Epstein press Conference

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Tidbits from his conference today. ..

@TheCCO: Theo Epstein at season ending press conference: All coaches will be invited back with exception of Mike Brumley #Cubs

@TheCCO: Theo Epstein: #Cubs goal is to win the NL Central title in 2015

@TheCCO: Epstein: Manny Ramirez has not decided if he wants to quit playing yet. #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: #Cubs plan to be involved in free agency. Time to add impact talent from outside of organization. Will not sell out for '15

@TheCCO: Epstein: Chris Coghlan will have opportunity to have meaningful role, #Cubs would like to add talent to outfield

@TheCCO: Epstein: Adding on-base percentage will be focus for the #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Our expectations are that Javier Baez will be on the #Cubs out of Spring Training as starting second baseman

@BleacherNation: Epstein is emphasizing that 2015 isn't the year it ALL comes together in terms of young talent, FA, huge payroll, facilities, etc.

@BleacherNation: But that doesn't mean the Cubs can't compete next year. Epstein believes they will take a big step forward. It just won't be the apex.

@TheCCO: Epstein: People that have been paying attention are excited about the #Cubs. We are excited about the

@TheCCO: Epstein: Over the next 15 months we feel like we will add impact pitching to the organization #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Feels #Cubs have done 5-6 years of work in 3 years. Feels lik
e a little ahead of where they expected

@TheCCO: Epstein: #Cubs plan on keeping Justin Grimm and Neil Ramirez in the bullpen. No plans to move them out of the pen.

@TheCCO: Epstein: We are making our plans for 2015 with Starlin Castro at the shortstop position #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Addison Russell will report to Spring Training as a SS, will get exposure to 2B & 3B in the spring. #Cubs have discussed w/ Russell

@TheCCO: Epstein: Renteria started becoming more comfortable with in-game decisions as season progressed #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Renteria was not given the best roster to work with and dealt with restrictions on relievers #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Very happy for Hector Rondon. Rondon worked very hard, thinks he has a chance to stick at closer #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Still working through which #Cubs will participate in winter ball. Junior Lake is playing winter ball, all confirmed at this time

@ESPNChiCubs: Theo re Cards: "We have to do a lot of things they do to be successful...There's contempt (competitively) and admiration"

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tidbits from his conference today. ..

@TheCCO: Theo Epstein at season ending press conference: All coaches will be invited back with exception of Mike Brumley #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Manny Ramirez has not decided if he wants to quit playing yet. #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: #Cubs plan to be involved in free agency. Time to add impact talent from outside of organization. Will not sell out for '15

@TheCCO: Epstein: Chris Coghlan will have opportunity to have meaningful role, #Cubs would like to add talent to outfield

@TheCCO: Epstein: Adding on-base percentage will be focus for the #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Our expectations are that Javier Baez will be on the #Cubs out of Spring Training as starting second baseman

@BleacherNation: Epstein is emphasizing that 2015 isn't the year it ALL comes together in terms of young talent, FA, huge payroll, facilities, etc.

@BleacherNation: But that doesn't mean the Cubs can't compete next year. Epstein believes they will take a big step forward. It just won't be the apex.

@TheCCO: Epstein: People that have been paying attention are excited about the #Cubs. We are excited about the

@TheCCO: Epstein: Over the next 15 months we feel like we will add impact pitching to the organization #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Feels #Cubs have done 5-6 years of work in 3 years. Feels lik
e a little ahead of where they expected

@TheCCO: Epstein: #Cubs plan on keeping Justin Grimm and Neil Ramirez in the bullpen. No plans to move them out of the pen.

@TheCCO: Epstein: We are making our plans for 2015 with Starlin Castro at the shortstop position #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Addison Russell will report to Spring Training as a SS, will get exposure to 2B & 3B in the spring. #Cubs have discussed w/ Russell

@TheCCO: Epstein: Renteria started becoming more comfortable with in-game decisions as season progressed #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Renteria was not given the best roster to work with and dealt with restrictions on relievers #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Very happy for Hector Rondon. Rondon worked very hard, thinks he has a chance to stick at closer #Cubs

@TheCCO: Epstein: Still working through which #Cubs will participate in winter ball. Junior Lake is playing winter ball, all confirmed at this time

@ESPNChiCubs: Theo re Cards: "We have to do a lot of things they do to be successful...There's contempt (competitively) and admiration"

The things I bolded I would like to discuss.

The first one about the 5-6 years is fluff. They never thought it would take that long when Epstein was hired. The new CBA affected that and they decided to completely punt for these seasons. I doubt Theo sold Ricketts on maybe starting to become competitive 5 to 6 years from when he started. Just my two cents.

The second and third bolded parts go hand and hand. I highly doubt the Cubs would start moving Russell around unless they feel like Castro is pretty set for the next year or two. Its always great to have flexibility in a player, but they rarely move onto they have to. I can very much see Russell doing what Baez did this year when about half way through the season they move him.

I also think Baez is guaranteed second unless he completely bombs in spring training and I mean completely bombs. Spring training isnt the greatest thing to judge players on, but if he is that bad then they will have to take note.

Also, as much as we talk Bryant going to third. I could see him working in the OF this season and maybe putting him in left and letting Valbuena hold third for most of the year.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

Not if Bryant doesn't start the year on the team. Not if all they sign is reclamation projects.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
@TheCCO: Epstein: People that have been paying attention are excited about the #Cubs

So if you are not excited you weren't paying attention? Perhaps @TheCCO misquoted that.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
The first one about the 5-6 years is fluff. They never thought it would take that long when Epstein was hired. The new CBA affected that and they decided to completely punt for these seasons. I doubt Theo sold Ricketts on maybe starting to become competitive 5 to 6 years from when he started. Just my two cents.

maybe he talking about the system and on how quickly some of the prospects have moved forward and how quickly the system has emerged..

The second and third bolded parts go hand and hand. I highly doubt the Cubs would start moving Russell around unless they feel like Castro is pretty set for the next year or two. Its always great to have flexibility in a player, but they rarely move onto they have to. I can very much see Russell doing what Baez did this year when about half way through the season they move him.

first I hope what he said about Castro will stop the million TRADE CASTRO posts for this off season...

the movement on Russell is said to be for the Spring, I think that's mainly to get him extra ABs and allow him to start games when Castro at SS..

Also, as much as we talk Bryant going to third. I could see him working in the OF this season and maybe putting him in left and letting Valbuena hold third for most of the year

that answer will come most likely by the winter meetings in Dec. if they sign a OFer or not..

I also think Baez is guaranteed second unless he completely bombs in spring training and I mean completely bombs. Spring training isnt the greatest thing to judge players on, but if he is that bad then they will have to take note.

I agree here.. if Baez ends ST striking out half his ABs and looking as he did in Chicago, they need to reevaluate their decision on him..
last thing the kid needs after his start this year is to go north and start out 20 for 100 with 40 Ks, that will kill his confidence..

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
last thing the kid needs after his start this year is to go north and start out 20 for 100 with 40 Ks, that will kill his confidence..

That would be an improvement for him, no?

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I thought they might look into replacing Mueller as hitting coach..

that will go a long way with who their able to bring in this off season...

good to hear but actions speaks louder then words.. looking forward to the off season

I figured coghlan will most likely be their 4th OFer..

meaning that's the plan as long as he doesn't bomb during ST

I guess if you over analyze this with the 15 mos., he may be saying 1 impact starter this off season and 1 next off season

will this end the million they should trade Castro for... posts ? my guess no LOL

if they get a LFer and Bryant comes up and plays 3B, have to think 1 of 2 things going to happen here.. either they do with Russell like they did with Bryant and hold him down til 2016 or were going to be looking at a major trade come deadline with one of either Castro, Baez, or Russell..

Renteria had a rough start but he surprised me with his finish and keeping this team playing hard to the end..
hopefully with set position players he settles in on a lineup and continues to improve on in game decisions...

wouldn't mind seeing all 3 in Alcantara, Baez, and Soler going to WB and continuing to work on things

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would entertain Alcantara over Castro, Russell, or Baez if Alcantara does well. He has the lowest ceiling and has a floor that is a touch above Baez. I was one of the first people on the Alcantara train, but if we were trading out. Him and Almora would be on my list to go, but that can change if he produces and other players arent producing.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I think the Cubs would entertain Alcantara over Castro, Russell, or Baez if Alcantara does well. He has the lowest ceiling and has a floor that is a touch above Baez. I was one of the first people on the Alcantara train, but if we were trading out. Him and Almora would be on my list to go, but that can change if he produces and other players arent producing.
That dont open up a spot in IF though..

My original post was IF they go out and get a LFer and have Bryant play 3B when he comes up..

IF they bring Russell up this year, with Castro at SS, Baez at 2b, and Bryant at 3B where they playing Russell ?

That why im throwing out there that maybe they hold Russell down til 2016 or we might expect a major trade in July 2015.
Of course only if they go out and get a legit LFer and Bryant comes up and plays 3B.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That dont open up a spot in IF though..

My original post was IF they go out and get a LFer and have Bryant play 3B when he comes up..

IF they bring Russell up this year, with Castro at SS, Baez at 2b, and Bryant at 3B where they playing Russell ?

That why im throwing out there that maybe they hold Russell down til 2016 or we might expect a major trade in July 2015.
Of course only if they go out and get a legit LFer and Bryant comes up and plays 3B.

If Russell and Baez make it and the Cubs want Castro there, they will take precedent on an IF job over Bryant. Bryant defense will be nothing over league average. You can move Bryant to left, which a lot of people think is his destined position before it is all said and done. My post wasnt about making room. I was saying who could be a headline for a big name. Alcantara has the tools and the youth but the lowest ceiling. Thats why I said I could see them entertain him more over anyone.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If Russell and Baez make it and the Cubs want Castro there, they will take precedent on an IF job over Bryant. Bryant defense will be nothing over league average. You can move Bryant to left, which a lot of people think is his destined position before it is all said and done. My post wasnt about making room. I was saying who could be a headline for a big name. Alcantara has the tools and the youth but the lowest ceiling. Thats why I said I could see them entertain him more over anyone.
He also brings back the least

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Ok.. I thought you were responding from my post about Alcantara...

I agree about Bryant but then if we are to assume that going into the off season they plan on Bryant eventually in LF if Russell makes the jump in 2015, does that mean they dont sign a major FA for LF ?

Cause im asking if they do bring in a major LFer on a long term deal, then what decision do they make with Russell if/when he ready to come up ?

Do they hold him down or look to deal Castro Baez or him ?

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I think only time will tell when it comes to what position Bryant plays. If a player gets traded, it should be Baez as he is the highest risk. However his value has dropped and the Cubs likely value him more so than another team would. I still think the Cubs should play Bryant in LF.

Them saying they want to add an OF means that they are either trading someone, or don't believe in Alcantara or Baez. Otherwise one of these guys are going to be a bench piece.

Really the only OF guys that make sense for the Cubs would be Span or Melky. Markakis would be great but there is no way the Orioles don't pick up his option. Span has an option as well, which I would expect the Nationals to pick up

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The key was they were talking about adding OBA bats. Looks like Cog is the 4th OF now.

So 2 spots to look at 3B and LF.

Chase Headley (31) .347 career
Melky Cabrera (30) q-offer but top 10 pick protected: career oba: .351
Nori Aoki (33) .353 career OBA

Those 3 stand out right now.

Pitching I see them looking at a list of Lester, Maeda and Max Scherzer

Had to bet I would look at Lester here. I'll bet they go with Turner and Doubront as the 4/5 with Hendricks as the 3.

Now if Lester shuts down the field and just goes back to Boston I would guess Maeda due to his age. Scherzer I'll be sticks on the market late due to his price tag. He would be a last case.

Should be interesting.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs waiting on Manny to decide on future
September, 30, 2014
SEP 30
3:49
PM CT
Rogers By Jesse Rogers
ESPNChicago.com
Archive
1211COMMENTS5EMAILPRINT
CHICAGO -- If former slugger Manny Ramirez officially retires, the Chicago Cubs could have an opening for him as a coach on their major league staff.

Ramirez, 42, was a player-coach for the Triple-A Iowa Cubs this season and garnered positive reviews from the front office.

[+] EnlargeManny Ramirez
Brendan Maloney/USA TODAY Sports
Iowa Cubs player-coach Manny Ramirez "has not decided to retire as of yet," says Theo Epstein.
"Manny has not decided to retire as of yet," Cubs president Theo Epstein said Tuesday. "He did an outstanding job for the organization this year and we're going to continue to stay in touch depending on what he wants to do in his career."

The Cubs dismissed their assistant hitting coach, Mike Brumley, on Tuesday. Epstein wouldn't comment on the possibility of Ramirez joining the major league Cubs in that role.

"I want to see if he continues to play or not before I answer that question," he said.

During his time at Triple-A, Ramirez wasn't sure what he wanted to do after this season, either. He did indicate that he enjoyed coaching.

"When you help somebody and see them grow up and maybe down the road you're going to be in your house and say, 'Wow, I worked with this kid. Look at him now. He's doing it.' I think that's great satisfaction," Ramirez said.

By all accounts, Ramirez was helpful with the Cubs' core of young players.

"He's teaching me what to look for ahead of time from a pitcher," 21-year-old second baseman Javier Baez said earlier this season. "He knows how they are going to pitch me."

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/27770/cubs-waiting-on-manny-to-decide-on-future

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The first one about the 5-6 years is fluff.

I'm not so sure. Keep in mind thus far their top end drafting has been rather stellar. Additionally, they have been able to add a lot via trades that most considered favorable to the cubs. If they either drafted poorly a year or two or didn't have nearly as favorable trades 5-6 years doesn't seem that unreasonable as a hope. Maybe you can say it's "worst case" but if Feldman doesn't pitch well you don't have Arrieta and Strop who look to be good building blocks. If Maholm doesn't pitch well you don't get Vizcaino who looks promising and so on and so forth.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
If Hammel doesn't pitch well you likely don't have Addison Russell. Who looks to be the most polished Cub in the system. Granted he still has a far way to go to reach ML caliber.

They really hit on the majority of their rebound FA signings. Obviously the Jackson deal is atrocious, and Ian Stewart was a bum , but other than that they have done well on that front

beckdawg

Liked Posts:

I highly doubt it. For one, Alcantara switch hits and as you well know they lack left handed hitters. For two, he makes whatever they eventually do easier because of his options to play in multiple areas. And finally for three, if you're read any reason comments from the club they've talked about adding speed and top of the order types since they already possess a lot of power. I also don't agree about your ceiling/floor comment but I'm pretty sure I've made my point there so I wont go into it more than to say I think people undervalue 20/20 types. Look at someone like Michael Brantley to see what Alcantara could be. At 6.6 fWAR fangraphs WAR model thinks he's the 3rd most valuable player in the game this year and thats with him playing what they consider poor defense.

If you get that out of CF then even if Baez also reaches his peak at 2B you're probably taking the 20/20 average defense CF over a 35 HR 2B if you're most teams. It's why someone like Byron Buxton is pretty routinely the #1 prospect in most people's eyes. And additionally, it's not like Alcantara even has to do much to be a 20/20 player. In 300 PAs he hit 10 HRs and had 8 steals. If you figure 650 PAs is typically you're average non-injury season he's almost sure to get there just doing what he's doing. Obviously, you want to see his triple slash improve greatly but there's a lot of room left on there to be a highly valuable player.