The 6 essential burgers in Chicago

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
at least according to Kevin Pang of the Chicago Tribune

Full descriptions are in the article here

Bacon burger at Illinois Bar & Grill This one-pounder, priced under $8, is simply one of the finest burger deals in town. The 14-ounce patty is thick, luscious, peppery and crispy, griddle-fried, with twines of sauteed onions piled high atop.......

Umami burger at BopNGrill The California chain Umami Burger opens in Chicago Thursday. Before its arrival, the best example of the umami burger was (and is) at Rogers Park’s BopNgrill......

Cheeseburger at Au Cheval Is this Chicago’s perfect burger? Many will argue in its favor. Au Cheval eschews frills and gives us just meat, cheese, dijon mayonnaise, pickles on a toasted bun.....

Double cheeseburger at Redhot Ranch In the $5-and-less category, you won't sample a finer cheeseburger in Chicago. It combines the best traits of In-N-Out (toasted pillow buns, crunchy lettuce, Thousand Island) plus Steak 'N Shake......

Classic cheeseburger at Joe's Seafood Prime Steak & Stone Crab If burgers were rock bands, the version at Joe's Stone Crab would be The White Stripes: unadorned and pared down to the elements, no fancy effects, packing an unexpected wallop...

Double bacon cheeseburger from Schoop’s From the home page of Schoop's Hamburgers: "Schoop's hamburgers have been a part of the Calumet Region of Indiana and Illinois since 1948......

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Schoop's, wow. Haven't thought about that place in years.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Still a big fan of the Moody Bleu at Moody's pub up north http://moodyspub.com/ Best beer garden in Chicago. These burger lists change every year but Moody's has always been a benchmark.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If I went to Joe's with a group of people, and one of them tried to order a burger, I would probably tell them to:

:gtfo:

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Haven't thought about Shoop's in forever. I know people that rave about Au Cheval's burger. Pretty big fan of DMK and M Burger. Portillo's is under-rated though it is a chain. Shake Shack is coming to Chicago soon and they do a good job.

Burgers, I think, are pretty personal as far as style and toppings go. Agree with above, just don't see Joe's as a top burger though I don't think I've had it so....

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Randall Roadhouse in Carpentersville has a Quessadilla burger with cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato that is out of ths world. Here are thier nachos

thumb_600.jpg

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Portillos has the best fast food burger. Am I disqualified?
Total nonsense. When my daughter was 5 she tried to convince me little Ceasars was the best pizza, but then again she was 5. You should know better

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Total nonsense. When my daughter was 5 she tried to convince me little Ceasars was the best pizza, but then again she was 5. You should know better

I didn't say "best burger." I said "best fast food burger." Massive difference between the two. Comparing a Portillos burger to a steak burger at a place like Gibson's is crazy. But I'm saying that there isn't a better fast food burger option than Portillos.

I've heard good things about the In' and Out' Burgers in California but haven't tried them yet.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
These's this truck stop in Morris that has an 8lb burger. Standard toppings, but damn good burger.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
8 lbs? God damn, no wonder people in Illinois are so fucking fat.

So the thought didn't cross your mind that someone can order this burger and take most if it home in a doggy bag? Or that a group of friends go out, and split the thing? :thinking:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So the thought didn't cross your mind that someone can order this burger and take most if it home in a doggy bag? Or that a group of friends go out, and split the thing? :thinking:
Honestly it didn't for me because burgers of that size are usually food challenges that they don't let you share or take home. That's pretty awesome though.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Honestly it didn't for me because burgers of that size are usually food challenges that they don't let you share or take home. That's pretty awesome though.

Nah, they don't care what you do with it, as long as you pay. But they do have a challenge.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Splitting a burger? Can't say that thought crossed my mind. Some foods were meant to be shared: Pizza, Wings, Massive Ice Cream Sundaes. But burgers? Hell to the no.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If you mention Portillos in the same sentence as best burger you are disqualified

If you like really dry burgers that are grey on the inside then you might think they are the best...

Smashburger, Five Guys and hell even steak and shake make a better burger than Portillos.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights

You have the phrase "know better" addressed to JJ. That in itself is a mistake.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Regardless of the permutations, pretty sure anyone that orders an 8 lb. burger (or anything) is indeed a fat-ass.