In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
who the hell knows what was offered so many conflicting reports about was offered...it was said bulls didn't make a offer and simply told him they make it work and then it was the bulls offered 75m

melo confirmed there was indeed a 2 year deal on the table with this and that's it

You probably weren't following it all that closely, but there were numerous offers reported and NONE of them were in the ball park of $90+ Million. So I ask you... Why Not? I mean if the Bulls were so serious about signing him why didn't they offer to give him a deal even close to what the Lakers offered and if they did isn't it strange that was never reported?

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
I know I could always take your word for it, but I won't. Got anything stronger than sarcasm to support your belief that the Bulls would have done anything for Melo, because all that's been REPORTED is a weak 4 year offer and a high risk short term deal that would give the Bulls all the bargaining power in 2 years.

What's sarcastic about my statement? It's an objective opinion. The months long courtship between Melo and the Bulls is a matter of public record. They wanted him, and he engaged in discussions about the team and Thibs. You really think a two year offer was the reason he resigned in NY? That is what Melo would have everyone believe, but it doesn't make sense. In fact, nothing he did this summer made any sense whatsoever.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
What's sarcastic about my statement? It's an objective opinion. The months long courtship between Melo and the Bulls is a matter of public record. They wanted him, and he engaged in discussions about the team and Thibs. You really think a two year offer was the reason he resigned in NY? That is what Melo would have everyone believe, but it doesn't make sense. In fact, nothing he did this summer made any sense whatsoever.
In other words NO, you don't have anything to support your belief that the Bulls would have done anything to get Melo. He's not on my team he's a Knick so fuck him, BUT his decision makes plenty of cents and sense especially when you look at the crappy offers the Bulls made him and the shitty situation the Lakers are in.

You pointed out that the 2 year deal would give him an opportunity to resign for more money but that comes along with the risk that Bulls wouldn't resign him and he would be stuck looking for a new team again in two years. Why would it make more sense for him to take that gamble? Wouldn't it make more sense for the Bulls to just offer him 4yrs and $90-96M and then trade Taj/MDJ?

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
Or.... he's telling the truth and it was a dumb idea to only offer him two years.

All the article claims, with no proof, if that they floated the idea. That may have been one offer they made among several. With no way to offer him as much as the Knicks I'm sure the Bulls offered to whatever was legal to make a deal including 2 years now and a bigger contract when the cap went up. But Melo took the obvious guarantee for the max now.

It's a non story.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You pointed out that the 2 year deal would give him an opportunity to resign for more money but that comes along with the risk that Bulls wouldn't resign him and he would be stuck looking for a new team again in two years. Why would it make more sense for him to take that gamble? Wouldn't it make more sense for the Bulls to just offer him 4yrs and $90-96M and then trade Taj/MDJ?
Hrm...why wouldn't the Bulls resign him in two years? His game isn't going to fall off the cliff that much (I think he'll age like Paul Pierce) so what reason would the Bulls have to essentially backstab him and go back on that promise?

Also I seem to remember seeing that Taj was someone Melo wanted on the team if he was going to come here. Perhaps that was media propaganda, but him being at the recruiting session has to have some significance. Without trading Taj, there's no 96M offer...:shrug:

Besides...someone would be willing to sign 32 year old Melo to a max deal. He need not worry about not being on a team...the dude's a star in the league.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
In other words NO, you don't have anything to support your belief that the Bulls would have done anything to get Melo. He's not on my team he's a Knick so fuck him, BUT his decision makes plenty of cents and sense especially when you look at the crappy offers the Bulls made him and the shitty situation the Lakers are in.

The Knicks, Bulls, Rockets and Lakers were all bidding for Carmelo's services. He chose to stay with the Knicks because they could offer more money, which everybody knew from the very beginning. That's why he stayed... it had nothing to do with a 2-yr contract from the Bulls.

Also, when I say nothing he did made any sense, here's what I meant. Towards the end of last year, Melo went public with his desire to play elsewhere because he wanted to win. He started talking to Noah about coming to Chicago and what it would be like playing there. Every indication was that he didn't want to end his career as a loser, and that he would take less money to play for a championship. Then he officially opts out and starts jetsetting to all the major market teams, including the Bulls. Again, the indication was that he wanted to play for a team with a reasonable shot at a championship now. So what does he do? He changes his tune, takes the money and stays in NY. Now he's telling everyone his FA experience was a mistake. This is what players say when they want to vindicate themselves with the media and fanbase.

Carmelo got cold feet. That is all that happened. He realized how comfortable he was in NY and decided to keep his mouth shut and take the money. It probably cost him a championship ring, but he's obviously accepted that. But yeah, saying he didn't come to Chicago because they only offered him a two year deal is horseshit. Players of this stature, like LeBron and Melo, already know what kind of contract you can offer before they even start negotiating with you. GMs and agents talk all the time; both sides would have been vetted thoroughly before direct contact or discussions ever took place.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
All the article claims, with no proof, if that they floated the idea. That may have been one offer they made among several. With no way to offer him as much as the Knicks I'm sure the Bulls offered to whatever was legal to make a deal including 2 years now and a bigger contract when the cap went up. But Melo took the obvious guarantee for the max now.

It's a non story.

Agreed.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
You probably weren't following it all that closely, but there were numerous offers reported and NONE of them were in the ball park of $90+ Million. So I ask you... Why Not? I mean if the Bulls were so serious about signing him why didn't they offer to give him a deal even close to what the Lakers offered and if they did isn't it strange that was never reported?

oh trust me I followed it closely and one thing I figured out is the reporters really had no clue..all of them were a total joke during the whole process a whole bunch of guesses and assumptions

personally I think melo is just making more exuses ...his reasoning for not taking the deal is because he didn't want to have to go through the FA deal again? lol

I understand it was annoying for him this past year but that was because the Knicks were a total mess

it wouldn't be as bad if he was on a good team and he could make it a dead issue by saying he's positively re-signing

he should have said it was too much of a risk...thats better reasoning

czman

Liked Posts:
The Bulls offered Melo a 4 year ~75mil deal.
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140713/sports/140719453/

When they realized that would not work they went to the 2 year deal.

Melo was never coming to the Bulls. It was always all about the money for Melo and no one could offer the 5th year but the Knicks. I am not sure how anyone can still be confused about this. Melo was full of shit the entire time. He said it was not about the money, but when the money was all laid out, he took the money.

Since you cannot do the 5th year in a sign and trade the Knicks could always offer the most money. The only chance the Bulls had was Melo taking less money. He was never willing to do that. Therefore, the entire thing was bullshit and the Bulls had no chance at all of bringing in Melo.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

Melo was never coming to the Bulls. It was always all about the money for Melo and no one could offer the 5th year but the Knicks. I am not sure how anyone can still be confused about this. Melo was full of shit the entire time. He said it was not about the money, but when the money was all laid out, he took the money.

Since you cannot do the 5th year in a sign and trade the Knicks could always offer the most money. The only chance the Bulls had was Melo taking less money. He was never willing to do that. Therefore, the entire think was bullshit and the Bulls had no chance at all of bringing in Melo.

:yep:

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines

The Lakers offer to Melo = 4 yr $96M, the Rockets offer = 4 yrs $96M so why would the Bulls offer him a 4 year $75M deal in the first place, when everyone not named GarPax knew he wouldn't take that? Lebron James is the best player in the world and he's returning to his hometown team, so yes he can afford to gamble on a 2 year deal. Carmelo wasn't in that position so any agent/manager/wife would tell Carmelo that the Bulls 2 year offer was too risky.

If the Bulls wanted to give him the option to resign for more money all they had to do was give him an early termination option, instead they tried to keep the advantage. Its not complicated, first don't bring Taj to the meeting, second offer Carmelo a deal equal or very close to the max which is what the Lakers/Rockets did and if he accepts make the necessary moves.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
The Lakers offer to Melo = 4 yr $96M, the Rockets offer = 4 yrs $96M so why would the Bulls offer him a 4 year $75M deal in the first place, when everyone not named GarPax knew he wouldn't take that? Lebron James is the best player in the world and he's returning to his hometown team, so yes he can afford to gamble on a 2 year deal. Carmelo wasn't in that position so any agent/manager/wife would tell Carmelo that the Bulls 2 year offer was too risky.

If the Bulls wanted to give him the option to resign for more money all they had to do was give him an early termination option, instead they tried to keep the advantage. Its not complicated, first don't bring Taj to the meeting, second offer Carmelo a deal equal or very close to the max which is what the Lakers/Rockets did and if he accepts make the necessary moves.

Look, this is a futile argument. Carmelo took the money to stay in the city he loves, good on him. If he would have come to Chicago, he would have gotten a max contract eventually, would probably have won a championship, and won the heart of the city of Chicago forever. That didn't happen, so lets move on.

Anybody heard about this Thon Makur kid? 17 yr-old 7-footer projected to be the #1 prospect in the world:
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/thon-maker--the-no--1-class-of-2016-recruit-in-the-world--is-on-the-move-again-191022062.html

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
So wait, it wasn't because D Rose didn't recruit Melo, or go to dinner with him, or said he wanted Pau instead? :smug2:

Melo did what he was going to do the entire time and that's take the money. From the beginning, he talked about how he never went through the FA process and he wanted to feel how it felt to be courted by teams. There's a reason after meeting with Melo, the Bulls immediately went after Pau. They knew Melo was not leaving NY no matter what. Noah even said it after the Bulls meeting with Pau on 4th of July.

Regardless of everything, this is the best Bulls team ever assembled under Thibs and a serious Finals contender. Melo's Knicks will struggle to even make the playoffs in the Leastern Conference, so he will now turn his attention to making himself into the "Digital Athlete".

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
So wait, it wasn't because D Rose didn't recruit Melo, or go to dinner with him, or said he wanted Pau instead? :smug2:

Melo did what he was going to do the entire time and that's take the money. From the beginning, he talked about how he never went through the FA process and he wanted to feel how it felt to be courted by teams. There's a reason after meeting with Melo, the Bulls immediately went after Pau. They knew Melo was not leaving NY no matter what. Noah even said it after the Bulls meeting with Pau on 4th of July.

Regardless of everything, this is the best Bulls team ever assembled under Thibs and a serious Finals contender. Melo's Knicks will struggle to even make the playoffs in the Leastern Conference, so he will now turn his attention to making himself into the "Digital Athlete".

At least wait until they play a game together, sheesh. :rolleyes:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Just note one thing. If you guys want to bring up Melo stuff this offseason and get it out of your system, that's fine. But please don't become obsessed and go full Special person to bring up off-season drama all regular season long. Whether you have a good point then or not, it's a douche thing to do. It took 5 years for some fans to get over the original T-Mac drama, and those guys were sick in the head. Seriously, they have mental disorders and live in a delusional life.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just note one thing. If you guys want to bring up Melo stuff this offseason and get it out of your system, that's fine. But please don't become obsessed and go full Special person to bring up off-season drama all regular season long. Whether you have a good point then or not, it's a douche thing to do. It took 5 years for some fans to get over the original T-Mac drama, and those guys were sick in the head. Seriously, they have mental disorders and live in a delusional life.
tumblr_moz0rx8lzE1sqv808o1_250.gif

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
What an absurd thread. I can't believe people are still talking about this. There's only one logical reason to offer Melo a 2 year deal. To get him more money. Ironically, Melo very well might have cost himself money in the long run. Why is Melo still talking about this? It sounds like he's trying hard to convince himself he made the right choice to me.

Meanwhile, Rose is looking healthy, Pau is tearing up the tourney, and the Bulls have put together maybe the deepest roster in the NBA. Melo should just keep his mouth shut and hope that the Knicks can even sniff the playoffs the next two years. Absurd.

Reactions: YFC

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Maybe, but should we expect more at this time? 2 ACL injuries in a row. That's more than most would come back from at all, let alone come back and look like a MVP. TO's and missing shots seems to fall in line with being rusty to me. When I see him drive the entire floor and finish before anyone knows what happened is another thing.

His quickness seems there to me. His court awareness is improving. He's made some nice passes. His shot is going to come. I think we need to have some patience with that. Personally I'd rather he continue to work on being a PG and scoring in the flow of the game, This should be best for the Bulls in the long term, imo.