How would you grade the Cubs 2014 season?

How would you grade the Cubs 2014 season

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • C

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • D

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • F

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Epstein said castro is part of 2015, he will not be traded this off season. Please no more castro trade scenarios.

In fact I really dont see any regular position player being traded this off season

Not saying it will happen, but that is generally the time when most trades happen. When GM's publically say players will not be traded.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That Castro trade is a pipe dream

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Not saying it will happen, but that is generally the time when most trades happen. When GM's publically say players will not be traded.
If he trades him this off season without having a secured backup in place because as of now baez and Russell ate still unknown and unproven major league caliber players it wouldn't be gutsy it would be beyond stupid.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That Castro trade is a pipe dream

That is basically saying Castro + toss in = Cole.

Reality is Russell + Almora + Edwards = Cole.

You have to look at it from the Phills side. They need to reload and Cole is their big chip.

Sunbiz1

Liked Posts:
Voted a B when I really meant C.

I like what Theo had to say the other day regarding how to model the Cubs after teams such as St. Louis. You have to do it that way b/c guaranteed contracts are still very restrictive in terms of building via FA, why the Yankees haven't figured this out remains a mystery.

The C is for the Shark trade. While I understand clearing the books so to speak/loading up on offense, he still has to be replaced.

Proven pitchers are just too hard to come by, particularly when they succeed at Wrigley...where many day games and fickle weather force them to adjust.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I don't see why the Cubs would trade for Hamels when it will cost them at least one piece of the core, when Lester is available on the FA market. Hamels contract is almost exactly what he would get if he hit FA now, so there really is no surplus value to his contract like their is with Castro. So the Cubs would likely have to part with 2 top 10 prospect + a top 20, or Castro and a top prospect for a guy making market value. Doesn't sound enticing to me.

Even if the Cubs were to miss out on Lester, the Cubs would be better off looking at the Mets for starting pitching

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
If he trades him this off season without having a secured backup in place because as of now baez and Russell ate still unknown and unproven major league caliber players it wouldn't be gutsy it would be beyond stupid.

What does secured back-up even mean, and why would it be beyond stupid if you can secure lets say a young pitcher, and more than likely, somewhere in the TOR area? Have the Cubs dealt anybody until now with a secured back-up? Jeez!

If I recall, the Cubs have too few pitchers, and too many SS's.

Trust me, if they could land a pitcher for him or whatever, Baez could man SS for a year, or they could simply pick up an Asdrubal Cabrera as interim SS and not lose a beat and keep everyone else at their desired spots, plus get deeper in pitching.

You have to decide which is more important moving forward, pitching, or SS. Right now, the need for pitching far exceeds the SS position, and my bets are that Russell is the future anyways.

Don't get so enamored with Cubs players that they are seemingly untouchable. This FO has already stated and made it very clear that they will do what's best for the team and for the long run, and Theo has made moves historically like this in that some players who were considered untradeable, were traded.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
What does secured back-up even mean,

bad choice of words at 630 AM..lol their not going to trade a 24 YO .290 + hitter and decent fielding SS and coming into his own, that under a team friendly contract for the next 6 years without making sure they have someone ready to take his place.. AS of now Baez and Russell are not ready...

that why I say they wont think about dealing him this off season , but next off season when they know more about Baez and possibly Russell, then there a better chance of moving him.

why would it be beyond stupid if you can secure lets say a young pitcher, and more than likely, somewhere in the TOR area?

I doubt any team is going to trade a young TOR type starter for Castro...

its beyond stupid to trade away a young sure thing in Castro this off season when you don't have anyone ready to replace him..
last thing they need to happen is start Baez at SS and he struggles again and now their grasping for a SS to finish the year..

Have the Cubs dealt anybody until now with a secured back-up? Jeez!

none of the guys they dealt were considered part of the future going forward and they weren't signed long term, most if not all would've been FA at the end of year they were traded.

If I recall, the Cubs have too few pitchers, and too many SS's.

not really.... cubs could easily fill in 2-5 in rotation with who they have or they can just as easily sign 1 or 2 FA to add to rotation without losing anyone..

they have 3 SS, but only 1 proven.. they have one who struggled and is unknown how he will bounce back and the other is still a year away but an unknown on Major League level.

Trust me, if they could land a pitcher for him or whatever, Baez could man SS for a year, or they could simply pick up an Asdrubal Cabrera as interim SS and not lose a beat and keep everyone else at their desired spots, plus get deeper in pitching.

Trust me, their not going to take that chance on Baez right now or go out and sign 1 year projects for SS
their not in desperate need to trade Castro for a pitcher, they can get that pitcher VIA FA...

Don't get so enamored with Cubs players that they are seemingly untouchable. This FO has already stated and made it very clear that they will do what's best for the team and for the long run, and Theo has made moves historically like this in that some players who were considered untradeable, were traded

nobody getting enamored with a player and nobody saying Castro untradeable.. Smart baseball thinking is your not going to trade away a young stud SS for a pitcher NOW when you really don't have anyone ready to replace him and there other options in bringing in a starting pitcher or two over the off season..

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
B-

Prospects' movements went well for the most part, got key additions to the farm, though I wasn't big on losing Samarzdija. I think he's a decent #2 in a rotation, and if you are gonna trade someone like that, Id be sure you got a guy to replace him.

Rizzo and Castro rebounding (till Castro's injury) was excellent, just what we needed to see.

Arrieta gets an A.

Travis Wood took a step back. Didn't like.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
With the season in the books, how would you grade the Cubs performance during 2014? What were some of your favorite moments? Who was the team's MVP? What is one thing they need to address going into the offseason?
I gave them a C..
First half was tough, second half was better

Favorite moment was when they started piecing the team together with the young guys and anytime they beat the whitesox Cardinals and brewers.

I have 2 MVP in Arrieta and Rizzo

They need to get 1 TOR type starter to go with Arrieta this off season. ..