2015 Cubs Offseason Discussion

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Baseball Prospectus tiers for Fantasy SS.

Castro is ranked 4th. Interesting twist, Baez is ranked 8th.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=25507

Don't think it's that interesting about Baez. Remember this is talking fantasy. He could hit .200 with 30 HRs and 15-20 SB and be one of the better fantasy SS because the HR/SB combo give him an edge on a lot of players. RBI's are pretty dependent on the team though given the addition of Bryant and Soler to the lineup as well as Fowler their OBP will be up next year. Runs might be down given his OBP issues but few people draft for runs. In particular, drafting for HR/SB is sort of typical because you can often find empty average type players to elevate you're overall totals if you need to.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't think it's that interesting about Baez. Remember this is talking fantasy. He could hit .200 with 30 HRs and 15-20 SB and be one of the better fantasy SS because the HR/SB combo give him an edge on a lot of players. RBI's are pretty dependent on the team though given the addition of Bryant and Soler to the lineup as well as Fowler their OBP will be up next year. Runs might be down given his OBP issues but few people draft for runs. In particular, drafting for HR/SB is sort of typical because you can often find empty average type players to elevate you're overall totals if you need to.

That's why I said they ranked fantasy ss. You overthink things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That's why I said they ranked fantasy ss. You overthink things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not trying to hate on Baez here just don't see what's an "interesting twist" here. Not trying to start a fight either but if you have a passing experience with fantasy it should be obvious as to why Baez is an interesting fantasy play. It's the same reasoning why someone like Mark Reynolds was often a pretty decent option at 3B despite a horrid BA.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not trying to hate on Baez here just don't see what's an "interesting twist" here. Not trying to start a fight either but if you have a passing experience with fantasy it should be obvious as to why Baez is an interesting fantasy play. It's the same reasoning why someone like Mark Reynolds was often a pretty decent option at 3B despite a horrid BA.

What? The twist was throwing him 8th when 1. He is not going to play SS. 2. He jumped a bunch of people when he has deficiencies. 3. Did you expect him to be ranked 8th? I doubt it. Thats the twist. Yet again, you go to far ends just because Baez name was thrown out there. Calm down. Everyone knows your feelings. You have wrote books on it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
What? The twist was throwing him 8th when 1. He is not going to play SS. 2. He jumped a bunch of people when he has deficiencies. 3. Did you expect him to be ranked 8th? I doubt it. Thats the twist. Yet again, you go to far ends just because Baez name was thrown out there. Calm down. Everyone knows your feelings. You have wrote books on it.

He has eligibility at SS because he played about half his MLB season there last year since Castro got hurt. Why is that a twist? That's how fantasy has always worked. As for being where he was ranked, presuming Baez stays in the majors the entire season yes that's pretty much exactly where I would expect him to be. Consider him compared to Ramirez who he was ranked one spot ahead of. Alexei had 650ish PAs with .273 average, 82 runs 15 HRs, 74 RBIs, and 21 SB. If you project Baez fairly horrible 2014 MLB numbers over 650 PAs you get a .169 average, 71 runs, 26 HRs, 57 RBIs, and 14 SB. Even a marginal improvement for Baez gives him a legit shot to win in 4 out of the 5 typical fantasy league categories(runs, HRs, RBIs and SB).

As for my opinion on Baez, you realize I'm praising him as a fantasy player here right which is pretty much the exact opposite of my feelings as a normal player.