Houston's early quiet play

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Houston is not a bend the edge DE so I think he's being misused as a result. He's not the type of athlete that is going to turn the corner and get consistent pressure off the edge. I think he's fast and physical but he does a better job of translating his speed to power and beating inferior athletes inside,than outside. If Ratliff is out then Houston should get more interior reps to balance out Sutton's work load.

Reactions: DC

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
He was a necessary acquisition to fix the lines issues against the run. That said, the Bears should look to groom a replacement for him soon as his skill while important is not elite (for the 8 million per year he is making(

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Houston is not a bend the edge DE so I think he's being misused as a result. He's not the type of athlete that is going to turn the corner and get consistent pressure off the edge. I think he's fast and physical but he does a better job of translating his speed to power and beating inferior athletes inside,than outside. If Ratliff is out then Houston should get more interior reps to balance out Sutton's work load.

Yea, well, then my issue is, that is EXACTLY why we picked him up in the F/A market. >stops rolling his eye's<

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Captain%20Obvious%20HotelsCom.jpg

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Houston is not a bend the edge DE so I think he's being misused as a result.

You're right about what type of DE he is, but it's hard to tell whether the results so far are due to his style or by design. The Bears have only played two teams so far, and both were led by running-threat QBs, and both Houston and Allen have had to play conservatively in order to keep containment (or in Allen's case, were supposed to keep containment).

If Ratliff is out then Houston should get more interior reps to balance out Sutton's work load.

And he no doubt will. Look for Young to get more snaps at LE while Houston moves between LE and DT with Sutton.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:

Moving on to Houston now that all your other observations are looking silly?

Reactions: 1ke
Liked Posts:
I'd love to see him on the interior at least as the nickel 3-Tech. I think Young LDE, Houston 3-Tech, Sutton Shade, & Allen RDE would generate nice pressure on passing downs.

chitown2387

Liked Posts:

You seriously make the WORST threads on this forum. Chill out with the posting and give your fingers a break.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
As obvious as it is to many posters, Biff's point is valid. Young is a better edge rusher than Houston. However, Houston served a purpose on the end to help against run plays and provide some pass rush. Young is more of a situational pass rusher and not as strong IMO against the run. I like seeing young on the end, however I want Ratliff back asap. and Young to go back to situational pass rushing.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He has been getting pressure and I think he lost too much weight to play full time inside

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think with Peanut getting hurt, they are likely to have Kyle Fuller and Jennings starting at corner back and will fill the nickel spot with another player that is either currently a Bear or one that is not currently a Bear. Also, Jay Cutler should start if healthy.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
houston's versatility is what makes him so valuable. he's not going to be a 10 sack guy, but he's going to help other players get 10 sacks. the bears overpaid for him, but that's the nature of free agency. he's going to be a valuable player for the bears, and has done pretty much what was expected of him thus far.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I want to see Ratliff back ASAP (best player on the DL) and just flat out have Young get more reps at LE, regardless of what's going on inside.

personally, i'd start young at right end and have allen come in in passing situations. i'm still not at all impressed by allen as a run stopper. saw him lose contain a bunch more times sunday. not saying bench him but i think young and houston are your best all around DEs on the team at this point.

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
A bored house husband is a sad thing... Dig deeper Biff. Im sure you can find Something to bitch about Fuller to generate more posts.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
personally, i'd start young at right end and have allen come in in passing situations. i'm still not at all impressed by allen as a run stopper. saw him lose contain a bunch more times sunday. not saying bench him but i think young and houston are your best all around DEs on the team at this point.

I'm not either, but every down is a potential/likely passing down in today's game.

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
houston's versatility is what makes him so valuable. he's not going to be a 10 sack guy, but he's going to help other players get 10 sacks. the bears overpaid for him, but that's the nature of free agency. he's going to be a valuable player for the bears, and has done pretty much what was expected of him thus far.
Ive been trying to say this all offseason. Lots of people were all about Houston being some magical huge DE sack artist.

I said it before and I'll say it again. He's a lot like Phillip Daniels, and that's not a insult.

malcore

Ive been trying to say this all offseason. Lots of people were all about Houston being some magical huge DE sack artist.

I said it before and I'll say it again. He's a lot like Phillip Daniels, and that's not a insult.

I don't remember this. Most seemed to realize what his style of play and role would be.