In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Its old news (and I'm over it) but for the record, the Bulls offer of a 2yr deal for Carmelo was the reason he didn't come here. Carmelo didn't want to go through free agency again so when the Bulls asked him to accept the same kind of short deal that Lebron accepted, Carmelo refused.

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/04/carmelo-anthony-bulls-free-agency-contract-knicks

The Chicago Bulls floated the possibility of signing free agent Carmelo Anthony to a two-year contract this offseason, The Wall Street Journal's Chris Herring reported. Anthony, though, rejected the offer, saying he wasn't comfortable going through another potential high-stress situation in free agency.

The idea was similar to the two-year deal struck between LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers this offseason. Anthony would've signed a two-year deal and been able to re-sign when the NBA's salary cap is expected to be significantly higher because of a new television deal. But Anthony said Thursday that option wasn't appealing to him.

“I plan on ending my career here, so it wasn’t for me to go out there and try to strike a two-year deal and then have to go through this situation in two years. I’m not doing that ever again. I would never do that again. I would advise no one to ever do that,” Anthony said, according to the New York Post. “I experienced it and it’s behind me.”

So much for that bright idea.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
:rolleyes:

He could have gotten any length deal from the Bulls, as long as the team stayed in the cap. He's just making excuses.

Or.... he's telling the truth and it was a dumb idea to only offer him two years.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
as bad as you want to discredited them for offering the 2 year deal....it benefited both sides it allowed bulls to keep the team intact and get melo his money

only down side is its a bit of risk on carmelos end....but on the flip it allowed melo to jet if rose isnt able to recover

but as crys said he could have got any deal he wanted......thats what his agent is for.....to work out a deal that fits his clients wishes

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
He could have resigned for more after the deal, just sign the extension before he hits FA lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The two year deal was just a thing to allow them to sign him to an even bigger extension with the new TV deal. They only offered that after offering the 4 year deal as far as we know. When he seemed iffy on that, then they tried to convince him to do the two year route.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
as bad as you want to discredited them for offering the 2 year deal....it benefited both sides it allowed bulls to keep the team intact and get melo his money

only down side is its a bit of risk on carmelos end....but on the flip it allowed melo to jet if rose isnt able to recover

but as crys said he could have got any deal he wanted......thats what his agent is for.....to work out a deal that fits his clients wishes

To each his own, I disagree that it was a good offer in any way for Carmelo. The truth is that it would be a dumb move for him and a great deal for the Bulls because they minimize their risk and keep everything together. For all the claims that he could have gotten whatever he wanted, I haven't seen any actual reports that state that. Just ramblings from the usual GarPax fans.

Like I said its over now, but the Bulls never made a truly competitive offer. You don't offer him $17-18M and you don't offer him two years when everyone else is offering 4-5yrs. Maybe you are content that we couldn't give up a couple of bench players to sign one of the top scorers in the league, but I'm not. I'm still looking forward to the season with hope it all works out, but if they don't have enough firepower to beat the Cavs in the finals, I still say fire GarPax.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The two year deal was just a thing to allow them to sign him to an even bigger extension with the new TV deal. They only offered that after offering the 4 year deal as far as we know. When he seemed iffy on that, then they tried to convince him to do the two year route.
If you are 30 years old why should you sign a deal with a new organization for 3 years less than another team will pay you?
Is there any guarantee that the Bulls MUST resign him to a max contract after they get him to accept the two year offer?
What happens if he gets hurt one year, what if the team loses and decides to rebuild, what if he doesn't get along with the team once he gets here....?

In other words he has to trust that the Bulls will give him a fat contract at the age of 32 just because the salary cap is expected to rise dramatically. He would be stupid to back himself into a corner by signing a short contract.

For someone who says they're over it, you don't seem very over it...
Its just conversation at this point, we can talk about world basketball instead if you prefer.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
To each his own, I disagree that it was a good offer in any way for Carmelo. The truth is that it would be a dumb move for him and a great deal for the Bulls because they minimize their risk and keep everything together. For all the claims that he could have gotten whatever he wanted, I haven't seen any actual reports that state that. Just ramblings from the usual GarPax fans.

Like I said its over now, but the Bulls never made a truly competitive offer. You don't offer him $17-18M and you don't offer him two years when everyone else is offering 4-5yrs. Maybe you are content that we couldn't give up a couple of bench players to sign one of the top scorers in the league, but I'm not. I'm still looking forward to the season with hope it all works out, but if they don't have enough firepower to beat the Cavs in the finals, I still say fire GarPax.

I'm far from a garpax fan but I'm not blaming them in this case

melo never committed to the Bulls so once again for them to make a competitive offer that meant they would have to deal gibson without any insurance from melo he'd sign.

they would have looked like total fools to trade one of the best post defenders if not the best post defender that IMO should have been 6moty for nothing

only mistake they made was bringing taj to the meeting...as that could have made melo feel wrong about getting him shipped to nomans land so he could get his money

but based on stuff Noah was saying about how he felt to dealing taj to clear space I feel he was the one that made it happen

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you are 30 years old why should you sign a deal with a new organization for 3 years less than another team will pay you?
Is there any guarantee that the Bulls MUST resign him to a max contract after they get him to accept the two year offer?
What happens if he gets hurt one year, what if the team loses and decides to rebuild, what if he doesn't get along with the team once he gets here....?

In other words he has to trust that the Bulls will give him a fat contract at the age of 32 just because the salary cap is expected to rise dramatically. He would be stupid to back himself into a corner by signing a short contract.

Its just conversation at this point, we can talk about world basketball instead if you prefer.
Because it's not about the money...or so he said ;)

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I'm far from a garpax fan but I'm not blaming them in this case

melo never committed to the Bulls so once again for them to make a competitive offer that meant they have to deal gibson without any insurance from melo he'd sign.

They would have looked like total fools to trade one of the best post defenders if not the best post defender that IMO should have been 6moty for nothing

only mistake they made was bringing taj to the meeting...as that could have made melo feel wrong about getting him shipped to nomams land so he could get his money

but based on stuff Noah was saying about how he felt to dealing taj to clear space I feel was the one that made it happen

I agree it would be stupid to deal Taj without knowing, but I disagree that they even needed to do that. If you pay attention to what the Cavs just did, its pretty obvious that you can make offers before making the actual moves. The only offers we have heard about from the Bulls are this 2yr deal and a 4 year $70-80M. So where's the 4yr $96M offer, that is the deal the Lakers made and the same one the Bulls could have made if they were serious.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Because it's not about the money...or so he said ;)

Exactly, because once he said that it instantly meant that he would accept any deal just to win even if it was ridiculously below his value. Because that's the honorable thing to do if you want to win. :shot:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Or.... he's telling the truth and it was a dumb idea to only offer him two years.

The Bulls would have given him however many years he wanted. Taking a two year contract would have allowed Carmelo to get a bigger deal than currently possible thanks to the NBA's new tv contract. The truth is he never intended to leave NY under any circumstances.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I dun git it...you tellin me to shoot myself bro? Seems a bit harsh. :(

Of course not Clone, you're one of the good guys in this little sub forum. I wish you well bro.

Axl Rose

Liked Posts:
I agree it would be stupid to deal Taj without knowing, but I disagree that they even needed to do that. If you pay attention to what the Cavs just did, its pretty obvious that you can make offers before making the actual moves. The only offers we have heard about from the Bulls are this 2yr deal and a 4 year $70-80M. So where's the 4yr $96M offer, that is the deal the Lakers made and the same one the Bulls could have made if they were serious.
who the hell knows what was offered so many conflicting reports about was offered...it was said bulls didn't make a offer and simply told him they make it work and then it was the bulls offered 75m

melo confirmed there was indeed a 2 year deal on the table with this but that's it

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
The Bulls would have given him however many years he wanted. Taking a two year contract would have allowed Carmelo to get a bigger deal than currently possible thanks to the NBA's new tv contract. The truth is he never intended to leave NY under any circumstances.

I know I could always take your word for it, but I won't. Got anything stronger than sarcasm to support your belief that the Bulls would have done anything for Melo, because all that's been REPORTED is a weak 4 year offer and a high risk short term deal that would give the Bulls all the bargaining power in 2 years.