IST: Cubs vs. Reds

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
All I can say is Shark never was able to put it together like Arrieta is doing.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Arrieta was dealing tonight. Soler with a big game. Can't wait to see how the offseason plays out.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
If near no-hitters (7IP + ) was a real stat I'm pretty sure Arrieta would be leading. I think this is #3 for him

What did Brandon Phillips do in this game? Read a lot of comments about him being an asshole. I know he is, just wondering if something particular happend tonight

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
If near no-hitters (7IP + ) was a real stat I'm pretty sure Arrieta would be leading. I think this is #3 for him

What did Brandon Phillips do in this game? Read a lot of comments about him being an asshole. I know he is, just wondering if something particular happend tonight

It's his 2nd. Phillips had a double, only hit Arrieta surrendered.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah saw on ESPN he has taken 3 6+ which leads MLB

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I was kinda hoping they invited manny up not so much to see him get a few AB ( PH ) which would of been cool but more so to continue coaching with the kids especially Baez now..

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was kinda hoping they invited manny up not so much to see him get a few AB ( PH ) which would of been cool but more so to continue coaching with the kids especially Baez now..

I would venture to guess that Manny and Baez will have a long summer together.

I want to say this that no one brings up. Baez may have the quickest slap tag in the game. I never really paid attention when he was in the minors but since he has been up. His tags have been incredible. He wastes little time between him catching the ball and slapping the tag. He was the reason Billy Hamilton was out the other day. I know most people dont notice but he may have one of the quickest hands I have ever seen in this game. No bullshit. He kils Castro in that department and I am a Castro protecter.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I would venture to guess that Manny and Baez will have a long summer together.

I want to say this that no one brings up. Baez may have the quickest slap tag in the game. I never really paid attention when he was in the minors but since he has been up. His tags have been incredible. He wastes little time between him catching the ball and slapping the tag. He was the reason Billy Hamilton was out the other day. I know most people dont notice but he may have one of the quickest hands I have ever seen in this game. No bullshit. He kils Castro in that department and I am a Castro protecter.
Now that you mention it he does have a quick glove, I have no complaints about his defense thus far..

Wonder if it just coincidence or has Baez helped a bit with castillo run of catching would be stealers, taking nothing away from castillo of course.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now that you mention it he does have a quick glove, I have no complaints about his defense thus far..

Wonder if it just coincidence or has Baez helped a bit with castillo run of catching would be stealers, taking nothing away from castillo of course.

Castillo has been great. No lie. He has caught like 13 out of 15. He was horrendous in the first half. Castillo is actually a great defensive catcher as much as people dont want to see it. But, Baez glove is special with those tags. He is so quick which is why people dont worry about him hitting. Now, he is Castro like with making mistakes at short but his skills are tremendous.

Let the bat play. He will always strike out but Im gonna say about 200 at bats into next year the light will come on. I meant what I said that he has pitch recognition. Since he has been in the majors, he has decided to swing before recognition. I would like him to calm down and show his special ability. I know this sounds weird and I may be completely wrong but I think it takes one at bat for him to take off.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Baez is much better at defense than Castro from a SS perspective. I think we see Castro get moved over to 2B or flipped for pitching this winter. I read an article comparing the two but I can't recall which site it was on, but was a big edge to Baez. Baez still needs to prove he can hit ML pitching consistently before we should trade Castro IMO. Obviously love his potential but I don't want to trade a 3x AS and put all the money on a guy with a 46% K rate.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez is much better at defense than Castro from a SS perspective. I think we see Castro get moved over to 2B or flipped for pitching this winter. I read an article comparing the two but I recall which site it was on, but was a big edge to Baez. Baez still needs to prove he can hit ML pitching consistently before we should trade Castro IMO.

Baez has the same problem as Castro. They can make great plays and then botch the simple plays. I have seen it a ton in Baez at the minors. Also, they do believe Baez will outgrow the position.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Castillo has been great. No lie. He has caught like 13 out of 15. He was horrendous in the first half. Castillo is actually a great defensive catcher as much as people dont want to see it. But, Baez glove is special with those tags. He is so quick which is why people dont worry about him hitting. Now, he is Castro like with making mistakes at short but his skills are tremendous.

Let the bat play. He will always strike out but Im gonna say about 200 at bats into next year the light will come on. I meant what I said that he has pitch recognition. Since he has been in the majors, he has decided to swing before recognition. I would like him to calm down and show his special ability. I know this sounds weird and I may be completely wrong but I think it takes one at bat for him to take off.

Not sure who you think is saying this but the only comments to the contrary I've heard is with respect to Castillo's pitch framing.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
This series seems to show where the cubs are in relation to other teams. The Reds are 71-81 and the cubs have outscored them 10-1 in 26 innings without a lot of the better talents(Rizzo, Castro, Alcantara).

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Baez is much better at defense than Castro from a SS perspective. I think we see Castro get moved over to 2B or flipped for pitching this winter. I read an article comparing the two but I can't recall which site it was on, but was a big edge to Baez. Baez still needs to prove he can hit ML pitching consistently before we should trade Castro IMO. Obviously love his potential but I don't want to trade a 3x AS and put all the money on a guy with a 46% K rate.

Actually, even if they traded Castro away for pitching, it would not be as harsh as you would think. Addison Russell will be one step closer, and Baez could man SS until he arrives. The fact that they could net pitching in return would be a plus.

Also, factor in that even if Baez is learning as he goes, and lets say hits in the .230 to .240 range, he will still net about 25-30 HR's as a SS.

You would hope that Bryant would pick up some of the slack, plus whomever they get in the off-season.

Castro is a solid bat, but the Cubs need pitching too. You have to sacrifice something at some point.

If they can get a high OBP (preferably LH) table setter, some TOR pitching, and a complimentary bat (like Pierzynski) or upgrade at catcher, I am cool with that.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not sure who you think is saying this but the only comments to the contrary I've heard is with respect to Castillo's pitch framing.

Its been said on these board and others.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
As I've said elsewhere, not sure why you'd trade Castro before Baez at this point. Castro is a grand total of 3 years 8 months and 8 days older and already proven to be at the very least a fringe all-star player year to year and some would argue he's more than that. I'm not amazingly high on Castro as I think he's more a 3-4 WAR/season player but comparatively to Baez who's yet to show he can hit over the mendoza line it's fairly risky to bank on Baez. Even if you believe Baez will get better by that point he's maybe what 1-2 years younger than Castro is now? And that ignores the risk involved with him.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
As I've said elsewhere, not sure why you'd trade Castro before Baez at this point. Castro is a grand total of 3 years 8 months and 8 days older and already proven to be at the very least a fringe all-star player year to year and some would argue he's more than that. I'm not amazingly high on Castro as I think he's more a 3-4 WAR/season player but comparatively to Baez who's yet to show he can hit over the mendoza line it's fairly risky to bank on Baez. Even if you believe Baez will get better by that point he's maybe what 1-2 years younger than Castro is now? And that ignores the risk involved with him.

I wouldn't trade anyone until Russell and Bryant force the move. Even then Baez's value should be better as he should be adjusted to the league.

IMO it is about the return value more so than who is traded. There is no point trading depth for something that is not needed on the team now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

He is ranked in the lower 1/3 pf catchers at this.

Status
Not open for further replies.