Baseball question

cbfan

Liked Posts:
Ok, you have runners at 3rd and 1st base with no outs. The batter grounds into a 6-4-3 double play and the runner from 3rd scores. I know the batter doesn't get a RBI. But, does the pitcher receive an ER for that run that scored?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Ok, you have runners at 3rd and 1st base with no outs. The batter grounds into a 6-4-3 double play and the runner from 3rd scores. I know the batter doesn't get a RBI. But, does the pitcher receive an ER for that run that scored?

Depends on how the players reached base to begin with. If they reached base due to errors they would be unearned I believe. If they reached on a hit/walk then they are earned. The fielders choice aspect of the play doesn't change whether or not the run was earned.

cbfan

Liked Posts:
Depends on how the players reached base to begin with. If they reached base due to errors they would be unearned I believe. If they reached on a hit/walk then they are earned. The fielders choice aspect of the play doesn't change whether or not the run was earned.
it's a double play and the run scores. No errors involved. I am just trying to figure out if the pitcher can get a ER, while the batter gets no RBI. Kind of see what I am saying?

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
it's a double play and the run scores. No errors involved. I am just trying to figure out if the pitcher can get a ER, while the batter gets no RBI. Kind of see what I am saying?

You're not following me. Let's call the guy on third base player 1. If player 1 reached on an error than i'm like 95% certain if he scores no matter what else happened following him reaching on an error that he is an unearned run.I say 95% because baseball scoring has weird edge cases all the time. I'm more like 100% certain. As far as I'm aware any player who reaches base via an error and later scores is always considered an unearned run.

On the contrary, if player 1 reached on a walk or a hit and scores then he is earned. The batter in the scenario you outlined hitting into a fielders choice has no impact on the scoring of the play.

Edit: to clarify when I say "reached" I mean reached base as in how he got on base to begin with if that's not clear. I don't mean how he reached home.

Edit 2: Another scenario where player one reached on a hit but advanced two second(or third) on an error would still be scored an earned run as far as I'm aware because the hit is charged to the pitcher when he initially got on. However, this is the type of edge case I'm talking about in that 95% because i'm less certain of this case.

cbfan

Liked Posts:
I understand what you're saying. I find it unfair that the pitch is charged with an ER, when the batter loses his RBI cause he hit into a double play.

Btw, I do understand the whole error equals a unearned run against the pitcher. I just never have paid attention to the double play, when a run scores. Alot of quirky crap that baseball does.....I won't even get into that stupid 'in the area' of second base on a double play. every other base, you have to touch. Ok, I feel better now. LOL.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand what you're saying. I find it unfair that the pitch is charged with an ER, when the batter loses his RBI cause he hit into a double play.

Btw, I do understand the whole error equals a unearned run against the pitcher. I just never have paid attention to the double play, when a run scores. Alot of quirky crap that baseball does.....I won't even get into that stupid 'in the area' of second base on a double play. every other base, you have to touch. Ok, I feel better now. LOL.

Yeah scoring is just funky in general. I mean if you compare the scenario you're talking about with a sacrifice IIRC the batter does get the RBI. I guess the reasoning is in the case of a double play the fielder is choosing not to go home(fielders choice...) where as the sacrifice the player is doing something of note.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thats strictly for safety. SS or 2nd baseman would get destroyed if they had to stand on the base like first and third. Turning 2 would become a dangerous play because they would barrel right into you.

cbfan

Liked Posts:
Thats strictly for safety. SS or 2nd baseman would get destroyed if they had to stand on the base like first and third. Turning 2 would become a dangerous play because they would barrel right into you.
I often compare it to the NBA...10 steps and dunk. No skill, no challenge.

I would like to say, they are improving the 'in the area' rule with instant replay. I have seen a few ump's make sure they touch the base. And MLB can make 2nd base safe again. Like they did with home plate. Like making the runner slide straight into the bag, giving the infield choices on either side of the bag. This isn't football, Pete Rose running over Ray Fosse or the Marlins OF running over Buster Posey isn't what I call baseball.