CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
DB54 disappeared completely. Was very surprised about that.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...omestic-abuse-allegations-20140917-story.html

Bears' Brandon Marshall still can't escape his past

By Dan Wiederer

The NFL remains under heavy fire with high-profile player misconduct creating a cyclone of negative publicity.

Domestic violence issues remain a hot topic in that conversation thanks to the Ray Rice saga as well as the child abuse allegations against Vikings running back Adrian Peterson and assault charges facing Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy.

And when domestic violence topics surface around the league, Bears receiver Brandon Marshall’s name often gets lifted from the footnotes, his turbulent past including a pile-up of domestic incidents that nearly derailed his career.

VOTE: Is it unfair to bring up Marshall's past allegations?
VOTE: Is it unfair to bring up Marshall's past allegations?
OPEN LINK
Marshall’s public battle with borderline personality disorder; his ongoing push to increase mental health awareness; and his clean track record in his two-plus years with the Bears have been well documented. What has become increasingly evident this week, however, is that the Pro Bowl receiver may never be able to fully bury the violent incidents from his past that others continue to dig up.

Tuesday night, ESPN’s documentary program “E:60” rolled out minor updates on a 2012 profile of Marshall that deeply chronicled his arrest record and experiences with domestic violence.

Marshall took exception to the network’s approach and voiced his criticisms on Twitter.

Then Wednesday, civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred had a news conference in Atlanta, using people from Marshall’s past as a means of applying pressure toward the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell.

With opportunistic timing, Allred demanded the league strengthen its investigation process into players accused of abusive and violent behavior.

lRelated Vikings owner: 'We made a mistake' with Peterson situation
BREAKING SPORTS
Vikings owner: 'We made a mistake' with Peterson situation
SEE ALL RELATED
That news conference, on the heels of the “E:60” episode, again redirected the focus on Marshall away from his ongoing reform by accentuating his troubled past.

Wednesday evening, Bears general manager Phil Emery rallied to support Marshall, who’s now in his third season with the Bears with no off-field legal troubles since arriving in 2012.

“Brandon has the full support of the Chicago Bears,” Emery said. “We were aware of his personal background when we traded for him in 2012 and equally aware of the tremendous efforts he made to bring positive changes in his life and in the lives of all the people around him.

“Since his arrival, Brandon has thrived in an environment that has been supportive. He has been a very positive, thoughtful and proactive leader and role model.”

Attorney sideshow distracts from NFL abuse issue
Attorney sideshow distracts from NFL abuse issue
David Haugh
Making it clear Wednesday that she had no new litigation, Allred used incidents from Marshall’s past to call for Goodell’s resignation. She also demanded the league to reexamine its investigative and disciplinary procedures.

“It’s easy just to say ‘Off with his head,’” Allred said. “And fine. Yeah, I’m in favor of (Goodell’s) resignation. But I do not think that alone will solve the problem.”

Allred was joined by Clarence Watley and Kristeena Spivey, the father and a close friend of Marshall’s former girlfriend Rasheedah Watley.

cComments
@jayevans20 I didn't know Tony Stewart was black?? Stop with the bringing race into this OK? I support Marshall and Peterson 100% . . . it's a witch hunt - but somebody YOU has to make it a racial issue. Get a life and quit blaming everything on the color of skin!!
MMFAMILY4
AT 11:27 PM SEPTEMBER 17, 2014
ADD A COMMENTSEE ALL COMMENTS
Marshall never has denied the chaos and recurring violence that plagued his relationship with Watley years ago. The NFL suspended him in August 2008 for what the it called “a pattern of conduct.” (His three-game penalty later was reduced to one.) The only criminal case involving Marshall and Watley that went to trial in 2009, ended with Marshall found not guilty of battery charges.

A subsequent civil suit Watley brought in 2012 eventually was dismissed.

Still, on Wednesday, Spivey and Clarence Watley used the stage Allred provided to detail several alleged violent episodes involving Marshall and Rasheedah Watley dating to 2006. They maintained Goodell never took their concerns seriously and failed to investigate the receiver thoroughly or discipline him properly.

Tuesday evening, ESPN’s rehashing of his past on “E:60” with little present-day context clearly irked Marshall. In a series of tweets, Marshall asserted ESPN misled him about the story and pushed to tell it in its own words.

Marshall case another blast to end Goodell's run
Marshall case another blast to end Goodell's run
Steve Rosenbloom
Read one tweet: “I trust Espn to tell my story & they lied to me once again to get my interview. Media exploits & tells thier own stories. Disappoints again.”

Marshall had been asked to be part of the “E:60” update but declined. The network instead included interviews with him that were more than two years old without explicit explanation of that dynamic.

ESPN responded to Marshall’s blasts in a statement.

“This story was originally told two years ago on E:60,” the statement read, “and we felt it was particularly worth telling again at this point given what’s been in the news the last week. Marshall’s story brings an important perspective: the story of a player who faced similar circumstances and through persistent dedication, changed his life, in an effort to regain the respect of fans and players.”

Marshall has said being diagnosed as having borderline personality disorder was a catalyst for his apparent turnaround.

The receiver’s pursuit of treatment for that as well as his foundation’s efforts to stimulate mental health awareness have been a big part of Marshall’s upturn.

Two weeks ago, on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL,” he discussed his personal experiences with domestic violence, pushing to move beyond that past.

“I come from an environment where it wasn’t the family that prayed together, stayed together,” Marshall said. “It was the family that fought against each other stayed together. I saw women as the aggressors. I saw men as the aggressors. And I think the first half of my career really painted a picture of me being a product of my environment.

“I’m just thankful that now I’m in a position where I can take my story and tell these guys, ‘Listen, man, you don’t have to be a product of your environment. That is the wrong path.’”

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...d-of-his-bears-career-again.html#.VBrOmC5dWAY

Charles Tillman’s injury could mean the end of his Bears’ career — again

BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter September 17, 2014 10:49PM

He sounded much the same as he did last year, the last time a ruptured right triceps knocked him out for the season — encouraged by his own play but unsure about his future with the Bears.

Just three days after his season ended in San Francisco, cornerback Charles Tillman wasn’t ready to make declarations about whether he’d ever wear the team’s navy jersey again.

“That’s not up to me,” he said. “But you will see me on the sidelines [this season]. I just won’t be in uniform …

“I’ll be in the sweats uniform. My cheerleading uniform, that’s the one I’ll be in.”

Once the season ends — and his $3.25 million contract expires — the Bears, again, will have a decision to make.

Tillman will, too. Last offseason, he flirted with teams, including Lovie Smith’s Buccaneers, before deciding to rejoin the only franchise he’s ever known.

“Right now, I’m in the now,” Tillman said. “Just trying to rehab, recover and get my triceps right. That’s first and foremost.”

Tillman said he didn’t know yet whether his injury would require surgery the way it did last season. He and the Bears both liked the way he played this season before Tillman was injured shoving 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree in the third quarter Sunday.

“I feel pretty good as far as what I’m able to do … body-wise,” Tillman said. “I feel real good. It was only two games, but I felt good, I felt healthy. I didn’t feel tired or slow or anything like that.”

There are two major differences between this year and last, though: Tillman, 33, is a year older, and the team used its first-round pick on Kyle Fuller, who will start in his place.

Tillman said he’ll help to mentor the rookie, but will let defensive backs coach Jon Hoke take the lead.

“If [Fuller] has a weakness — which we all do — to kind of help him,” he said. “I’m taking a backseat. That’s coach Hoke’s job. But if I see something out on the field that I can possibly help him out with, yeah.

“If he lends me his ear, I’ll tell him everything and anything he wants to know.”

Asked if he’ll teach Fuller his trademark “Peanut Punch,” Tillman said defensive back Sherrick McManis has “mastered” it.

Despite his tears and emotion on the sideline Sunday, Tillman said he wasn’t sure that his injury was season-ending — only that he couldn’t use his right arm — until the team conducted an MRI the next day.

“Angry, frustrated,” he said. “Frustrated from a standpoint of working really hard coming off of last year’s injury and having the same injury. There was a lot of frustration. But at the end of the day, it’s so small.”

The reigning Walter Payton Man of the Year — who Wednesday night participated in the Sierra Mist Exquisite Collaboration Billboard Project, displaying an art project that he will raffle off for his foundation Oct. 13 — has tried to keep a healthy perspective.

It’s that attitude that the NFL will miss this season — and this week — given the domestic violence scandals surrounding Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson and others.

To which Tillman has a message for fans.

“The thing that I can say is, there are a lot of good players in the NFL,” he said. “Don’t let this one thing — or two things — make us look bad. There are a lot of guys in the NFL that have a great and stellar reputation. I look to those guys. I think those are the guys we should focus on.”

Email: pfinley@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...as-gloria-allred-blasts-nfl.html#.VBrOwy5dWAY

Brandon Marshall’s past revisited as Gloria Allred blasts NFL

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter September 17, 2014 10:49PM

With domestic-abuse cases in the media spotlight, a high-profile civil-rights lawyer called a news conference Wednesday in Atlanta to blast the NFL’s handling of the years-old allegations against Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall.

It prompted a statement from general manager Phil Emery in defense of Marshall.

Attorney Gloria Allred claimed the league and commissioner Roger Goodell did not properly investigate Marshall’s incidents with ex-girlfriend Rasheedah Watley, which led to arrests in 2007 and 2008 when he was with the Denver Broncos.

Allred said “this isn’t a case” against Marshall and the NFL, but “our focus is on the [investigative] process” in light of the Ray Rice, Greg Hardy and Adrian Peterson developments.

“This issue is so much bigger than Brandon Marshall,” Allred said. “This issue is about the NFL and what it needs to do in the future.”

Joining Allred at the news conference were Watley’s father, Clarence, and her friend Kristeena Spivey, who read statements alleging that they were ignored by the NFL and Goodell despite being informed of Marshall’s alleged actions.

Allred and Clarence Watley called for Goodell to resign. Allred said Rasheedah Watley isn’t interested in being interviewed.

“It wasn’t like the commissioner was in the dark about what was going on with Brandon Marshall and my daughter,” Clarence Watley said. “There was no way he could be out of the loop on that many instances.”

Marshall was suspended for three games by Goodell on Aug. 6, 2008, for violating the league’s personal-conduct policy after incidents with Watley in March 2008. The suspension would be reduced to one game.

In August 2008, Marshall was charged with two misdemeanor counts of simple battery. In August 2009, he was found not guilty.

Marshall said on Twitter late Wednesday that he will discuss his story and the NFL’s stance on domestic abuse Thursday.

Marshall’s past is well-documented. His story was just featured Tuesday on ESPN’s “E:60,” which Marshall criticized on Twitter, and will later be detailed on NFL Network’s “A Football Life” on Friday.

Marshall has become a team leader since joining the Bears in 2012, using his platform to raise awareness for mental-health issues.

While a member of the Miami Dolphins, Marshall announced at a news conference in July 2011 that he was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

“Brandon has the full support of the Chicago Bears,” Emery said. “We were aware of his personal background when we traded for him in 2012 and equally aware of the tremendous efforts he made to bring positive changes in his life and in the lives of all the people around him.

“Since his arrival, Brandon has thrived in an environment that has been supportive. He has been a very positive, thoughtful and proactive leader and role model. He has acknowledged his past struggles and shared his story in an effort to help others improve their lives. Brandon has been at the forefront of mental-health awareness and has extended himself in an unprecedented way to help fellow players in the NFL. He has helped himself through helping others, and we are proud to have him as a teammate.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...ferguson-will-sutton-making-early-impact.html

Rookie DTs Ego Ferguson, Will Sutton making early impact

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter September 17, 2014 10:49PM

The moment belonged to rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller. His first career interception turned the tide against the San Francisco 49ers.

And there to help block during his first interception return were fellow rookies Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton.

During and before that play, the trenches belonged to the two young defensive tackles.

“They were in the game when the game was at stake,” coach Marc Trestman said. “Will was, Ego was. They played well for the time they were in there.”

The season is only two games old, but the Bears’ 2014 draft class already is making an impact.

Fuller stands out after his two-interception show in Santa Clara, California. But Ferguson and Sutton quietly have built on the confidence the Bears showed in them by making them their top reserves up front. Safety Brock Vereen, meanwhile, handled impromptu cornerback duties well against the 49ers.

All of it bodes well for the Bears, particularly general manager Phil Emery, who has invested 11 draft picks in defensive players in his three years and has accepted the criticism over the ups and downs of end-turned-linebacker Shea McClellin.

“You just try to evaluate [the rookies] week in and week out and make sure they understand there’s only two ways to go, and the way we want you to go is to get better,” Trestman said.

That has held true for Ferguson and Sutton. Their playing time increased Sunday night because veteran Jeremiah Ratliff suffered a concussion. But their snaps already were set to increase from the opener against the Buffalo Bills. Ferguson went from 12 to 21 plays, and Sutton’s increased from 11 to 31. Sutton’s pass-rushing abilities have shown up with two quarterback hurries in Pro Football Focus’ reviews.

“They’re doing a great job,” defensive tackle Stephen Paea said. “[Defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni] completely trusts those two when they are called.”

The Bears are confident enough to play them together, too. Both were on the field for Fuller’s first interception in the fourth quarter, and Sutton pursued 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick to his left to help lead to Fuller’s second pick.

Against the Bills, the rookie duo spent every play but one together.

“We’re trying to ride this thing together to the end right here,” Ferguson said. “Just do something different. They drafted us in the second and third rounds, and we’re trying to help the team in any way possible.’’

Sutton and Ferguson embrace their roles, too. Ferguson primarily backs up Paea at nose, while Sutton spells Ratliff at three-technique tackle. They understand how important having a deep defensive line can be for teams. They have to look no further than the Super Bowl-winning Seattle Seahawks in 2013.

“You look at every great D-line the last couple of years, they all had a rotation,” Ferguson said. “It wasn’t about who starts. It’s just about keeping the high effort and production up while you’re in there.

“It’s all about production. If you can go 15 plays strong, that’s a great thing instead of going 40 plays [tired].”

Especially late in close games. Just see Sunday night.

“A healthy rotation keeps guys fresh,” Sutton said. “For those fourth-quarter games, you got to bring it every play. With the rotation we got going on, everybody stays fresh, everybody stays good.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...e-has-eyes-on-jets-dt-sheldon-richardson.html

Bears O-line has eyes on Jets DT Sheldon Richardson

BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter September 17, 2014 10:49PM

The same is true in Week 3, though the Jets’ Sheldon Richardson is 11 years younger than the 49ers’ Justin Smith, who has played in five Pro Bowls.

“Sheldon is so versatile in the same light as Justin is,” right guard Kyle Long said. “He’s got those young legs, man. He’s flying around. It’s been the same since he was at Missouri — just one of those forces that’s a wrecking ball. You’ve got to use your technique and do everything you can to slow him down.”

At 6-3, 294 pounds, the reigning defensive rookie of the year anchors a 3-4 front that has allowed 105 rushing yards, fewest in the NFL. The Bears’ rushing attack is third-worst, making handoffs to Matt Forte the most daunting part of Monday night’s matchup.

Richardson is a defensive tackle, but moves around. He’ll line up against Long, rookie Michael Ola and tackles, too.

Though he played in a 4-3 base in college, the Jets didn’t hesitate to draft him No. 13 in 2013 and fit him into their system.

“It doesn’t matter,” Jets coach Rex Ryan said. “You can take a good player and just put him out there.

“We play 4-3, 3-4. We play all kinds of things. He’s a multitalented athlete. He plays with a great motor and is a very talented player.”

That multiplicity concerns coach Marc Trestman the most.

“They’re coming from everywhere,” he said. “Overloaded blitzes, different fronts, multiple coverages. [Ryan] really does an excellent job of creating a lot of uncertainty — not only for the quarterback, but just in terms of determining who your line’s going to block, who your back’s going to block.”

Bears add three

The Bears signed three players to the practice squad — receiver/returner Chris Williams and undrafted 2014 free agents Blake Annen, a tight end, and Jordan Sullen, a cornerback.

Williams made his debut Sunday night before being waived Monday.

This and that

49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick told reporters he will appeal a fine of more than $11,000 for foul language Sunday against defensive end Lamarr Houston.

◆ Rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller was named NFC defensive player of the week thanks in part to two fourth-quarter interceptions.

Email: pfinley@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...games-vs-bad-jets-secondary.html#.VBrPLC5dWAY

Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery should have big games vs. bad Jets secondary

BY MARK POTASH Staff Reporter September 17, 2014 10:49PM

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan was noticeably curt and vague when asked how Packers wide receiver Jordy Nelson was able to torch his defense for 209 yards and a touchdown on nine receptions in a 31-24 loss last week at Lambeau Field.

“He made some plays,” Ryan said. “They were jump balls, one-on-one balls and he came down with ’em. That was it.”

If it was as simple as that, the Jets (1-1) might be in for an even greater challenge against the Bears (1-1) on Monday night at MetLife Stadium. When it comes to corralling one-on-one jump balls, the Bears’ duo of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery is tough to top.

“These guys are matchup nightmares,” Ryan said. “Brandon Marshall … is right up there with the best receivers in the game. He uses his big body. He can go deep on you. Run routes. Inside, outside. He’s an outstanding player.

“And Alshon Jeffery is a guy that just burst on the scene last year, but he’s a big guy that has great ball skills and he can run. He’s just a massive target.”

Defending Marshall and Jeffery will be arguably the key matchup for a Jets defense that is unsettled at best in the secondary. Dee Milliner — the ninth overall pick in the 2013 draft — still is recovering from a high ankle sprain he suffered in training camp. Without Milliner, the Jets have been relying on 2013 backups Antonio Allen, Darrin Walls and Kyle Wilson at cornerback.

The secondary arguably is the weak link to a pretty solid defense. Last season the Jets were 11th in total defense, but allowed an NFL-high nine pass plays of 50 or more yards. (The Bears were the only defense to allow none.)

Last week’s loss to the Packers typified the Jets’ difficulties. Milliner, playing for the first time since suffering the ankle injury on Aug. 10, was burned on Nelson’s 80-yard touchdown reception from Aaron Rodgers that broke a 24-24 tie in the third quarter. Milliner, still not 100 percent, took himself out of the game after that play.

The Jets are hopeful Milliner will play against the Bears. The former Alabama star struggled early last season as a rookie, but played better in the second half.

“Last month of the season, he really came on,” Ryan said, “and unfortunately he gets this ankle injury and certainly last week wasn’t his best, that’s for sure. But he’s got a chance. The young man can play. He can play the football in the air. He can run. So we’ve just got to get him healthy and get him back on the field.

“Shut-down corner? I think he’ll be a good one. I don’t think there’s any doubt he’ll be a good one.”

The Bears have their own health issues that could affect that matchup. Marshall (ankle) and Jeffery (hamstring) both were affected by injuries that prevented them from practicing last week.

Jeffery, who had three receptions for 47 yards, was particularly hampered by his injury. But coach Marc Trestman said he did not aggravate it. “So hopefully we’ll see more improvement as the week progresses.”

Email: mpotash@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...-roger-goodells-resignation.html#.VBrPUi5dWAY

Father of woman Brandon Marshall dated calling for Roger Goodell’s resignation

ASSOCIATED PRESS September 17, 2014 5:04PM

MARIETTA, Ga. — The father of a woman who once dated NFL receiver Brandon Marshall is calling for the league’s commissioner to resign because he’s disappointed in the way it handled his daughter’s abuse case.

Clarence Watley spoke Wednesday at a news conference about his daughter, Rasheedah Watley, who he said was abused by Marshall.

Marshall was with the Denver Broncos and now plays for the Chicago Bears. He was suspended for three games in 2008, but the suspension was reduced to one game. He has denied the allegations.

Watley says he and others wrote to Commissioner Roger Goodell about the case and never heard back from league officials. Watley called the NFL’s investigation one-sided.

Attorney Gloria Allred called the press conference amid increasing attention on how the league handles domestic violence allegations.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I've yet to receive an ounce of respect on this forum, how could they ever lose any?

rodney.jpg
Didn't you receive your honorary Fucktard Gaggle certificate and pin ? I may have the wrong mailing address.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Much like Lance Briggs, ole has redeemed himself in week 2. Bot may have suffered a season ending injury.

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The news threads are why I started visiting the CBMB. I once thought DB was an insider or something .... Ends up he's a goddamn pool cleaner!?

Hahahaha. I didnt know that he was a pool cleaner.
Now I know why he didnt pay me after he lost a bet with me on the CBMBDs. I pm'd him my address for the $50 and he never responded.
I bet him that Earl Bennett would not get 21 or more pass receptions in his first season with the BEARs.
I always liked his source for the news but hated his opinions. The dude always had the I am always right mentality.