Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Why the lack of news threads guys? Dating back to the CBMB days, I used to get all my news from one of you two, and DB. With no more DB, you guys should be picking up the slack on our daily Bears fix. You guys used to be savvy veterans, but now your lack of commitment has me concerned. I'm starting to think you've lost all respect for Rush and miss the old regime of BM1, and just refuse to be leaders on this forum. I've been severely disappointed in both of your posting performances thus far this young season. You guys are going to need to step your game up or this may be your last season on CCS. I'm sorry to say that we may have to cut you guys loose for younger, more hungry posters that still have the heart to give us the Bears news we all crave.

Last edited:

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I've yet to receive an ounce of respect on this forum, how could they ever lose any?

rodney.jpg

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
At least you run a tighter ship than Goodell.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Been slammed at work the past couple months (about to head in now) but for old time's sake:

NEWS

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-isaiah-frey-rashad-ross-20140916-story.html

Bears play roster roulette after injuries, needs arise

By Rich Campbell contact the reporter

The Bears on Tuesday promoted cornerback Isaiah Frey from the practice squad, choosing the third-year pro to help account for the season-ending injury to starter Charles Tillman.

They also promoted speedy return man Rashad Ross from the practice squad, the latest turn of a carousel the Bears continue to ride in search of Devin Hester's successor.

To make room, they waived receiver/returner Chris Williams and running back Shaun Draughn and released tight end Matthew Mulligan.

Jay Cutler against 49ers? Calm, cool, collected
Jay Cutler against 49ers? Calm, cool, collected
Dan Wiederer
Given Frey's experience playing 16 games as the Bears' slot cornerback last season, he could take over that position with Tim Jennings returning to playing outside full-time. Before Tillman got hurt against the 49ers, Jennings moved inside in sub packages while first-round pick Kyle Fuller played outside opposite Tillman.

Frey suffered a right hamstring injury in training camp Aug. 4 and missed more than two weeks. He was waived from the active roster Aug. 26.

lRelated Week 3: Brad Biggs' NFL power rankings
CHICAGO BEARS
Week 3: Brad Biggs' NFL power rankings
SEE ALL RELATED
Ross is expected to get his chance in the return game after Senorise Perry’s unsuccessful two-game stint. Ross averaged 32 yards on four kickoff returns for the Redskins in exhibition games.

“We watched him in Washington and we liked his explosion,” special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said last week. “We liked his fearlessness. He’s not the biggest guy in the world (6 feet, 167 pounds), but he is very fearless with the ball in his hand. And we liked his production.”

Perry, an undrafted rookie, had two 21-yard returns through the first two games. But coaches were not pleased in Week 1 with his decisions about which kickoffs to run out of the end zone.

Charles Tillman
CAPTION
Charles Tillman
Jose M. Osorio / Chicago Tribune
Injured Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman walks off the field after Sunday night's victory at San Francisco.
CAPTION
Charles Tillman
Brian Cassella / Chicago Tribune
Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman is helped off the field after injuring his triceps in the third quarter on Sunday.
CAPTION
Charles Tillman
San Francisco 49ers running back Frank Gore charges through Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman (33) on a second-quarter play that was called back on a penalty.
CAPTION
Charles Tillman
Alshon Jeffrey and Charles Tillman warmup before on Sunday's game at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, Calif.
CAPTION
Charles Tillman
Chicago Bears cornerback Charles Tillman works out before the game on Sunday.
Draughn was beaten in protection on the punt the 49ers blocked in the first quarter. He also was penalized twice on special teams.

Mulligan's departure could be the result of fullback Tony Fiammetta's recovery from a strained hamstring.

“A healthy Tony Fiammetta comes into play on special teams — and we need that right now — and certainly the 15 or 20 percent of the time as a lead back,” coach Marc Trestman said. “I know Matt (Forte) likes running with Tony leading the way.”

cComments
Got something to say? Start the conversation and be the first to comment.
ADD A COMMENT
The transactions left the Bears with one vacant spot on their active roster, which they are expected to fill before practice Thursday. Meanwhile, they will gauge the status of several injured players and determine their needs.

Cornerback Sherrick McManis, a special teams standout, could miss more game time with the quadriceps injury he suffered against the 49ers, although it’s not believed to be a long-term injury.

What we learned about Bears in Week 2
What we learned about Bears in Week 2
Rich Campbell
Defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff (concussion) and safety Chris Conte (left shoulder) will be evaluated daily with the hope they can play Monday night against the Jets. Defensive end Trevor Scott sprained his right foot against the 49ers, and his status for Monday is unknown.

The Bears also re-signed defensive tackle Roy Philon to their practice squad.

Tribune reporter Brad Biggs contributed

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...o-shine-but-losing-charles-tillman-hurts.html

Kyle Fuller has chance to shine, but losing Charles Tillman hurts

BY PATRICK FINLEY Staff Reporter September 16, 2014 9:27PM

The Bears wanted Charles Tillman to mentor Kyle Fuller, but not from the sideline. They wanted Fuller to grow with more snaps, but not like this, with Tillman out for the season after tearing his right biceps Sunday night.

So when coach Marc Trestman is asked about the idea of Fuller improving because he’ll be playing more, he hesitates.

Throwing rookies in the fire has long-term benefits — especially one who wide receiver Brandon Marshall, prone to exaggeration, said could be Hall of Famer — but the Bears were a better defense with Tillman than they will be without him.

Trestman would rather not think about the correlation between snaps and rookie improvement.

He’d rather not be in that quandary in the first place.

‘‘I wouldn’t want to create that formula for success,’’ he said Tuesday at Halas Hall. ‘‘It would be easy to say that the more reps you get, the more opportunity to get better, because you’re playing against optimal talent each and every week. So I think you can consider that — you’re hoping you would improve because you’re getting more reps and more work. And that’s what you’re looking to do anyway is just to get better. I could see that happening. Hopefully it will.’’

‘‘Hope’’ is the key word. Despite Fuller’s stellar coming-out party Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers — Trestman was as content with the Bears’ defense as he has been since Week 3 last year— the Bears know life without Tillman will be a challenge.

‘‘Certainly, it’s a loss,’’ Trestman said.

The team moved to fill Tillman’s spot Tuesday, promoting nickelback Isaiah Frey, who played all 16 games last season, from the practice squad. Tim Jennings, the corner-turned-nickel, figures to play outside on passing downs. Sherrick McManis, who injured his quadriceps Sunday, is a special-teams stalwart; safety Brock Vereen won’t slide over to corner despite his utilityman turn Sunday.

Tillman can tutor Fuller from within Halas Hall, though telling won’t have nearly the same impact as showing.

‘‘One thing I do with Charles, really just seeing him on the field and being on the field with him, there’s ways I can take things from him,’’ Fuller said.

The Bears’ newest starter hadn’t talked to Tillman since news of his season-ending injury, but ‘‘I’m sure he’ll be around, trying to help us out as much as he can,’’ he said. Tillman’s level of involvement will be up to him, Trestman said.

In any case, the Bears’ youth movement in the secondary has started 14 weeks early. They were the league’s third-oldest team when the season began — behind the Oakland Raiders and New York Giants, who are both winless — with an average age of 26.72 years.

Fuller doesn’t turn 23 until February. Frey turns 25 in April.

‘‘I definitely feel like I have a lot of confidence, but at the same time I’m always going out there trying to get better,’’ Fuller said. ‘‘You can always get better. Always staying humble, and it just comes down to building on it and getting better.’’

Growing up in a football family has eased the transition for Fuller, whose brothers are a former NFL player, a current one and a college star. When he checked his phone after the win Sunday night, he found a chain text message from them, praising his play. He talked to all three before he left the stadium.

That link has been noticed by teammates.

‘‘I think I’m going to continue to handle it,’’ Fuller said, ‘‘the same way I’ve started.’’

That’s comforting for the Bears, who’d rather not worry about his starting turn this early — but don’t have a choice.

Email: pfinley@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...e-running-game-must-improve.html#.VBqrrC5dWLM

Bears aware running game must improve

BY MARK POTASH Staff Reporter September 16, 2014 9:27PM

Under former coach Lovie Smith, victory was a cure-all that covered up all but the Bears’ most glaring warts. Under coach Marc Trestman, though, the Bears live in a real world, even after one of the biggest comeback victories in franchise history.

The Bears scored four touchdowns in overcoming a 17-0 deficit to beat the San Francisco 49ers 28-20 on Sunday at Levi’s Stadium. But they also gained only 216 yards, their fewest in 18 games under Trestman. And they rushed for only 46 yards on 17 carries, including 25 on a scramble by Jay Cutler. Matt Forte rushed for 21 yards on 12 carries.

‘‘We were very poor in our run game,’’ Trestman said ‘‘Very difficult defense to run against, but the tape showed us that we have some work to do, and it got the guys’ attention.’’

Indeed, it did.

‘‘I was embarrassed,’’ guard Kyle Long said. ‘‘We need to run the ball. I know we got the win on the road, and it was big. I’m sure everybody else will echo that. . . . [But] you need to run the ball in the [NFL]. We’ll be better at that.’’

Injury update

Safety Chris Conte (shoulder) and defensive tackle Jeremiah Ratliff (concussion) are day-to-day, Trestman said.

‘‘I think we’ll know more on Thursday as to how [they’re] going to practice and if [they’re] going to practice,’’ he said.

Trestman said receiver Alshon Jeffery wasn’t 100 percent against the 49ers but didn’t aggravate his hamstring injury.

‘‘I think the extra days off [because of the Monday night game], that’s really going to help him,’’ Trestman said.

Not-so-special teams

Trestman acknowledged the Bears need a lot of work on special teams after a difficult game against the 49ers that featured a blocked punt, six penalties and two poor returns. He emphasized that youth and inexperience are factors.

‘‘We had a number of mistakes,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘We lost contain at times. We had some double-team issues, some decision-making issues by a very young group. We’ve got to . . . continue to teach and get a very young group of core players better.’’

Senorise Perry, who returned the opening kickoff from seven yards deep in the end zone and only reached the Bears’ 14, has a tenuous hold on the kick-return job.

‘‘I think he’ll be back there in some fashion,’’ Trestman said. ‘‘We’ll [decide] Thursday or Friday which position he’ll be at.’’

Frey up, Draughn out

The Bears promoted cornerback Isaiah Frey and receiver/kick returner Rashad Ross from their practice squad to the 53-man roster. Frey presumably will play nickel back, with Tim Jennings moving to full-time cornerback opposite rookie Kyle Fuller in the wake of Charles Tillman’s season-ending triceps injury. Frey played nickel back in all 16 games last season.

The Bears cut veteran running back Shaun Draughn, tight
end Matthew Mulligan and receiver Chris Williams. Draughn missed a block that led to a blocked punt and had a holding penalty on the opening kickoff against the 49ers.

The Bears also re-signed defensive tackle Roy Philon to the practice squad.

Email: mpotash@suntimes.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...bears-the-unlikeliest-of-as.html#.VBqr1S5dWLM

Awarding the Bears the unlikeliest of A’s

BY HUB ARKUSH For Sun-Times Media September 16, 2014 9:27PM

The Bears’ 28-20 come-from-behind victory over the San Francisco 49ers was a game for the ages, but that didn’t make the review of the game tape any more pleasant.

The reason the win was so impressive is that the Bears were so bad for the first 40 minutes, they appeared to have dug a hole impossible to climb out of. Jay Cutler was one of the few bright spots. Before the Bears’ last possession of the first half, Cutler was 7-for-14 for 28 yards. From that point on, he was 16-for-20 for 148 yards with four touchdowns, zero interceptions and 3-23 rushing, including a 25-yard scramble to ignite his ballclub.

Cutler gets an A for one of his best games as a Bear. Matt Forte, on the other hand, gets a C for one of his weakest performances in years: 12-21 rushing and five catches for 15 yards. The only reason it’s not worse is he got no help from his teammates.

The offensive line was a big part of Forte’s problem but gets a C-plus because the pass protection with Roberto Garza and Matt Slauson on the bench and Brian de la Puente and Michael Ola in their spots wasn’t bad. Justin Smith worked Ola most of the night, but that’s not unusual with Smith. Jordan Mills had a particularly bad night, while Kyle Long played very well again.

Receiver Brandon Marshall gets an A-plus for his three TDs, even though he was less than 100 percent and ineffective for stretches. His first TD catch was as great a play as you’ll see all year.

Give tight end Martellus Bennett a B-plus for being available for Cutler all night while the rest of the receiving crew struggled, and for improved run blocking over Week 1, even if the overall team run blocking was insufficient. The rest of the corps earned a C to a C-plus. Alshon Jeffery was clearly laboring, and his one big 29-yard catch to set up the Bears’ final score was an underthrow to the back shoulder that Chris Culliver just didn’t see. Santonio Holmes, Josh Bellamy and Dante Rosario did little to pick their teammates up.

The defensive line gets a C-minus. Other than Willie Young’s two sacks late in the game and Stephen Paea doing a decent job pressuring up the middle on pass plays, the whole group was mediocre to poor. The 49ers rushed for 101 yards on 21 carries through three quarters because of a number of large gaps inside and quarterback Colin Kaepernick breaking containment at least three times. Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston were particularly ineffective, while Jeremiah Ratliff was again the only lineman to earn a positive grade before leaving with a concussion.

Lance Briggs was significantly better against the run than he was in Week 1. Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic were improved, if still average, while D.J. Williams had a tough night. As a group, the linebackers were a B-minus.

I’ve got a B-plus for the secondary. Charles Tillman was playing well before getting hurt, and Chris Conte made a brilliant play on his interception before leaving with a shoulder injury. Kyle Fuller was the second-biggest reason the Bears won after Marshall, and the rest of the DBs were at least average, holding the Niners to 186 yards passing over the first 48 minutes before their last desperation drive.

Special teams are a problem, and the coaching was spotty as clock management and play-calling were curious at times.

The bottom line is if the Bears play just 18 to 20 minutes in each of the rest of their games, they’ll be a less-than-.500 team. But for this game, give them an A-plus for somehow stealing a victory from well past the jaws and deep into the belly of defeat.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...r-craves-action-not-tv-talk.html#.VBqsDi5dWLM

What’s next for Brian Urlacher?

BY RICK TELANDER Sports Columnist September 16, 2014 10:30PM

Where’s our old buddy Brian Urlacher headed?

It was pretty easy to tell where he was going back when he roamed Soldier Field in his No. 54 Bears jersey, looking for something to annihilate. He was headed into the mayhem. The place where, for 13 seasons, he was comfortable.

Now? Well, Tuesday morning he announced he was quitting his job as an analyst with Fox Sports, a gig that had him appearing on Fox Sports 1’s ‘‘America’s Pregame’’ and Sunday morning’s ‘‘Fox NFL Kickoff.’’

It wasn’t an overly demanding schedule, though he had to stay well-versed in football matters, and he did have to fly to Los Angeles every weekend. But post-NFL career, nothing comes easy for most former stars.

That is, nothing comes easy except to those former players who were either a) always eager to get out or b) thrilled with the idea of becoming an actor or joining the media. Think Michael Strahan, Deion Sanders, Michael Irvin, Steve Young, Mark Schlereth, Boomer Esiason, etc. In fact, many of those jocks-turned-media-creatures seem way too eager — from my vantage point, anyway — to be slick and superficial and phony as clowns. I mean, have you ever seen more grown, large men howling with laughter over something that is not funny than former NFL players and coaches in their pregame roundtable shows?

If somebody says, ‘‘It might rain like cats and dogs in Seattle,’’ the others almost need corrective hernia surgery from their doubled-up hyena howling.

OK, I’ll stop. But the reason I bring that fraudulence up at all is that Urlacher doesn’t seem to have that funny bone. He never looked comfortable doing TV. He did a lot of endorsements and ads — he wasn’t too bad; I’m thinking Comcast and McDonald’s, mostly — but he admitted he was ‘‘uncomfortable appearing in commercials.’’

The truth is, he was — and is — uncomfortable doing just about anything that might be described as work, other than playing football. And at 36, even if he worked out forever, he’s too old.

‘‘I liked the shows, but the travel got to me quite a bit,’’ he said of quitting the Fox job. ‘‘I called the producers and I called the guys who run all the shows and talked to them, and they were very understanding of my situation.’’

But then he offered up just a little more, tellingly.

‘‘That was the main reason for me not doing it anymore.’’

Main reason. Not the only reason.

We don’t know what the other reasons may be. But I can assure you, being uncomfortable just talking about football was one of them.

Urlacher, one of the greatest middle linebackers in the history of the game, lived for the maelstrom of the pit, for all its simplistic but rules-governed brutality, more than most humans can understand. He never liked explaining it — he just wanted to do it.

And it was sad for him to not get that final year he wanted with the Bears, when, for whatever reason, he and his agent and Bears GM Phil Emery could not come to an agreement. Maybe the Bears never wanted the aging eight-time Pro Bowler back at all. But Urlacher could have made the Bears twist in the wind if he had just said, I’ll play one more year for whatever you pay me. Even if it’s nothing.

His bitterness with the way he left the Bears — and the game — in 2013 likely will be sanded down with time. But for now, he is an outsider, a man who, I’m saying, is a little lost.

Sure, he loves golf. He’s pretty good at it, those in the know say. Yippee. Try playing golf for the next 40-50 years and see how stimulating that is. If it’s one-100th as joyful as knocking the loving snot out of a ball carrier, please inform me.

On ‘‘The Spiegel and Mannelly Show’’ on Tuesday on WSCR-AM (670), Urlacher talked about a few things. He was on the show, no doubt, because former Bears long snapper Patrick Mannelly, the new co-host, was a teammate of his for over a decade, and, well, Mannelly’s one of those guys who seems to have eaten up the postgame media life.

He said of Bears cornerback Charles Tillman, out for the year, and maybe forever, that, ‘‘Peanut was still playing at a high level before he got hurt. I’m assuming his decision won’t involve Chicago, because I heard he was pretty close to leaving this year.’’

That’s good football gossip. But it’s something Urlacher said because he’s honest and probably wasn’t thinking about what it implied: that the Bears don’t care for their old stars.

Maybe someday he’ll find what he wants to do. And he’ll love the Bears again.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...field-issues-cutler-tillman.html#.VBqsOi5dWLM

Mike Ditka: Don’t blame Roger Goodell

BY MIKE DITKA September 16, 2014 9:27PM

Four downs with Ditka:

1. Who are the Bears — the team that lost to the Bills opening week or the team that came back from a 17-point deficit to defeat a good 49ers team?

I’m sure at times they have to ask themselves who they are. I thought it was one of the great Bears games I ever watched. I really enjoyed it.

It looked like Marc [Trestman] wanted to run the ball, and they weren’t able to. But [Jay] Cutler did a great job — and [Brandon] Marshall was unbelievable, too — of taking what San Francisco gave them. He took advantage of what was going on in the secondary.

The defense is flying around out there. They’re not always in the right place, but I see significant reason for some optimism. I mean they’re 1-1 with everyone else in the division and they look like they can play with anybody if they do the right thing.

---

2. Did you see a different side of Jay Cutler in that game, especially after he took the big hit?

I like Jay Cutler, so you’re talking to the wrong guy. I think Jay is as good as anybody in the game. He just can’t turn it over, I don’t care who you are. When you turn it over you are not very good, and you are not going to be perceived as being good. That’s just the way it is.
I saw a lot of leadership from him. I saw a lot of courage, a lot of guts, a lot of commitment. He came back and put the team on his shoulders and they went to work.

---

3. Charles Tillman has been a solid player for years, but he’s gone for the season and Kyle Fuller will step in. Do you see any falloff at that position?

I thought Fuller was outstanding. The plays he made were terrific. He has a pretty good feel for what’s going on. Losing a guy like Peanut is tough. He’s been a great football player and he’s a great kid. He’s been a great Chicago Bear. You hate to lose guys like that and say, ‘next man up.’ But that’s what football is right now. I tell people all the time: if you play football long enough, you’re going to get hurt.
---

4. Are you getting tired of all the non-football news surrounding the NFL, or do you see this as an opportunity for the league to become a leader in addressing these societal issues?

Well, they’re considered a leader but I don’t know that they’re really a leader right now. Look, the NFL did not create these problems. The people in the NFL created these problems. The players. It’s not the commissioner. It’s not the owners. These kids are given the opportunity to make a lot of money and to play football. Now, if they want to jeopardize that with stupid behavior and doing dumb things, then it’s their fault. Why should the NFL take a black eye for what individuals do? You know, this country doesn’t take a black eye because somebody goes out and kills somebody. That individual has to take the responsibility for their actions.
These players today have to understand that they have an obligation to their team, the organization, the league, the fans, themselves and their families to do the right thing. Now, I understand we all don’t do the right thing all the time. Nobody does. But, my God, you have to use common sense in some of these areas. Right now, you’re living in a different society. You’re living in a society where everything is seen; everything is in the media; everything is talked about. Yes, it’s good to put awareness to the causes — to the women’s cause, child abuse ... my God, just seeing the victims created by these problems. The NFL is just a mirror of society. It’s made up of people in society. When those people fail, then the NFL is going to fail. That’s all there is to it. You can’t blame the commissioner. The commissioner had nothing to do with it. I don’t know where people are coming from. And that’s what bothers me. People have to own up and take the responsibility for their actions, and stop trying to point the finger at other people.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...plans-to-appeal-11k-fine-20140917-story.html#

Kaepernick vows to appeal $11K fine for foul language

By Brad Biggs contact the reporter

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick told reporters Wednesday afternoon the NFL fined him more than $11,000 for using inappropriate language that resulted in an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty during Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears at Levi’s Stadium.

But Kaepernick denies saying anything untoward and has vowed to appeal the fine.

Is Kaepernick No. 1 key to 49ers success?
Is Kaepernick No. 1 key to 49ers success?
He drew a flag at the end of the play after rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller intercepted him for the first time at the start of the fourth quarter. After the play, Kaepernick and Bears defensive end Lamarr Houston exchanged words.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Houston told the Tribune in the locker room after the game.

Houston said he did have some words for Kaepernick.

“I said, ‘Nice pass,’ ” Houston said.

That’s it?

“Just nice pass,” Houston replied.

lRelated DVR alert: Relive Bears' upset of 49ers
SMACK BLOG
DVR alert: Relive Bears' upset of 49ers
SEE ALL RELATED
Niners coach Jim Harbaugh said after the game that he never got an explanation from officials on the play. Fuller returned the interception to the 49ers’ 6-yard line and the penalty moved the ball half the distance to the goalline, to the 3. The Bears took the lead 21-20 on the next play, a touchdown pass from Jay Cutler to Martellus Bennett.

Side judge Laird Hayes told CSN Bay Area Kaepernick “knows what he said. It was the right call.”

We’ll see what turns up in the appeal process.

bmbiggs@tribune.com

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...yan-backs-santonio-holmes-20140917-story.html

Jets coach Ryan stands behind Holmes

By Dan Wiederer contact the reporter

If Santonio Holmes’ four seasons as a Jets receiver were sometimes cast as turbulent, he has at least one fan who will offer a warm welcome Monday night in New Jersey when the Bears visit MetLife Stadium.

Jets coach Rex Ryan still counts himself as a Holmes admirer and said on a conference call Wednesday morning that the widespread reports of Holmes as a disruptive locker room force during his time in New York were unfounded.

NFL, union agree to start testing for HGH in new drug policy
NFL, union agree to start testing for HGH in new drug policy
Brad Biggs
“That’s totally untrue,” Ryan said. “That’s a joke. He wasn’t that way at all.”

When the Jets dropped their 2011 season finale to fall out of the playoff picture, fingers pointed at Holmes as a major source of negative energy. Former league MVP LaDainian Tomlinson delivered the sharpest criticism of Holmes, asserting that his moodiness was unbecoming of a captain.

But Ryan insists Holmes was a player he always loved coaching.

“He was outstanding. I really enjoyed him,” Ryan said. “When this guy’s healthy, he can be a game-changer.”

lRelated Jets' Chris Johnson doesn't see 'bad defense' in Bears
CHICAGO BEARS
Jets' Chris Johnson doesn't see 'bad defense' in Bears
SEE ALL RELATED
Holmes had his 2012 season cut short after four games by a serious foot injury. And he wasn't quite the same player a year ago as he came back from that setback. The Jets released him this past spring and he didn't find a new team until mid-August, when the Bears summoned him to help bolster their receiving depth.

Bears' Brandon Marshall still can't escape his past
Dan Wiederer
Through two games with the Bears, Holmes has four catches for 41 yards, adding another dimension to a potent offense. He has also impressed the Bears with his professionalism and arrived in Chicago with endorsements from offensive lineman Matt Slauson and quarterbacks coach Matt Cavanaugh, who both spent time with Holmes with the Jets.

Last week, Bears coach Marc Trestman lauded Holmes’ attentiveness in learning the offense.

“He’s worked very hard at it,” Trestman said. “He’s been very diligent spending time before practice, after practice, in walk-throughs with (receivers coach) Mike Groh in terms of learning what he needs to in his assignments. He’s doing everything he can to get himself ready.”

cComments
ADD A COMMENT
Accolades for Fuller: Rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller was named the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Week on Wednesday after his two fourth-quarter interceptions sparked the Bears to a 28-20 road victory over the 49ers. Fuller also contributed six tackles.

Fuller is only the second Bears rookie defensive back to win the award, an honor safety Mark Carrier hauled in after Week 9 in 1990.

Bears re-sign receiver Williams to practice squad
Rich Campbell
Roster moves: The Bears signed three players to their practice squad Wednesday, adding receiver Chris Williams back to the roster while also signing cornerback Jordan Sullen and tight end Blake Annen.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-see-bad-defense-in-bears-20140917-story.html

Jets' Chris Johnson doesn't see 'bad defense' in Bears

By Brad Biggs

Chris Johnson, one of seven 2,000-yard rushers in NFL history, is confident he will return to the upper echelon of running backs with his new team the Jets.

Johnson, who the Bears will face Monday night at MetLife Stadium, has played against the Bears only twice in his career. He rushed for 141 yards, including an 80-yard touchdown, in a 2012 meeting but the Bears throttled the Titans 51-20 and the back lost two fumbles in the game.

Dan Wiederer
In 2008, the Titans handed the Bears a 21-14 defeat at Soldier Field but the rookie back at the time was limited to just eight yards on 14 carries.

He’s not focusing on the difference between the Bears’ poor defensive showing in Week 1 against the Bills or the solid effort in Sunday’s victory at San Francisco.

lRelated Fuller named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
CHICAGO BEARS
Fuller named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
SEE ALL RELATED
“I don’t look at it like going in against a bad defense,” Johnson said Wednesday afternoon on a conference call. “I always try to look at it like us handling our business on our end. I know from watching the film they have had a couple of mistakes and some big runs on them. I am sure they are going to practice hard and fix those mistakes. Really we’ve just got to go into the game and worry about ourselves and do the little things and hopefully come up with a big game.”

Johnson has 89 yards on 25 carries and Chris Ivory, who he is sharing the backfield with, has run for 145 yards and two touchdowns. The Jets have rushed for 358 yards through two games, tops in the NFL. They ranked sixth in 2013 when the Bears were last stopping the run in the league.

Readers' Q&A: Brad Biggs' Bears mailbag
Readers' Q&A: Brad Biggs' Bears mailbag
Brad Biggs
“It’s a whole new season,” Johnson said. “You can never go off of what was last year. Every year is totally different. I don’t even think about what they were last year.”

The biggest adjustment right now is shifting from an offense in Tennessee where the quarterback operated mostly under center to one in New York where Geno Smith and a lot of the runs come out of the shotgun formation.

cComments
ADD A COMMENT
“It’s been a good (adjustment),” Johnson said. “Anytime you are going from a team where basically all the runs were under center and then coming to a team where the majority of the runs are out of the shotgun and stuff like that, it takes a little time to get used to it. I am sure the more games I play in the system the more comfortable I will get with it and the better I will be.

“Coming over here to a new team, new offense, new scheme, I think it’s a situation where both (running backs) can be successful. If you look at it the couple games we’ve had, I know the first game we probably ran the ball over 30-35 times (34) and running backs don’t last long in this league. I wouldn’t sit here and say that I want the ball 35 times every game. You always need another guy that can get in the game and the talent level doesn’t drop.

Dan Wiederer
“I think this is a great opportunity for me with a very smart coaching staff and a very smart offensive coordinator (Marty Mornhinweg). I just think this can be big for me.”

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...s-williams-practice-squad-20140917-story.html

By Rich Campbell

Chhicago Bears on Wednesday re-signed receiver/returner Chris Williams to their practice squad.

Williams was promoted to the active roster prior to Sunday's 28-20 win over the San Francisco 49ers, in which he played one snap on offense. The Bears waived him Monday.

The team filled its remaining two practice squad vacancies with tight end Blake Annen and cornerback Jordan Sullen.

Rich Campbell
Annen (6-foot-4, 247 pounds) entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2014 out of Cincinnati. In 45 games for the Bearcats, he had 19 receptions for 218 yards and two touchdowns.

Sullen (6-0, 200) joined the Denver Broncos in the spring as an undrafted free agent out of Tulane. In 45 collegiate games, he had 96 tackles, three interceptions, one forced fumble and 20 passes defensed.

The Bears have one vacant spot on their active roster, which they are expected to fill before practice Thursday morning.

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've yet to receive an ounce of respect on this forum, how could they ever lose any?

rodney.jpg

Anyone who runs one of these sites has my respect I wouldn't touch the job with a 10ft barge pole !!

Jester

White Guy
Liked Posts:
You are fast at cut and paste Ole69r. Don't know why all the hate towards DB54, I enjoyed his posts !!!