to score over 100 if I had a good team.

It's probably just me. I just don't have the patience to learn how to shoot with every player. From what I heard, a lot of the 2k games are like that. Obviously, I don't know about this new one... but I've pretty much been done with basketball games for a while.
Each player does have a unique shot, but most of the timings are the same actually. At least in 2k11 they were a lot more similar. The first problem I had with 2k shooting is that I was holding the button down too long because I was used to the Live timing which is longer. Once I figured that out, I made a lot more shots.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The app that goes along with the game is pretty decent. Easy VC and the myTeam mode is pretty quick and easy to win if you actually care about winning. Since the PS3 version of the game does not like giving me VC for playing association games, this will have to do.

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
The main reason I get these games is for the mygm mode/franchise mode. I was playing through a current mygm and decided to quit doing it because I didn't want to have to play through 82 games. I went to make a new one and idealized that it forces you to do an 82 game season. wtf? I remember you could do like 29, 58, or 82 game seasons. I was highly pissed when I noticed that. Another thing I have noticed from playing so many games is that you miss a lot of dunks/open layups. And I mean WIDE open ones, not even contested.

The CPU play is also extremely annoying. I'll play and miss a wide open 3 with Kyle Korver but then a CPU player like Rondo can come down on the other end and drill it in my face. It makes no sense to me and it's one of the reasons I've strongly disliked 2k. I want it to be a competitive game and all but when I miss open shots constantly and dwight howard cpu can easily make jump shots, it just pisses me off.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I always laugh when Dwight Howard and Chuck Hayes drain free throws like Ray Allen

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I always laugh when Dwight Howard and Chuck Hayes drain free throws like Ray Allen

You know if you practiced more L4D2 maybe zombies wouldn't be laughing at you....

Left-4-dead-2-1.jpg

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME KID

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know if you practiced more L4D2 maybe zombies wouldn't be laughing at you....

Left-4-dead-2-1.jpg

GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME KID
I am only proficient in chainsaw and guitar, sorry