How would you grade the Cubs 2014 season?

How would you grade the Cubs 2014 season

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • C

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • D

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • F

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
With the season in the books, how would you grade the Cubs performance during 2014? What were some of your favorite moments? Who was the team's MVP? What is one thing they need to address going into the offseason?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
For the situation they were in and what they were trying to do....B.

They got some of the young guys some much needed game experience, found some answers on the pitching staff - Arrieta, Ramirez, Rendon, Hendricks, and still have a high pick.

I will never, ever consider a 73-89 season anything close to a B in the future. Not even next year, which is not a year we expected to contend. But this year? Yes, it was an improvement in record, we picked up valuable assets for going forward and still draft high.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give them a D. I'm personally only grading it on what happened this year and what happened this year is not being close to the playoffs again.

Although seeing signs of "the plan" is good

MVP is Rizzo

My favorite moment was that late August game against the Cardinals where Soler had 2 homers and Baez also has a good game, and Hendricks pitched well. It was my only :fap: of the season

The thing they need to address is Jon Lester

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I give a B...expected worse and it was a lot better

MVP - Arrieta

Sad Baez showed zero ability to adjust

Fav moments are the starts of Arrieta going deep in games with no hitters

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I gave them a C due to the record. I didn't like how they held Bryant back vs giving him some MLB exp. Reality is they are scared of what they will have to pay him.

Arrieta came into his own this year. Now some predicted he was a break out candidate. Doubt they expected this though.

So IMO the record and how the Ricketts were playing the cheap card dragged it down. Castro/Rizzo/Arrieta/Hendricks/Rondon brought up a D to a C.

I wouldn't give them a B though. To me a B is play off quality.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
I give them a B+. Not because of overall record, but because of the hurdles and obstacles they overcame.

Reason being is if you look back at the starting line-up at the beginning of the year, you had Bonafacio, Lake, Barney, Castro, Rizzo, Schierholtz, Olt, Castillo, and Shark. 2/3rds of that starting line-up has been changed, and they still improved greatly from that team.

Granted, their were struggles with the rookies (some expected), but the bullpen in the latter part of the year was very solid, and Hendricks and Wada filled voids where Wood and E-Jax struggled.

The Cubs traded away most of the opening day starting line-up as mentioned above, and also noted is that they lost their #2 starter at the time (Hammel), and by far their best left handed reliever (Russell) too.

To overcome all of that, to also play without Rizzo and Castro for a good while the last month or so, and to hold their own and also beat teams like the Orioles, Cardinals, and Brewers. who were all in the playoff race at the time is a major accomplishment.

To me, it shows this team is headed in the right direction, and with a few roster moves, this could make 2015 very interesting to say the least.

Here's to hoping this happens. :beer:

nickofypres

Super Nintendo Chalmers
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Toledo Rockets
C.

The process took a huge step forward this year. Looking forward to see how the Cubs progress next year.

I wonder what Fisch will do if they're actually decent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I give them a B+. Not because of overall record, but because of the hurdles and obstacles they overcame.

Reason being is if you look back at the starting line-up at the beginning of the year, you had Bonafacio, Lake, Barney, Castro, Rizzo, Schierholtz, Olt, Castillo, and Shark. 2/3rds of that starting line-up has been changed, and they still improved greatly from that team.

Granted, their were struggles with the rookies (some expected), but the bullpen in the latter part of the year was very solid, and Hendricks and Wada filled voids where Wood and E-Jax struggled.

The Cubs traded away most of the opening day starting line-up as mentioned above, and also noted is that they lost their #2 starter at the time (Hammel), and by far their best left handed reliever (Russell) too.

To overcome all of that, to also play without Rizzo and Castro for a good while the last month or so, and to hold their own and also beat teams like the Orioles, Cardinals, and Brewers. who were all in the playoff race at the time is a major accomplishment.

To me, it shows this team is headed in the right direction, and with a few roster moves, this could make 2015 very interesting to say the least.

Still this season's improvement was based off of Arrieta, Hendricks and Soler. Those 3 were not expected. You could add Coghlan to that. He had a comeback player of the year type of year.

I would be surprised if Cog and Hendricks sustain. Soler should get better. Arrieta IMO is what he is now.

Ya this off season they are adding the billboard and the see through sign. Time to use those added rev's to go get Lester.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Err jumbotron....:eek:hmy:

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I gave them a B grade because it's on a curve. I guessed 70-73 wins and they met my expectation. The team got rid of players who didn't perform up to expectations and replaced them with players who did. Immediately after the trade, things looked bad, but the team righted the ship and finished nicely with solid pitching, not only from several starters, but also the pen. The manager had some growing pains, too, but give credit where credit is due. He obviously created an atmosphere for players to thrive. Good for him.

Last edited:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Individual Grades-

Castillo C
Above average with the D, below with the O
Rizzo B+
Great year, just a bit unhealthy keeping this from being an A
Castro B
Improved his glove, did well batting in slots he's not supposed to be in. Injury keeps the grade down.
Valbuena B-
Decent glove and bat, room for improvement still
Coghlan B+
Came out of nowhere and performed very well as a leadoff man
Alcantra C-
Versatile with surprising power. Way too inconsistent and in need of a better approach at the plate.
Bonifaio C+
Cheap offseason signing. Very hot early, then cooled back to player he is.
Ruggiano C-
Hurt. Decent player when healthy. Age working against him.
Baez D-
Great power. No signs of mlb adjustment. Wouldn’t be shocked with a 2015 F, 2015 B, or a trade. Very young.
Soler B
Great D, nice bat in first cup with team.
Wood D
Bad year, but still young.
Arrieta A+
I have a huge bias to pitching. One of two A+ players. He’s the 2015 TOR the Cubs have looked for.
Jackson F
How do you get worse than an F? He’ll find a way I bet.
Hammel B+
Nice signing and moved prior to his collapse.
Samardzija A+
Not only a great year for the Cubs. Not only a solid year for the A’s. But brought a nice haul in trade too.
Hendricks A
Real soft tosser that pitched well for 13 starts. Not high on him future wise.
Rondon B
Got their closer and a young one at that.
Ramirez A-
Very nice reliever in the setup role.

Bosio A
Top five pitching coach in the bigs

Renteria C-
Grade improved as team was gelling after trade.

Others are not worth mentioning

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I give a B...expected worse and it was a lot better

MVP - Arrieta

Sad Baez showed zero ability to adjust

Fav moments are the starts of Arrieta going deep in games with no hitters

Agree on Arrieta.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where's Fisch? I don't wanna be the only one giving a below average rating to a last place team.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I gave them a B as well.

All things considered they surpassed expectations and prospects for the most part looked ready to play now.

Only demerit is holding Bryant down.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

B+ for getting over hurdles? really? :rolleyes:

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I gave them a solid C. I am including Theo and them in this. I did not like the Veras signing and thought we walked into the major league season completely punting before it began. It turned out that the players didnt roll over.

Renteria got better as the season goes on but I expect a big improvement as an in game coach next year. The guy you can see is a complete motivator and never let this team quit. I read the other day that he is excited to get to work this off season. Last off season he lost a lot of time to hip surgery, the interview process, then feeling his way around with the org and the players. This year he says he has all his focus on how to better everything because he knows a lot more now. I like that.

Rizzo and Castro has great bounce back years for a couple of 24 year olds. Im excited for both their futures. Castro was a total monster over the last month of the season. He comes into next season with that focus then he will be over a .300 hitter again. Baez and Alcantara got their wake up call and they must work hard in the off season. I can see both of them with significant improvements. Its not easy learning new positions while trying to learn major league pitching at such a young age. Soler needs to train properly and keep his legs in great shape. Guy is a thoroughbred with his build. Stamina is everything now.

People covered almost everything else. Im excited for next year, but this team must want it. Lets add Lester and Liriano!

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If you throw in the offseason, I'd give the Cubs a B. The Cubs were able to inject some of their youth into the lineup and it paid dividends. They turned crybaby Samardzija and a rental into three of the A's top prospects and also find solid value in a position of need (young switch-hit catcher with plus hit tool) for the Bonifacio rental and James Russell's worn out noodle. If anything, Theo's proven that he is able to capitalize on value and really excels when it comes to buy-low guys (Jake Arietta and Pedro Strop say hello). I'm hoping that with some of the other more minor acquisitions, the Cubs will have some options in terms of their starting rotation going into next year outside of Arietta and Hendricks as internal candidates. Of course, we're all hoping the Cubs go all-in on someone like Scherzer or Lester or entertain a trade candidate like Cole Hamels but I'm somewhat excited at the prospect of getting longer looks at Doubront, Turner, et al. Rondon, Ramirez, Grimm and Strop are a decent collection of guys to toss out at the end of games, so my hopes are the Cubs shore up getting two TOR guys to bridge the gap to them.

The embarrassment of riches that are solid, projectable bats is sometimes mind boggling. Even with Baez, Alcantara and Soler all getting chances, we're still waiting on Bryant, Russell, Almora, Schwarber, McKinney, etc. Theo deserves a lot of credit for that. I agree with everyone else that holding Bryant back in September was just silly. Give the guy a shot. Generate some more excitement at Wrigley outside of a new fucking video scoreboard and whatever else we've been promised. Rizzo and Castro both bounce back in huge ways, with Rizzo proving to truly be star material and a leader. I was extremely hard on Soler going into the season and felt like the Cubs would've whiffed big if he couldn't stay healthy. Glad I've been wrong (so far). Expecting his numbers to even out around .280/.350/.500 with 30 bomb potential. Castro is the wild card because with his defense improving and his bat stabilizing (everyone who ragged on him expecting 30 errors can tongue my friggin' frapes), I could see a team offering a ransom for him. What if a team like the Phillies became interested in a Hamels and Domonic Brown for Castro, Edwin Jackson and a B-tier prospects like Dan Vogelbach and Jeimer Candelario? The Cubs would snag a proven ace and a guy to man left? The starting lineup could end up looking like --

C -- Castillo
1B -- Rizzo
2B -- Alcantara
3B -- Bryant
SS -- Baez
RF -- Soler
CF -- Coghlan
LF -- Brown

Not too bad, eh? I wouldn't mind taking a flier on Brown hoping he settles somewhere close to his '13 digits. A potential power bat to slide between Soler and Bryant's right-hand sticks and Rizzo (a lefty). Some lineup stability!

Guys, be honest. The Cubs got exciting in August. Guys were getting opportunities. The team was playing fringe .500 ball with a collection of misfit toys and Rizzo and Castro leading the way. Arietta took my breath away. I felt confident in Ramirez, Strop and Rondon at the end of games.... I'm really fucking excited about this team going into 2015. 2014 validated a lot of the torture we've dealt with for the last few years. 80 wins is totally conceivable if the Cubs are able to flesh out the rotation and add one more solid impact bat outside of the impending Bryant introduction. Be positive, everyone. It's our time to shine.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Epstein said castro is part of 2015, he will not be traded this off season. Please no more castro trade scenarios.

In fact I really dont see any regular position player being traded this off season

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
B+ for getting over hurdles? really? :rolleyes:

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Isn't losing 66% of your starting line-up, and still performing with a bunch of rookies tossed in and very little proven pitching to speak of clearing major hurdles?

Or better yet, what would you call it?