Justin Masterson?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other problem with Turner is he is on a major league contract which is why he couldn't go down to the minors to get some work in like Felix did. He would have had to go through wavers.

Still 92 MPH FB I just do not see why this guy was even rated that high. His stuff is not impressive.

He is a ground ball pitcher. The Cubs will work with him in the off season. Bringing him in is not a bad play. The only person set to me in the rotation is Arrieta and Hendricks and I wouldnt count on Hendricks being real good. We have seen pitchers do this before then get shelled the next year. There is no problem having a bunch of 5th options and we are going to need a long reliever since Villanueva is probably not going to be on our team.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Next tier down would be Madea Scouts look at him as a MOR type. Low BB and AVG SO's. So a good comp would be Doug Fister. career BB9 1.4 SO9 6.1 Pretty decent comp.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about having that joker in the rotation... heard he's spent some time in prison.

mgtj_approved_002.jpg

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Turner is pretty much the same pitcher he was with the Marlins. He needs an offseason to make an adjustment. Worst case, he can fill in a long relief role and spot start like Villanueva. He would have to earn a rotation spot.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Turner is pretty much the same pitcher he was with the Marlins. He needs an offseason to make an adjustment. Worst case, he can fill in a long relief role and spot start like Villanueva. He would have to earn a rotation spot.

Yes, he has plenty of talent. We are spoiled now a days with 5 plus fastballs. He needs to learn to pitch his game. We almost traded for this guy as a center piece two years ago. No reason not to let him try to figure it out in the off season and spring training. He deserves nothing but can earn it with almost no risk to the Cubs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure how I'd feel about having that joker in the rotation... heard he's spent some time in prison.

mgtj_approved_002.jpg

pretty funny:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenta_Maeda

Kenta Maeda
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kenta Maeda
HC-Kenta-Maeda.jpg
Hiroshima Toyo Carp – No. 18
Pitcher
Born: April 11, 1988 (age 26)
Osaka, Japan
Bats: Right Throws: Right
Professional debut
April 5, 2008 for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp
NPB statistics
(through 2013)
Win-Loss 71-50
Earned run average 2.41
Strikeouts 897
Teams
Hiroshima Toyo Carp (2008-present)
Career highlights and awards
3× NPB All-Star (2010, 2012-2013)
1× Best Nine Award (2010)
3× Golden Glove Award (2010, 2012, 2013)
2010 Eiji Sawamura Award
1× NPB All-Star Game MVP (2012 Game 2)
2013 World Baseball Classic All-Tournament Team
Kenta Maeda (前田 健太 Maeda Kenta?, born April 11, 1988 in Osaka, Japan) is a Nippon Professional Baseball pitcher for the Hiroshima Toyo Carp in Japan's Central League. He won the 2010 Sawamura Award with a record of 15-8 and a 2.21 ERA, with 174 strikeouts in 215 and 2/3 innings, and six complete games with two shutouts. He also became the youngest pitcher in Japanese baseball history to achieve the pitching Triple Crown[1] and won a Gold Glove in the same year. He is nicknamed "Maeken" by fans and teammates (from MAEda KENta).

Maeda is a 6 ft 0 in, 161 lb right-handed pitcher. With a three-quarters delivery Maeda throws two fastballs (four-seam, two-seam) that sit in 88-92 mph (tops out at 95 mph), an average change-up, an occasional curveball, and a solid-average slider in low-80s, which is his best pitch. He also has excellent command, posting a walks per nine innings rate of 1.9 in his career (through 2013 season).

2013 World Baseball Classic[edit]
Maeda competed for the Japanese national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic, and said he will use the tournament to assess his desire to compete in Major League Baseball, based on how he fares against their hitters.[2] Maeda started 2 games in the pool rounds, against China and Netherlands, amassing a 2-0 record with 0.00 ERA, 0.30 WHIP, allowing just 2 hits, 1 walk, and striking out 15 in 10 innings. He was selected into the tournament's Best-9 lineup.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK I would rather have them go with Lester and a sure thing like Liriano. Then let the 4/5 work itself out in house vs rolling the dice after Arreta.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, he has plenty of talent. We are spoiled now a days with 5 plus fastballs. He needs to learn to pitch his game. We almost traded for this guy as a center piece two years ago. No reason not to let him try to figure it out in the off season and spring training. He deserves nothing but can earn it with almost no risk to the Cubs.

He became available because his secondary pitches never developed as what was expected. That is why Det traded him to Fla. That is why Fla sold him for 2 unknown A ballers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Turner
Pitching style[edit]
Turner throws four main pitches: a four-seam fastball (90–93 mph), a sinking two-seam fastball (89–93), a curveball (78–80) and a slider (84-86). He also throws a rare changeup (85–87), which is used almost exclusively against left-handed hitters. He often relies on the curveball with two strikes in the count.[20]

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Even if Turner's stuff isn't amazing, you're talking about $1 mil. Wright made $1.43 mil. Russell was making something similar to that. Villanueva is making $5 mil. As long as you think he's got a shot at worst case of making your bullpen I don't see any reason you wouldn't pick up his option. And that's just looking at the worst case. If you think he can make your rotation $1 mil is so cheap for even a #5 starter.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
No reason for the Cubs to not bring Turner back IMO