OT: XBOX 360 Repair

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Anyone have any experience with XBOX 360 repair? Mine finally got the 3 red rings.

It appears that it's something with the mother board, where you take off the heat sinks, clean it, put on some new thermal paste, put in some nylon washers, and put it all back together.

Anyone have a good guide or links, for what size the screws and nylon washers have to be?

Thanks.

vhans5219

Liked Posts:
usually if my xbox has the 3 red rings i call 1-800-469-9269
(my xbox)
that's where i call if my xbox gets the 3 red rings

vhans5219

Liked Posts:
try that number i'm sure they will repair your xbox

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
vhans5219 wrote:
usually if my xbox has the 3 red rings i call 1-800-469-9269
(my xbox)
that's where i call if my xbox gets the 3 red rings

They want $100 for repair.

For that cost, I'd just buy the Arcade unit and slap on my hard drive. (Too bad the arcade one doesn't have that pretty chrome disc drive : (

I'm not going to pay $100, just to have the 360 breakdown in 6 months, and have them wanting to repair it for $100 again, when I can buy a stable unit for $200, with the design error taken out.

My dad is quite good with computer stuff too. (Worked in the tech field since the eighties), so we have the skill to do the repair ourselves.

It's just a matter of finding the best repair method to implement.

vhans5219

Liked Posts:
i'm not sure about that and they take $100 for repairs now ?

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
vhans5219 wrote:

Yeah. It used to be $130, so it's going down.

Should be free, because of their crappy engineering. But mines out of warranty.

MADman24

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
vhans5219 wrote:

Yeah. It used to be $130, so it's going down.

Should be free, because of their crappy engineering. But mines out of warranty.

??? ?????? wrote:
I'm not going to pay $100, just to have the 360 breakdown in 6 months, and have them wanting to repair it for $100 again, when I can buy a stable unit for $200, with the design error taken out.
I know for fact you get a one year warranty following a repair as I just received my 360 back yesterday.

I had the 3 red lights issue in the past and returned it eventually free of charge, I returned mine before they made the red ring of death repair free, so I must ask are you sure your system is completely out of warranty because the standard warranty is only for 1 year but on the 3 red lights issue and related malfunctions you get a 3 year warranty? If you are right and your system is out of warranty and you are unwilling to pay the $100, I suggest searching youtube for videos on how to fix the problem as they are more useful then a written guide... and here is a good link, with written instructions and a video, but you have to buy the info and vids, although I have not used that site myself I know they have a good reputation http://myxbox360repair.com/

Also I know that if you just want a temp solution I remember that I wrapped a towel around my system, covering all of the vents and could get it to work that way.

iamdvsj

Liked Posts:
I have two friends of mine that simultaneously got the red rings of death while we were in midseason of 2k9.

The boxes were under warranty with Xbox...and they were repaired and are now shipping back, hopefull to arrive by Tuesday.

I hope it goes smoothly.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
The thing was trashed. When I put it back together, it had 2 rings. So the three ring was eliminated, but you need the three rings (or green) to overheat the GPU to get it reset properly.

The 2 rings is the overheat code. So the motherboard got froze into thinking it was overheated, so it shutdown after a few seconds.

If you eat up the system externally, you could fix it. But I wasn't going to try that.

So I just ended up buying an XBOX 360 Arcade from Bestbuy.