Lester blowing it for the A's

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
It's all about getting hot. No different from any sport besides basketball. Home court seems to play a way bigger advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Angels were smoking hot going into the playoffs so I'm not exactly sure what you're definition of "getting hot" is?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
It's all about getting hot. No different from any sport besides basketball. Home court seems to play a way bigger advantage

Ok.. but that not what I was asking

I like seeing underdog low payroll , and or young scrappy teams beating teams that go all out and spend the big bucks on high priced FAs

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Angels were smoking hot going into the playoffs so I'm not exactly sure what you're definition of "getting hot" is?

So, Royals werent hotter? You just have made 3 pages of your nonsense.
They have won 3 straight extra inning games.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:

Being hot during the playoffs matter. Being hot before the playoffs doesn't always correlate to being hot in the playoffs though as the Angels have shown so far and the White Sox backing into the playoffs in 05 showed.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Being hot during the playoffs matter. Being hot before the playoffs doesn't always correlate to being hot in the playoffs though as the Angels have shown so far and the White Sox backing into the playoffs in 05 showed.
The White Sox backed in??? Weren't they wire to wire???

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The White Sox backed in??? Weren't they wire to wire???

Yes, but didn't the Indians make it close in the final week or so. I recall them not playing well in September.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just double checked and it was August that they were below .500, and September was a 17 win month (though the Indians did pull close to the White Sox in the final week getting as close as 1.5 but fell apart so I withdraw the backed in comment since they finished with a 6 game lead). I am sure it wouldn't take my long to find a team that played poorly in September and won it all though.

Last edited:

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
And I found them in under 5 minutes of searching baseball reference, the 2006 Cardinals. Not only did they have a lose record in the month of October and September prior to the playoffs, but in August as well. Their post-deadline record was 25-32, but of course Cardinals. On top of that they were 3-9 in their final 12 regular season games. Playoffs are fluky man. They just are.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Yes, but didn't the Indians make it close in the final week or so. I recall them not playing well in September.
It got to a game and a half before they pulled away

But thats not remotely close to backing in

Edit: sorry...id delete if I coulf

Thanks for your recind :)

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the indians gave the sox a finish but they didnt back in, there are some teams like the 06 cards that are fluky and teams like the 05 sox that played very well the entire season.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Another example is Washington vs. San Fran. San Fran was 4-6 in their last 10 going into the playoffs. Washington was 8-2 and playing really well heading into the playoffs with their SP rotation all set up. So no, it goes deeper than just "being hot."

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another example is Washington vs. San Fran. San Fran was 4-6 in their last 10 going into the playoffs. Washington was 8-2 and playing really well heading into the playoffs with their SP rotation all set up. So no, it goes deeper than just "being hot."

San Francisco has won their past 10 post season games. I didnt know teams dont get hot in the playoffs. I didnt know they had to be hot in the regular season to be hot for the playoffs. Of course its more than just being hot, you have to have a good fucking team and matchups play the part. Stop being so fucking stupid before I close the this thread of ignorance.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Fortunately, someone recently wrote an article on this topic...

"So there you have it. Is there any way to possibly say that momentum matters heading into the postseason? I would say no. I don't see anything above to suggest it means much and the bet is that if we go throughout the entire history of MLB, we would end up with similar data. Sometimes momentum does help teams, sometimes it doesn't. So there's no predictive value."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...cessarily-correlate-to-postseason-performance

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That article talks about heading into the off season. It mattered in 2008 for the Cubs. They clinched a week early and the regs were rested that week. They went up against the Dodgers looking flat.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
San Francisco has won their past 10 post season games. I didnt know teams dont get hot in the playoffs. I didnt know they had to be hot in the regular season to be hot for the playoffs. Of course its more than just being hot, you have to have a good fucking team and matchups play the part. Stop being so fucking stupid before I close the this thread of ignorance.

Okay so you're saying San Fran has an automatic switch that they flip on the minute they get into the playoffs but they're unable to do the same thing to close out the regular season when things are still up in the air? Makes sense. Thanks.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Okay so you're saying San Fran has an automatic switch that they flip on the minute they get into the playoffs but they're unable to do the same thing to close out the regular season when things are still up in the air? Makes sense. Thanks.

Haha no

justaChifan

Liked Posts:
What's the arguement then? I always thought the pundits meant teams that are hot going into the postseason had a better chance, which means playing well at the end of the reg. season.
There's no reason to close the this thread of ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.