2014 Jay Cutler Discussion Thread

whick week do we start?

• Total voters

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Ok this is such a stupid argument, are posters really comparing the two QB's? If we had the same exact team as we do now and had our choice between Cutler and Rodgers... would the ones pounding their chest over Cutler really choose him over Rodgers? Cutler is on this team and he has been signed to a long term contract, so the Bears have tied themselves to him for better or worse. But to really compare Cutler to Rodgers and focus on one vague stat that doesn't go into any real detail by leaving it open ended with out saying how much time the QB has or whether the QB had the last possession of the game (because a QB can score to take the lead and then the defense give up a late TD and the loss count against the QB who did nothing to cause the loss) is just dumb and naive.

It's stats and posts like this that make fans look dumb because there is always more to it and when a stat is leaving out vital information and not going into depth on how they got there and looking at a sequence as a whole vs here is a time frame with a win/loss attached to it. That doesn't tell us much.

I would say the vast majority here no matter if they are a "fanboy" or "hater" would choose Rodgers over Cutler each time. It's not a knock on Cutler because he is a top 15 QB with potential to be top 10. But Rodgers is, and will be for a long time, a top 5 QB. So what is the purpose of arguing over this trivial stat when we all know who the better QB is.

Edit - this isn't to diminish Cutler's comebacks, but without the Bears advancing to the playoffs those comebacks don't mean too much to me.

Last edited:

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Has anyone found a stat that shows a stat that eliminates "tied" going into the 4th quarter. A team could be winning the entire game, gets tied and then takes the lead and that counts as a "comeback" win although they NEVER trailed. I wonder how many of these "comeback" wins were never comebacks.

nm-Looks like ESPN was the only site used the "tied or losing" in the 4th criteria. Pro football reference seems to have it right.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Has anyone found a stat that shows a stat that eliminates "tied" going into the 4th quarter. A team could be winning the entire game, gets tied and then takes the lead and that counts as a "comeback" win although they NEVER trailed. I wonder how many of these "comeback" wins were never comebacks.

nm-Looks like ESPN was the only site used the "tied or losing" in the 4th criteria. Pro football reference seems to have it right.

PFR has the best way of what constitutes a comeback.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Considering Mongo's chart shows that Cutler has been in the league for less time than the others in front of him and in some cases(like Manning) many more years, I'd say the comparison is pretty meaningless. Once again, you can try to tailor "facts" to skew your argument.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The fairer stat would be the percentage of 4th quarter come-backs per year played. Peyton Manning averaged 2.3 comeback per year. Funny enough Eli has averaged the same per year. Cutler has averaged 1.9 per. MattRyan, I believe leads this with a 2.5 per.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
THere is no doubt Jay has been clutch in non-playoff and non-critical games.

However, It's just that your "facts" are hard to take seriously when they're completely wrong...

2i6p89w.jpg

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_active.htm

Don't get all pissy because you are wrong and obviously can't read. The OP stat said in the final minutes of the 4th quarter...and the one you brought up was the 4th quarter. If you paid attention instead of talking out your hole you would have noticed it. Either way, Cutler completely dominated Rodgers in both factual comparisons so stop embarassing yourself and just say thanks to the OP.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
Ok this is such a stupid argument, are posters really comparing the two QB's? If we had the same exact team as we do now and had our choice between Cutler and Rodgers... would the ones pounding their chest over Cutler really choose him over Rodgers? Cutler is on this team and he has been signed to a long term contract, so the Bears have tied themselves to him for better or worse. But to really compare Cutler to Rodgers and focus on one vague stat that doesn't go into any real detail by leaving it open ended with out saying how much time the QB has or whether the QB had the last possession of the game (because a QB can score to take the lead and then the defense give up a late TD and the loss count against the QB who did nothing to cause the loss) is just dumb and naive.

It's stats and posts like this that make fans look dumb because there is always more to it and when a stat is leaving out vital information and not going into depth on how they got there and looking at a sequence as a whole vs here is a time frame with a win/loss attached to it. That doesn't tell us much.

I would say the vast majority here no matter if they are a "fanboy" or "hater" would choose Rodgers over Cutler each time. It's not a knock on Cutler because he is a top 15 QB with potential to be top 10. But Rodgers is, and will be for a long time, a top 5 QB. So what is the purpose of arguing over this trivial stat when we all know who the better QB is.

Edit - this isn't to diminish Cutler's comebacks, but without the Bears advancing to the playoffs those comebacks don't mean too much to me.

There you go again...trying to change the topic to who has been more clutch over the years and had more comeback wins in the clutch to who is a better qb. You just have to stop being a Rodgers homer and admit that the facts are the facts. Deal with it. Rodgers is a better qb.....but guess what? The OP topic is about clutch winning % in the latter minutes of the game when trailing so stick to that topic and here comes another brain buster math problem that you have had trouble with in the past....

51% > 17%. This concludes our lesson for today. Start a thread of who is the better qb if you want, but this topic....you just look silly...as usual

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Everyone here would take Rodgers over Cutler. If you say you wouldn't, you're lying.

That being said, Cutler is a good, clutch QB. We can win with him. Move along.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Packers were fielding a stronger team across the board for the majority of Rodgers' career. Its only now that your GM's shit drafting has caught up to reality.

The biggest thing, is that Rodgers has enjoyed more stability in offensive scheme.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
There you go again...trying to change the topic to who has been more clutch over the years and had more comeback wins in the clutch to who is a better qb. You just have to stop being a Rodgers homer and admit that the facts are the facts. Deal with it. Rodgers is a better qb.....but guess what? The OP topic is about clutch winning % in the latter minutes of the game when trailing so stick to that topic and here comes another brain buster math problem that you have had trouble with in the past....

51% > 17%. This concludes our lesson for today. Start a thread of who is the better qb if you want, but this topic....you just look silly...as usual

Where did I disagree with the stat numbnuts...all I'm saying is this arguing over who is more clutch is meaningless and stupid because those clutch wins don't mean dick if they aren't getting you in the playoffs. How many of those losses happened when the opposing team scored leaving less than a minute on the clock? I don't think those figures tell the whole story but I know you will latch onto anything and will revert back to the old "stick to the OP" versus having an intelligent conversation. You want to argue over this go right ahead but arguing with you is worst than arguing with a wall because you can't have an actual discussion. Any intelligent football fan knows Rodgers is head and shoulders better than Cutler (again not a knock on Cutler, just plain fact), so what does the "clutch" stat prove? Given a choice between Cutler and Rodgers would you choose Cutler over Rodgers because Cutler is more clutch?

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Alright, time to merge.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Where did I disagree with the stat numbnuts...all I'm saying is this arguing over who is more clutch is meaningless and stupid because those clutch wins don't mean dick if they aren't getting you in the playoffs. How many of those losses happened when the opposing team scored leaving less than a minute on the clock? I don't think those figures tell the whole story but I know you will latch onto anything and will revert back to the old "stick to the OP" versus having an intelligent conversation. You want to argue over this go right ahead but arguing with you is worst than arguing with a wall because you can't have an actual discussion. Any intelligent football fan knows Rodgers is head and shoulders better than Cutler (again not a knock on Cutler, just plain fact), so what does the "clutch" stat prove? Given a choice between Cutler and Rodgers would you choose Cutler over Rodgers because Cutler is more clutch?

QB who won Super Bowl=not really clutch

QB who's won 1 playoff game=clutch

:sweep:

Last edited:

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The biggest thing, is that Rodgers has enjoyed more stability in offensive scheme.

Rodgers is also more accurate and more careful with the ball and a better athlete too.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rodgers is also more accurate and more careful with the ball and a better athlete too.

Better athlete? Not even close-more slippery, maybe. But Cutler is significantly stronger, and has the bigger arm.

I will give you accuracy as well, but I also have to point out, that w/ Cutler being in his second season of Trestman's offense, his completion percentage is more than 4% higher than Rodgers' so far this season-and with more attempts.

edit, I wanted to go back and look at their numbers.

Jay ran a 4.7 40
Aaron ran a 4.7 40

Jay put up 23 reps on the bench, w/ a max of 405

Aaron did not do the bench at the combine, but did max 340 at his pro day.

So , how is Rodgers the "better athlete"?

Last edited:

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Better athlete? Not even close-more slippery, maybe. But Cutler is significantly stronger, and has the bigger arm.

I will give you accuracy as well, but I also have to point out, that w/ Cutler being in his second season of Trestman's offense, his completion percentage is more than 4% higher than Rodgers' so far this season-and with more attempts.

edit, I wanted to go back and look at their numbers.

Jay ran a 4.7 40
Aaron ran a 4.7 40

Jay put up 23 reps on the bench, w/ a max of 405

Aaron did not do the bench at the combine, but did max 340 at his pro day.

So , how is Rodgers the "better athlete"?

Rodgers is a better mover to my eye. Jay is a fine athlete but Rodgers seems smoother on the move. The Arm thing isn't that clear cut either, Rodgers has a gun.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Rodgers is a better mover to my eye. Jay is a fine athlete but Rodgers seems smoother on the move. The Arm thing isn't that clear cut either, Rodgers has a gun.

Cutler can rifle a football nearly 70mph, Rodgers tops out at 56mph.

It is clear cut