While we're busy bashing DRose on his FIBA performance...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Our other main representative in the FIBA tournament had himself a pretty darn good stretch. That's right, Pau Gasol was the 4th leading scorer in the tournament, averaging something around 20 ppg and 8 rpg on 63% shooting and even 27% from 3. He did all this in 27 minutes per game while playing alongside the heralded frontline of his brother Marc and Serge Ibaka. And he even did so against NBA level talent when he played Brazil (ft Nene the Noah destroyer and Anderson "Lebron's best teammate ever" Varejao).

So if we're going to judge how good Rose is based on his crap performance, we should also be praising Pau for his. You know...because they're entirely representative of what we're going to see in the regular season.

Side note: Cameron Bairstow was also in some FIBA action, averaging more points than Rose...about 7 per in 13 mpg.

Good job Pau...unlike how we wish Rose's performance doesn't carry over, we hope yours does.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
This was like a Double-A rehab assignment for Rose. He struggled but physically he looked pretty good. The shooting will come in time. He's going to struggle a lot the first 20 games or so I would imagine. Here's hoping the rest of the team doesn't

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rose sucks....... :troll:

Shit, I just want the regular season to start. Hurry up, already.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This was like a Double-A rehab assignment for Rose. He struggled but physically he looked pretty good. The shooting will come in time. He's going to struggle a lot the first 20 games or so I would imagine. Here's hoping the rest of the team doesn't
Well Rose around the time he tore his meniscus was just starting to turn the corner if I remember right. I believe he had a couple games where he put up decent scoring numbers (albeit inefficiently) and then went off from 3 in a game right before that Portland game. He almost managed to outplay some pretty big name PGs defensively somehow. So depending on your definition of struggle I think he can do better than 20 games.

I'm hoping Pau rides the FIBA momentum to a strong start to the season. I think that will help Rose a ton if we have a semi go to scorer in Pau.

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
The pessimists will say Pau Gasol's performance doesn't matter...it was FIBA he sucks

While hypocritically saying... Derrick Rose's FIBA performance is a troublesome and is a sign of whats to come this season.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pessimists will say Pau Gasol's performance doesn't matter...it was FIBA he sucks

While hypocritically saying... Derrick Rose's FIBA performance is a troublesome and is a sign of whats to come this season.

Doesn't really make sense. Pau should dominate that level of competition. Rose should as well. Pau's results should be "expected". Rose's results were troubling because he looked really bad. Hopefully he can regain his shot.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Doesn't really make sense. Pau should dominate that level of competition. Rose should as well. Pau's results should be "expected". Rose's results were troubling because he looked really bad. Hopefully he can regain his shot.

The passing is fine.

black-sports-online-derrick-rose-eating-candy.jpg

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Agreed it doesnt make sense. Just what I feel some posters here will believe.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Agreed it doesnt make sense. Just what I feel some posters here will believe.
The whole gist of this is a tongue in cheek claim that if you're going to decide that Rose will suck this season based on FIBA, you have to also say Pau will have a good season because of FIBA if you don't want to be a hypocrite. I expect many a hypocrite anyway.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw Spain play one game, the game they lost, and Pau was moving really well. He had some 3 point plays that almost kept them in it, but it was concerning to see their offense stagnant against France. It wasn't Pau's fault.

But like I said, more importantly, Pau looked lithe and agile, better than I have seen him in a while, and Rose looked fantastic but holding back a little on the athleticism.

that was great to get Rose wet and strengthen his ligaments.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:

I don't agree with this at all. Let's use Brazil as an example. Pau is supposed to dominate Nene, Splitter, and Varejao? That's ridiculous. Personally, I think the fact that Pau scored 26 with 8 rebounds, while stuffing Nene a few times on defense IS impressive. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I think the majority of fans expectations for Rose during this tournament were completely out of step with reality. Rose did exactly what I thought he was going to do. Focus on being the facilitator while working his way back into playing form. So he struggled with his shot, well, so did EVERYONE on Team USA. I don't hear people talking about how Steph Curry forgot how to shoot 3's or how everyone forgot how to shoot FT's. There's nothing "troubling" about his performance when that type of rust is the absolute norm for a player returning from a long absence. What would have been troubling is if he couldn't play in back-to-backs, or he was a step slower, or could no longer elevate as in the past. It's pretty evident that those fears can be assuaged now. The shots will start falling when he's had more time to acclimate himself back into the NBA game.

However, once the season begins, make no mistake ROSE WILL BE RUSTY. It is going to take him some games to get back to normal and fans NEED to accept that fact now or else the amount of kneejerk reaction posts will skyrocket on this board when he has a bad game.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
i dont think my expectations for Rose during this tournament were completely out of step with reality

lets be honest with ourself Rose played allot more poor than he should have....rusty or not 25% overall and 1-19 on 3's is awful...i understand he hasn't played in 2 years but damn has he even picked up a basketball in 2 years? lol

Rose did play some good on ball defense but personally thats all i seen that was good

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
clone worded this poorly. LOL.

I think he wanted to be excited that Pau was doing well, and somehow the Rose agenda continued.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Come on man, FIBA is a joke. It's like playing in an over-30 league.

Retired NBA stars could pop 20+ppg without breaking a sweat if they didn't have to share the ball.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
clone worded this poorly. LOL.

I think he wanted to be excited that Pau was doing well, and somehow the Rose agenda continued.
Ah someone got it. I sort of knew this would turn into a Rose thing anyway though. Seems the prevailing idea around these parts is that FIBA is the equivalent of Summer League where doing well means jack but doing bad means the world is going to implode. At least they're consistent in their ideas?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole gist of this is a tongue in cheek claim that if you're going to decide that Rose will suck this season based on FIBA, you have to also say Pau will have a good season because of FIBA if you don't want to be a hypocrite. I expect many a hypocrite anyway.
Umm who is saying Pau will have a good season based on FIBA? I would expect them to use the actual NBA games Pau played last year. Something you can't do for Rose.

You're creating an argument that doesn't exist.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Umm who is saying Pau will have a good season based on FIBA? I would expect them to use the actual NBA games Pau played last year. Something you can't do for Rose.

You're creating an argument that doesn't exist.
I've yet to see anyone who says Pau is going to have a good season based on anything. But my argument isn't that people are saying Pau will have a good season based on FIBA. Keep fishing.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've yet to see anyone who says Pau is going to have a good season based on anything. But my argument isn't that people are saying Pau will have a good season based on FIBA. Keep fishing.

What is your "argument"?