Destiny

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
So seeing everything they're planning for The Taken King and the upcoming 2.0 patch, Year One of Destiny was essentially a year long beta. They're scrapping so much from the first year of Destiny, it'll feel like a completely different game in a few weeks. Completely new leveling system, new voice actor for the Ghost, basically making all Year One weapons obsolete (all raid weapons and most exotics included), more cutscenes and actual in-game storytelling, useful vendors (who are quest givers as well), and a lot of other stuff. I'm cautiously optimistic about Year Two.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm finally getting PS4 tomorrow. Still worth getting the game?

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm finally getting PS4 tomorrow. Still worth getting the game?

Definitely. One of these Taken King bundles coming out comes with Destiny+Expansion 1+Expansion 2+Taken King. I'd get that one and play through everything fresh. I plan on deleting one of my characters and starting a fresh playthrough so I can play from the start with all the new changes.

I'm most curious to hear Nolan North as our Ghost. They've taken all of Peter Dinklage's lines out and had North re-record everything in the game. Weird how everyone who played Year One got to have Dinklage as the Ghost and people who've never played won't get to experience that (although Dinklage was total shit as a voice actor).

HighJump31

N7
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol

How much did that beta cost?

For most players- $59.99+$19.99+$19.99

For me- $19.99+$19.99 (Destiny came free with my PS4)

For the hardcore- $79.99+$19.99+$19.99

Tack on $49.99 for The Taken King and most players will have paid $149.96 before they can play the game most of us expected Destiny would be when it was announced.

Dr. Manhattan

Liked Posts:
Man this game has been unplayable for me for months. The HOW dlc really killed the fun for me. Im waiting a few weeks to see of TTK is worth buying

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Picked up the game off of Amazon last night...came with everything and only cost me $53. Hoping for good times. Got a few friends I can play it with as well so that'll be nice.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I would suggest that no one get this game unless they are looking to play a subscription based MMO. Sure it's not monthly but don't let it fool you they are going to release a new must have every 6 months or so and kill the experience for anyone who doesn't have it. As pointed out above, they've already charged the day one players $100 bucks to spend a year beta testing their game and finally putting out what it should have been to begin with, it's a fun game, but not worth the maintenance it's going to take to not only stay caught up but to continually learn how to play the new things. If it wasn't for the internet telling people how to play the game, no one would have a clue about anything that's going on.

Dr. Manhattan

Liked Posts:
Yep, i loved this game when it first came out but it seems bungie is just making onw giant cash grab with this game..

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So now they've decided to offer in game microtransactions for emotes and stuff that shouldn't have gameplay effect, and release new content for free every now and then, but still have a big yearly... That's fine and all, but this is what you get when you agree to get in bed with Activision. They already lost the law suit to the award winning music director guy who refused to change things so Activision did it anyway and he threw a fit and they fired him or whatever. This game just finally because what it was supposed to and they're acting like it's a good thing have are making people rebuy stuff.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
My biggest issue is that all the great weapons we got in year one are now just novelty items. Maybe next time just add more guns that are at the same levels are before.

Idk, I like the game as it is now, but for $180? Meh. I guess I've gotten my money's worth though with all the hours put in.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
My biggest issue is that all the great weapons we got in year one are now just novelty items. Maybe next time just add more guns that are at the same levels are before.

Idk, I like the game as it is now, but for $180? Meh. I guess I've gotten my money's worth though with all the hours put in.

THat's where I'm at, I spent like 90 I think at launch, I got some good times, and probably got my money's worth but I'm done, I'm not going to continue to sink money into this because every month they are changing something that completely changes the game. If someone who played the game day one played now they'd be completely confused because it's a completely different game.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
THat's where I'm at, I spent like 90 I think at launch, I got some good times, and probably got my money's worth but I'm done, I'm not going to continue to sink money into this because every month they are changing something that completely changes the game. If someone who played the game day one played now they'd be completely confused because it's a completely different game.

I don't disagree at all, if you were to never get DLC the game wouldn't be worth the $60. Hell it wasn't even worth the extra $20 for crota. House of wolves is when it finally felt like a full game and had they sold the game from there, I would have no issue with the Taken King DLC and more.

They've tried to make this game like a W.O.W type MMORPG, and I can understand where people's frustration with money is. I have buddies who play so I'll buy whatever until I'm bored or it seems pointless.

I've got friends who in year one have made the game cost about .20 an hour to play if that.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I don't disagree at all, if you were to never get DLC the game wouldn't be worth the $60. Hell it wasn't even worth the extra $20 for crota. House of wolves is when it finally felt like a full game and had they sold the game from there, I would have no issue with the Taken King DLC and more.

They've tried to make this game like a W.O.W type MMORPG, and I can understand where people's frustration with money is. I have buddies who play so I'll buy whatever until I'm bored or it seems pointless.

I've got friends who in year one have made the game cost about .20 an hour to play if that.

I was in playing the Battlefield beta last night (pretty solid by the way) and had one of my destiny buddies jump in to my game who I hadn't talked to in a while because i stopped playing. He said the new game is great and a lot of fun but that he only really got it because a lot of his friends were staying in so he decided just to get it to but he felt the same way I did and kind of burnt out and abused by the DLC tactics. And now, here they are saying they are switching routes and again and not going to be charging for every little dlc. It still feels like a subscription model to me without the monthly charge because they know if they did that people would be up in arms and flat out revolt, yet every update they do it basically makes the game unplayable unless you get it. Will be interesting to see what this new "free" content is that is supposed to carry you over to the yearly release, and how much this yearly release is going to be. I suspect they may try to charge full $60 each year.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Been playing the Taken King since it came out and it definitely infused life into the game. Was pretty bored with HoW but the improvements made are worth it for me. Got a level 40 Warlock that's 314 Light Level and started a Hunter for the first time and that dude is already level 40 and 312 light. The King's Fall Raid in particular is probably my favorite Raid thus far as it really is a challenge and up until the last week or so, there was still a majority of players who hadn't beaten it yet.