Anyone else think Russell Wilson is overrated?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I am not saying he isn't a good player, but I would like to see how Wilson fares without the best defense in the league, a top tier running game and one of the best coaching staffs in the league.

A great defense and running back are a QB's best friends, and that is what RW has. Rw doesn't have to put the team on his back, he only throws the ball 25 times a game, one of the lowest in the league. 32nd ranked in the league in yards per game.

I watched him last night and I wasn't amazed by his play. Seattle had 177 yards on the ground between their running backs and harvin. That makes it much easier for a QB.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is the same kind of criticism Kaepernick gets too, but it's not deserved, imo. RW takes care of the ball, makes smart decisions and efficient throws. He does what's required of him to win. Why would you want to air it out for 300 yards every game when you don't have to? If you aren't hurting your team by turning the ball over or stalling drives with poor throws, there's nothing wrong with throwing only when necessary.

Quality over quantity.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
As much as I hate to say it, no, I don't think he's overated. I was hoping he would drop somewhere to the Bears in the draft. He was REALLY good his year at Wisconsin, I was incredibly impressed.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Yes, I believe he is. I don't think you could put him on the Colts in Luck's place and see the Colts have the same degree of success the Colts had simply by adding Luck. That said, Mick is also right. He plays within himself, and you got to respect that as well.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think he is a little overrated, if you think he's super-elite. I think he's top ten for sure, but not top five.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
It's kind of hard to say when your defense only gives up 14 points a game and you got a beast running game. But to answer the ? Yes Wilson is overrated so is Kap.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
First QB in the Super Bowl era to start his career with back to back 100+ passer rating seasons. The reason he doesn't have to put the team on his back is because he doesn't make mistakes that put him in that position. You mention that he only passes 25 times in a game, but he makes the most out of those passes...last year he was tied for 3rd in the league for yards/completion at 13.1. He also threw 26 TD's to 9 INT's, Wilson is smart and efficient. Yes we can't take away the fact he is surrounded by a great team, but he has put up strong seasons without a legitimate #1 WR and that is just in his first 2 seasons. I can look past a QB not putting up gawdy numbers if they are playing smart, efficient, and are keeping their team in a position to win. And he does all of that.

Silverwulf

Liked Posts:
Depends on how you want to evaluate him.

There are typical QB measures that he's not high on, but when you ask whether or not he does what his offense needs him to do, the answer always seems to be yes.
Very few mistakes ... and methodically, if not spectacularly, move the ball down the field.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I think any qb that plays in a system in which the other elements of their game carry them is going to get that label. Similar to a McMahon. They key is that he just doesn't make mistakes. His ability to make plays with his legs (passing) is his strength. I'm not sure he'd be as good if he was a pure pocket passer.

Carroll, the running game and the D get all the praise. I will tell you who the most underrated entity in the Seahawks locker room is - Offensive Coordinator Darrel Bevel. Dude is a game plan genius. His play calling simply made Green Bay look stupid last night.

Enjoy it 12th man - Bevel and DC Dan Quinn will be - should be - the first coordinators hired to fill the inevitable 4-6 NFL HC coaching vacancies next season. Because they will have a miserable offense, Tom Coughlin FINALLY gets fired. Bevel becomes the head coach of the New York Football Giants for the 2015 season. Book it.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Overrated?...Ummm NO

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wilson is not a typical pocket passer. His strengths play while he is on the run and his receivers are out positioning the D. It is misdirection and they do it very well.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I don't think he's overrated, he seems like a pretty intelligent kid who understands football. Plus...he really doesn't have anyone to throw to.

Mark Sanchez...now there's a QB that was overrated during his time with the Jets when they were competitive.

Schmidtaki

Just your everyday fail.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like to be a homer as much as possible but honestly I have to give Wilson props, he is a solid QB and a very humble and down to earth person judging by all the media coverage I've seen of him. I would love to have him as our QB anytime, not that I don't like Cutler, Cutler is mah boy but honestly RW is a guy I can't dislike he is just too cool of a dude and he plays the position very well.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like to be a homer as much as possible but honestly I have to give Wilson props, he is a solid QB and a very humble and down to earth person judging by all the media coverage I've seen of him. I would love to have him as our QB anytime, not that I don't like Cutler, Cutler is mah boy but honestly RW is a guy I can't dislike he is just too cool of a dude and he plays the position very well.

If only he'd take up smoking he'd be perfect in this offense.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
No. I think he is rated about where he should be. 5-9 in the league. There is a reason Mat Flynn wasn’t their starter and Wilson was as a Rookie. Wilson’s talent flashed early and he continues to show it. He throws a good ball from the pocket but he excels on the rollout. Wilson would rather throw than run but uses the threat of the run to draw defenders in. Once that happens he drops the ball over their heads to the open guy. He is willing to throw the ball away when its called for. Finnaly he slides well before contact ensuring he lives to play another down.

So he is Smart, patient and accurate. It’s hard to over rate a QB with those traits.

cjswan232482

Liked Posts:
No, Wilson is not overrated at all. However, he is definitely in the lucky QB club in that he has coaches who are good enough to build an offense that maximizes his talent Some of those was playcalls yesterday were sooooo easy it was ridiculous. It will be interesting how his play progresses when he gets the big deal and Coach Bevel ultimately leaves.