Leddy to the Islanders

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Traded for D Ville Pokka, D T.J. Brennan and G Anders Nilsson.

Don't know much about the other two, but Brennan was the top defenseman for Toronto's AHL team last year. Scored 72 points in 74 games and is reportedly good on the power play. Just 25 years old, so could be something there.

Anders Nilsson is a lot like Ben Bishop, tall and lanky at 6'6. He got thrown into the fire early in Long Island, when Rick DiPietro was abandoned because he flat out sucked back in 2011. For a very young and inexperienced (but the talent's there) AHL team for the Islanders, Nilsson was pretty good. 2.8 GAA, saw about 30 shots put on him a game per AHL game. Had a really good Swedish summer camp. He did sign with the KHL in May.

Ville Pokka has youth going for him, needs some work before he gets accustomed to the American game.

It seems like the Hawks got less value, but it was obvious Leddy had to go. 2.7 mil this year, a contract year; then an unrestricted free agent; where even in an average year he's gonna get 3.5+ mil a year going forward, a luxury the hawks cannot afford a 3rd line DMan.

Also, and this is more personal how I like my team, but I'm not a big fan of the offensive defensemen. Guys like Leddy, Karlsson in Ottawa, and Letang in Pittsburgh are fun to watch, but big liabilities to their teams. Their job is defense first, second, and third and help offensively fourth. The sweet point shot is nice, but I'd rather my guy have a great transition and pinch game from offense to defense in a 1 on 1 or a 2 on 1, neither characteristic Leddy had.

He was nice, but a luxury that wasn't necessary. Plus I don't think Q was a fan of his. And they really like Clendening, Johns, Rundblad and Dahlbeck (or Dahlstrom, they got 2 swiss Dmen and I forget the one who's good and the other who's 17.)

And FWIW, Nobody wants Versteeg or Rozsival's contracts. Oduya would have gotten something, but the hawks likely would have had to take a salary back. Still though, a pick from the Islanders wouldn't have hurt. A front end of any draft round would have been nice.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also, and this is more personal how I like my team, but I'm not a big fan of the offensive defensemen. Guys like Leddy, Karlsson in Ottawa, and Letang in Pittsburgh are fun to watch, but big liabilities to their teams. Their job is defense first, second, and third and help offensively fourth. The sweet point shot is nice, but I'd rather my guy have a great transition and pinch game from offense to defense in a 1 on 1 or a 2 on 1, neither characteristic Leddy had.

Oh, I love a good offensive defenseman. Still miss watching Brian Campbell every game (although I certainly don't miss his salary hit). It's an incredibly tough role to master. I don't think people refer to him as an offensive defenseman, but I think Duncan Keith plays an incredible offensive game for the blue line. Probably why he's got two Norris trophies.

Still though, a pick from the Islanders wouldn't have hurt. A front end of any draft round would have been nice.

I agree, but the Islanders didn't have much left after sending two 2nds and a 3rd to Boston for Boychuk just before the Leddy trade.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Oh, I love a good offensive defenseman. Still miss watching Brian Campbell every game (although I certainly don't miss his salary hit). It's an incredibly tough role to master. I don't think people refer to him as an offensive defenseman, but I think Duncan Keith plays an incredible offensive game for the blue line. Probably why he's got two Norris trophies.

I agree, but the Islanders didn't have much left after sending two 2nds and a 3rd to Boston for Boychuk just before the Leddy trade.

They also sent a 1st for Vanek in 2015 to Buffalo......

Keith moves the puck and is a big part of the offense, but his defensive game is his bread and butter. I consider a 2-way defenseman, because he can shoot, and pass--but often doesn't have to. Similar to all time great Nik Lidstrom in play style regards, though the career totals not as much yet.

And the Norris has become overrated in several years past by the offensive side. Karlsson won it in 2012 I believe, and I don't think he should have, he beat Shea Weber by a hair, and Weber (I'm positive its because he's in Nashville) deserved that. Guys like Karlsson should be playing wing, it was embarrassing he had a -16 last year and was up for the Norris voting then. I understand EK has to do it all in his offense, because Ottawa is in rebuild mode trying to mix and match young talent to replace once were allstars Alfredsson and Spezza, and decline of guys like Milan Michalek.

Karlsson, after Bobby Ryan is the focal point of the offense, and its quite alright for some people to think that's okay, but I think that's wrong. Karlsson's transition off a turn over and pinching is average at best. The Norris is for the best defenseman, and Keith took away many opposing top lined players and their chances. That's a defenseman.

Want to score 20-25 goals? That's fine. Go be a winger or in an offense that sucks quite like Ottawa. Just how I like it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just holding my breathe on the waivers. If we get Brennan to clear waivers and land in the farm than I feel ok about this trade.

Good Finnish prospect to make Tuevo happy, help him grow up not alone, have someone to ask things and speak with, and translate, and suffer through the difficulties of being in a foreign land together. Ok...I get it. Just for that it was worth it. Leddy was fun to watch, but he made mental passing errors and too many turnovers for how smooth of potential his feet showed. I wish we could keep him but I understand we are the top and teams like the Bruins, Blackhawks, and Kings must be chipped away at by the system designed for parity and fairness. We are doing one helluva front office job of extending the championship window and re-rolling. Keeping the core, adding the toughness when needed.

I just want to actually retain the 3 players we traded Leddy for. The Finnish kid I know nothing about, but the Maple Leafs were super excited about the 100 points by Brennan in the AHL.

Some stat about scoring 12.3% of their offense from a defense position. He can for sure be worked into a powerplay.

Will be interesting to see what happens with a guy like Nordstrum.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Rask, I read somewhere that Brennan and Pokka have been assigned to Rockford.

Edit: Nevermind that rask, it was Regin and Leighton that were assigned to Rockford.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rask, I read somewhere that Brennan and Pokka have been assigned to Rockford.

Pokka goes with Tuevo for sure. Brennan will too for right now but only if he clears waivers. Best time of year to clear waivers unless Maple Leafs wanted him back badly.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pokka goes with Tuevo for sure. Brennan will too for right now but only if he clears waivers. Best time of year to clear waivers unless Maple Leafs wanted him back badly.

I messed that up Rask, it was Regin and Leighton not Pokka and Brennan.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leddy for Pokka is basically the deal.

Still trotting out horse shit like Rozy..hooray.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The goalie is also physcically elite, you aren't going to just upgrade Crow easily, so taking a flyer on a 6'8" beast with contractual limitations and see what develops.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You're gonna do this shit all season again, aren't you?

hqdefault.jpg

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its time for the youth movement. Lets move on from all the non-elite dinosaurs constricting our style and the abilities of our high priced core. Let the grit come from youthful exuberence and fierce competitiotn to beat out the other youth for spots.

Wish they would just clear house of Versteeg, Rozy, Mashinter, and Carcillo and start rotating in a bunch of hard looks at all our depth in rockford. Don't overwork any of them, keep them hungry, and rotate them in for a while.

The old and gritty and clogging up the farm!! I get why, but its hard to say what style is best for now or for the future.

I'll calm down and trust the front office has a plan. Its possible Morin is a more marginal player than Versteeg, and a healthy Versteeg will have more impact?

Better to keep a full stocked salmon farm fresh for the home stretch and build a winning culture in Rockford?

You guys buy tickets to Rockford this year? They look to be stacked, and an epic highlight reel with Tuevo cutting his teeth down there in the only fashion he knows how. As the leader of the team.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Its time for the youth movement. Lets move on from all the non-elite dinosaurs constricting our style and the abilities of our high priced core. Let the grit come from youthful exuberence and fierce competitiotn to beat out the other youth for spots.

They'll have no choice after this season. When Toews and Kane's new deals hit the books for 2015-16, some of the older players are gone. Sharp and Seabrook could very well be two of them.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Good trade. Leddy has the tools just did not put them together here in Chicago. He will struggle a lot in New York where the supporting cast is much weaker and his minutes cannot be protected. Clendening or Fournier are basically the same type of player anyway in the system. No way we're the Hawks going to qualify Leddy after this year too.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The goalie is also physcically elite, you aren't going to just upgrade Crow easily, so taking a flyer on a 6'8" beast with contractual limitations and see what develops.

I'd trade Crawford in a second if someone wanted him. The Scotty Bowman system does not require a lot of money tied up in goaltending. Hawks extended Crawford for PR purposes unfortunately.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Rozy but like Handzus, he's finished.

Dude is a fucking dinosaur.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'd trade Crawford in a second if someone wanted him. The Scotty Bowman system does not require a lot of money tied up in goaltending. Hawks extended Crawford for PR purposes unfortunately.

While I agree that it was surprising for the Hawks to throw $6 million AAV at Crow, who 's gonna play goal if they move him now?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it had to be done. no bitching

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk