Bulls make offer for Kevin Martin?

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
ESPN is reporting that a trade proposal involving Minnesota Timberwolves’ shooting guard Kevin Martin and Mike Dunleavy is officially on the table. The reported deal involves a little more than that though.

ESPN Insider Nick Borges reported of a trade proposal that would send veteran shooting guard Kevin Martin to the Bulls in exchange for the expiring contract of Mike Dunleavy, Tony Snell and a second-round draft pick.

Martin was a standout while at Western Carolina University. Due to his success, he was selected by the Sacramento Kings with the 26th overall pick in the 2004 NBA Draft.

Averaging 17.9 points, 1.9 assists and 3.3 rebounds per game, Martin’s career numbers look like they could be a big help to the Chicago Bulls. In an effort to add scoring, a veteran SG with Martin’s ability could be a big addition.

Martin’s coming off a season where he scored 19.1 points per game on 55.3% TS% which is really awfully good, and it was actually a down year for him. He can shoot threes, draw lots of fouls and is an uber-efficient offensive player. The prior year his TS% was over 60% for the Thunder, a number which is just a shade higher than his career average.

Martin’s been one of the most underrated offensive players in the NBA for much of his career. While it could be argued that he’s somewhat of an empty scorer (not particularly good teams), I reject that argument due to the efficiency he performs at. Empty scorers are guys who need to hoist tons of shots to get points on pedestrian efficiency. That’s not what Kevin Martin does. – Chicago Now

The Chicago Bulls franchise still needs to add some depth and capable scorer at the shooting guard position. According to veteran Bulls writer Sam Smith, the team tried to reach out for veteran shooter Ray Allen, who remains iffy to tell his decision.

something must of got lost in translation...i believe they were offering for the other Kevin (Love) lol j/k

i say do the trade and round out our starting lineup with a legit SG

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd do this trade. Martin's not the most durable of players, but his scoring ability is desperately needed on the perimeter.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dunleavy is an effecient offensive player, taller, and far healthier and scraper.

Fuck man....Martin is soft as shit. How is Thibs supposed to play defense.

I guess they are serious about upgrading shooting guard, but I wish if we were going to shed this many resources maybe pay a little more and figure out how to fit Gay into this team instead.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rose-Butler-Gay-Noah-Gasol in my opinion is superior to Rose-Martin-Butler-Gibson-Noah

but I guess in a way its apples to apples. The versatility of Butler makes adding either one about the same effect, except with Gay the salary is much higher and costs us moving Gibson as well.

Gay is better for now, Martin keeps the possiblity of holding Gibson long term, but is that really in our best interest? Maybe.....I'm on board with Martin. The expendability of Snell/Dunleavy could largely be a good sign of the teams excitement about MCBuckets.

But I guess its not surprising Snell is becoming a chip to just toss away.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
how are we getting Rudy Gay?

buhahahahahahaha. I forgot that part. Rudy Gay is always available a month or so before the trade deadline. It is his way.

The Kings wanted to keep him, but watch....it means patience, and keep Dunleavy.

I want to get a month or two into the season before deciding what to do with Dunleavy, thats a nice mid season chip, lets see where we are and who is healthy as we approach the deadline.

I am one of those that prefer when Butler is Rose's SG and think they compiment each other and that is when we get out and run. Martin would take many minutes away from that set-up, a set-up in which Dunleavy, McBuckets, and Mirotic are asked to provide flank scoring and perimeter shooting from SF and PF.

Then again, Martin could have a positive effect on Rose offensively.

I just don't think it will work out, Martin will get injured or fail defensively, so hold on to these bargaining chips until we understand the move we really need to make most. Is it PF if we lose a big? Or is it SB? I gotta watch Butler's offensive progression, see Moore play, and even Dunleavy at the 2.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Dunleavy is not a player i feel we have to keep hes a solid vet but not a guy i wouldn't trade to upgrade a position

besides Gay is making like 20m...we'd have to trade Taj/Dunleavy/Snell/Nikola to match his salary

not happening

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I'm worried Kevin Martin is going to be Rip Hamilton 2.0 in a Bulls uniform.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm worried Kevin Martin is going to be Rip Hamilton 2.0 in a Bulls uniform.
Well I think he'd be a little bit better than that, but his injury history certainly not encouraging.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
Rose-Butler-Gay-Noah-Gasol in my opinion is superior to Rose-Martin-Butler-Gibson-Noah

but I guess in a way its apples to apples. The versatility of Butler makes adding either one about the same effect, except with Gay the salary is much higher and costs us moving Gibson as well.

Gay is better for now, Martin keeps the possiblity of holding Gibson long term, but is that really in our best interest? Maybe.....I'm on board with Martin. The expendability of Snell/Dunleavy could largely be a good sign of the teams excitement about MCBuckets.

But I guess its not surprising Snell is becoming a chip to just toss away.

You mean the same Rudy 'The black hole' Gay we saw in the Fiba tourney sporting a $20 mil salary? No thanks.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
I'd do this trade. Martin's not the most durable of players, but his scoring ability is desperately needed on the perimeter.

My first gut feeling is I don't like the trade cuz I like Dunn and Snell is a young developing player I like as well. However, the Bulls do have a bit of a logjam at SF and probably want McD to get minutes so it does make sense. Butler's ability to play SF could make this happen, especially with the addition of Moore.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Butler + Dun Dun for Wiggins and a filler.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My first gut feeling is I don't like the trade cuz I like Dunn and Snell is a young developing player I like as well. However, the Bulls do have a bit of a logjam at SF and probably want McD to get minutes so it does make sense. Butler's ability to play SF could make this happen, especially with the addition of Moore.
I like Dunleavy too, but Martin's just flat out better than both combined offensively. If we're gonna get by Cleveland (right now on paper), we need all the talent we can get. Martin can create his own shot which gives us 3 (him, Rose, Gasol down low) shot creators who can get baskets when needed, and he's a ridiculously efficient scorer as well. Obviously a good 3pt shooter as well so we're not losing anything there. His injury history is what makes it seem like a suspect trade more than anything else, but can't deny the talent.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
I like Dunleavy too, but Martin's just flat out better than both combined offensively. If we're gonna get by Cleveland (right now on paper), we need all the talent we can get. Martin can create his own shot which gives us 3 (him, Rose, Gasol down low) shot creators who can get baskets when needed, and he's a ridiculously efficient scorer as well. Obviously a good 3pt shooter as well so we're not losing anything there. His injury history is what makes it seem like a suspect trade more than anything else, but can't deny the talent.

Oh I agree. It does fill a big need at SG as well. I really didn't think GarPax would trade Dunn as he does give us a nice veteran presence at SF, but it would allow more minutes for McD and Mirotic at SF so it does makes sense. Martin would solidify our G's quite a bit.

Between Rose and Brooks at PG, and Martin and Butler at SG, the Bulls will have a pretty good scoring backcourt. Throw in Kirk and Moore and the backcourt starts to look pretty good imo. Again Butler's ability to play SF really helps the loss of Dunn until McD and Mirotic get up to speed.

You've got to give GarPax some credit as they are really trying to address the scoring need the Bulls have had.

YFC

Liked Posts:
Unless Gay is waived, the bulls are not gonna be close to acquire him. Now with Mirotic and McDermott, I don't see why the bulls have to push for a trade. It just makes more sense to wait patiently and spend the money on a real game changer.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Kevin Martin is a terrible defender, but what he brings offensively would make the Bulls one of the best offensive teams in the NBA.

-Extremely one-dimensional player.
-can shoot and slash.
-gets to the free throw line often and high percentage.

You've gotta make this trade if the option is there. Trading Dunleavy and Snell means more minutes for McDermott, too.