CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What a silly rant. It doesn't matter that he isn't Ruth, Gehrig or DiMaggio. He's been a great ambassador for the Yankees and baseball in general since getting to the Show.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Olbermann's way too whiney but he's got a point. Jeter's arguably the most overrated player in baseball history. He's a good player and one of the best SS in history but it is way over the top the way he's gotten gifts at every stadium he's played. Barry Larkin retired not all that long ago and for my money is a better SS. I don't really remember any of that for him.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Olbermann's way too whiney but he's got a point. Jeter's arguably the most overrated player in baseball history. He's a good player and one of the best SS in history but it is way over the top the way he's gotten gifts at every stadium he's played. Barry Larkin retired not all that long ago and for my money is a better SS. I don't really remember any of that for him.

I don't recall ever thinking of Larkin being an ambassador to the game let alone on the level of Jeter.

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
Jeter is one of the best hitting shortstops ever, but he's also the worst fielding shortstop ever.

So, yes, he is overrated in the regards that people call him "the greatest shortstop ever".

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
:whoosh:

I don't recall ever thinking of Larkin being an ambassador to the game.
Certainly not to the extent of Jeter. One playing in Cincy. One playing in the media capital of the world?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Just curious as to which mainstream outlet(s) called Jeter the best shortstop ever?

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
I never said it was a media outlet. Talk to most baseball fans and its their m.o.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Most baseball fans? So it's factual and quantifiable as long as they are the most fans in your experience. Good to know.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
:whoosh:

Certainly not to the extent of Jeter. One playing in Cincy. One playing in the media capital of the world?

I never even heard Cincy folks think of Barry that way. And I am a huge fan of Larkin too

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I have never run across anyone call Jeter the best SS ever. In fact even Yankee fans said the best SS on the team plays 3b (A-Rod)
Jeter not even the best Yankee SS ever, that would be
Bucky Dent [emoji51]

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
It's been fun to watch Jeter. It was special to see him at the All-Star Game and holding the door open for him as he left said ASG. (True story I worked at Target Field this summer). Can't remember a baseball season without this guy. Feels to me a lot like Favre retiring. Grew up watching these guys and take it so much for granted. He really is a legend. Last player of his caliber left to go from my childhood would be Kobe. Makes me feel old. But definitely one of those guys we will be talking to our kids about.

There is no question that being a Yankee inflated his legacy tenfold. But he is still a Hall of Fame talent and there was never any controversy around the guy ever. Being a member of the Yankee's "Core Four" really made him famous.Saw Mo's last game at Fenway last year and it was special. Would be awesome to be there Sunday for Jeter's.

ChiSoxCity

Liked Posts:
Jeter gets too much exposure. No one outside NY gives two ***** about him, he should have retired years ago.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I like Derek Jeter.

I have a lot of respect for Derek Jeter.

I have no issue with the goodbye tour, though I wonder why it started last year for Mario Rivera, and where it ends.

But I absolutely agree that the coverage, or hype, or exposure, or whatever you want to call it for Derek Jeter has been WAAAAYYYYYY over the top.

ESPN tells us seemingly every day some fact about Jeter that is less than significant. "First to hit a double at exactly 8:11 PM for his 3251st hit" or whatever. Gatorade makes special commercials that they don't make for equal players from other cities, etc.

I don't need to see Jeter or anyone else treated as a god. He's very good. He isn't as great as he's made out to be. And, frankly, he is a big reason they have had problems this year. He's been bad, but they felt they couldn't sit him or move him down in the order.

He will possibly become the first unanimous HOF'er - the writers who withheld votes from Maddux so he wouldn't break Seaver's "record", will vote twice for Jeter.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Derek Jeter is one of the most marketable players of All-Time and the Yankees are the most marketable team in American sports. So yeah the exposure is going to be over the top