Bulls final training camp roster; starters named

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
Since we're only days away from our pre season kicking off, I thought I'd post the finalized training camp roster.

Aaron Brooks
Derrick Rose
Doug McDermott
Ben Hansbrough
Kirk Hinrich
Joakim Noah
Pau Gasol
Tony Snell
Jimmy Butler
Taj Gibson
Kim English
Solomon Jones
Mike Dunleavy
Cameron Bairstow
Nazr Mohammed
E'Twaun Moore
Nikola Mirotic

Thibbs has come out and said his starters are Rose, Butler, Dunleavy, Gasol, and Noah which I don't think is a shock to anyone. I know a lot of people on this board are in love with Bairstow for reasons unknown to me but I don't see him making the active roster. If he does get the final spot, he's not seeing any PT. If Rose stays healthy, the only team I think that would beat them in a 7 game series is the Cavs. The FO has done a great job this year filling the roster from top to bottom.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
so who are the players in very real roster jeapordy. Whats the Bubble here?

1) Nazr vs Bairstow vs Jones for 1 spot? or could they command 2?
2) Hinrich vs Hansbourough and Moore for 2 spots? maybe put Brooks in that group and call it 3 spots with a guarantee to Hinrich and a likely for Brooks.

English gone.

It seems like if you just cut English/Hansbourough/Jones you are at 14. Is that legal?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
so who are the players in very real roster jeapordy. Whats the Bubble here?

1) Nazr vs Bairstow vs Jones for 1 spot? or could they command 2?
2) Hinrich vs Hansbourough and Moore for 2 spots? maybe put Brooks in that group and call it 3 spots with a guarantee to Hinrich and a likely for Brooks.

English gone.

It seems like if you just cut English/Hansbourough/Jones you are at 14. Is that legal?
You're allowed to have players inactive I believe. Active roster is 13 so it'd just be one extra person.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't want to write off Jones yet.

I look at Hansbourogh just as basic Hinrich insurance. When you have a guard like Hinrich a noticeable decline will happen someday, some off-season, so you bring in a guy like Ben just in case that time is now. I think Hansbourough is actually comparable to Moore and Brooks, so he also adds some competition to that group. Jones is similar in being Nazr insurance.

Its seems pretty basic to me. If we have to remove 4 guys.

Meaning. Rose-Butler-Gibson-Gasol-Noah-Mirotic-McBuckets is your current untouchable Bulls core. Just one old guy in the group too.

Snell and Dunleavy are the wild cards due to high trade potential and ease of moving them either along with picks for a SG, or to acquire more assets for future if you see a need to start player in Miro or McD at SF.

1st cut) or inactive English.

2nd cut) 3 of these 4 in order of security- 1) Hinrich 2) Brooks 3) Moore 4) Hansbourough

3rd and 4th cut) keep 1 1) Nazr 2) Bairstow 3) Jones

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
3 Deep NBA Roster

PG- Rose-Hinrich-Brooks-Moore
SG- Butler-Brooks-Moore-Dunleavy
SF- Dunleavy-Snell-McDermot-Mirotic
PF-Gasol-Gibson-Mirotic-(Bairstow or Jones)
C0 Noah-Gasol-Nazr-Gibson

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think of the 3 invites we would keep Jones. He's probably the best player of the bunch as he's had more NBA experience plus we could use a little extra depth at SF in the event of a Dunleavy trade. Not sure if Jones can swing to the SG spot though, but we have Moore for that if need be.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Jones is a center....i think you confused him with Dahntay Jones

i doubt any of the training camp invites make the squad

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jones is a center....i think you confused him with Dahntay Jones

i doubt any of the training camp invites make the squad
Well you seem to be absolutely correct. For whatever reason I thought he was a SF. In that case, there's no real reason for any of them to make the team. Maybe they take Jones over Nazr for more youth...but whatever.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
The FO has done a great job this year filling the roster from top to bottom.

It's nice to hear this imo. GarPax have taken so much heat I think they should get some credit for having an awesome off season, even if we could land Melo, who never wanted to come here anyway. Not only have they created a great deep roster, they have kept us under the tax threshold and set us pretty good in the long term contract wise. The Bulls should be able to make some moves yet in the near future as well.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
You're allowed to have players inactive I believe. Active roster is 13 so it'd just be one extra person.

I'm pretty sure they can keep a 15 man roster now with 13 active players. I also believe there's a 1 day limit to being inactive as well which should allow the Bulls to play a matchup game.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm pretty sure they can keep a 15 man roster now with 13 active players. I also believe there's a 1 day limit to being inactive as well which should allow the Bulls to play a matchup game.
Yeah 15 has always been the full roster limit. Most teams don't use all 15 spots, but yeah we could definitely keep these players if they showed enough to warrant keeping them.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That means we only need to get rid of English and 1 of B.Hans, Jones, or Bairstow?

However....is it easier for roster purposes to hold Bairstow on the D league for a while? No league is as complicated as the NBA, I don't know how anything works....you need 3 lawyers just to waive somebody.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bottom line though....is we aren't relying on the types of players most franchises make the mistake of relying on.

Mirotic and McD are complete luxuries the way this roster is constructed. If we strike gold great, if not it doesn't change our projections or starting lineup.

We don't have to start Adam Morrison at the 3 for 2 years and be handicapped. They are barely asked to be role players....its really just how good are you and how good can you get how quickly?

We have minutes for you if your good enough, and if your really good we'll vacate Dunleavy and/or Snell.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That means we only need to get rid of English and 1 of B.Hans, Jones, or Bairstow?

However....is it easier for roster purposes to hold Bairstow on the D league for a while? No league is as complicated as the NBA, I don't know how anything works....you need 3 lawyers just to waive somebody.
I'm pretty sure if we sent Bairstow to the DLeague that frees up a roster spot. It's quite likely he spends time in the DLeague anyway just to get him some run. We don't really need any of those 3 players we picked up for training camp. It's all cherries on top of the cake at this point.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
I don't want to write off Jones yet.

I look at Hansbourogh just as basic Hinrich insurance. When you have a guard like Hinrich a noticeable decline will happen someday, some off-season, so you bring in a guy like Ben just in case that time is now. I think Hansbourough is actually comparable to Moore and Brooks, so he also adds some competition to that group. Jones is similar in being Nazr insurance.

Its seems pretty basic to me. If we have to remove 4 guys.

Meaning. Rose-Butler-Gibson-Gasol-Noah-Mirotic-McBuckets is your current untouchable Bulls core. Just one old guy in the group too.

Snell and Dunleavy are the wild cards due to high trade potential and ease of moving them either along with picks for a SG, or to acquire more assets for future if you see a need to start player in Miro or McD at SF.

1st cut) or inactive English.

2nd cut) 3 of these 4 in order of security- 1) Hinrich 2) Brooks 3) Moore 4) Hansbourough

3rd and 4th cut) keep 1 1) Nazr 2) Bairstow 3) Jones

Hinrich, Brooks, Nazr, Moore and Bairstow all have contracts. None of them are being cut during the pre-season. To think that Hinrich, Brooks, or even Nazr, for that matter, would be cut is rather laughable. None of the invitees will make the team. They are there because bodies are needed to compete in exhibition play to keep the real rotation players healthy before the season starts. Bairstow will make the team because he was drafted and they aren't just going to throw him away for nothing. He could spend some time in the D-League but the Bulls, in general, have not utilized the D-League much since it's inception.

Moore is the only player I see on the bubble because there are Rose, Hinrich, & Brooks ahead of him on the depth chart at PG, and he only has a partially guaranteed contract. He will definitely need to play his way onto the team.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hinrich, Brooks, Nazr, Moore and Bairstow all have contracts. None of them are being cut during the pre-season. To think that Hinrich, Brooks, or even Nazr, for that matter, would be cut is rather laughable. None of the invitees will make the team. They are there because bodies are needed to compete in exhibition play to keep the real rotation players healthy before the season starts. Bairstow will make the team because he was drafted and they aren't just going to throw him away for nothing. He could spend some time in the D-League but the Bulls, in general, have not utilized the D-League much since it's inception.

Moore is the only player I see on the bubble because there are Rose, Hinrich, & Brooks ahead of him on the depth chart at PG, and he only has a partially guaranteed contract. He will definitely need to play his way onto the team.

I agree except I think there is a chance Solomon Jones makes the team. Do you really kick the tires on an 8 year vet if you aren't interested?

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Perhaps a shocker to no one, but the 3 camp invitees were waived today

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
The only team that might have more depth than this team is San Antonio and that's really not a knock at all. This team that has been constructed is probably the best mix of offensive and defensive talent that we have had in the DRose era.

I don't even see how Cleveland beats us this year. That team looks like it is going t leak a lot of points defensively. Kyrie, Love and Waiters don't play defense. Varejao is a poor mans Joakim Noah and not really a presence in the paint. I think Cleveland will put up huge numbers offensively once they learn to play together but I just don't see them being able to stop anybody.