Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Takeaways from the Cleveland game:

Rose is likely going to destroy Kyrie when they're matched up with each other. Kyrie had a ton of points...with Rose on the bench.

The only shot I saw McDermott make was that Dirk-like fadeaway after he got his shot blocked by Thompson. The move he did to get that shot off created a ridiculous amount of space. I would like to see more of this. He's clearly got the ability to create his own shot in certain situations. If we can take advantage of his skill there, he'll be worth that much more to us offensively than just running off of screens all game.

I don't think Hinrich ever guarded Kyrie, but he did a solid job on Waiters. He could probably do a solid job on Kyrie too if he had to guard him.

Refs are going to give Cleveland a lot of calls.

I was only able to watch the 3rd quarter and the last 90 seconds of the 4th so that's all I got.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Eh...I'm still drinking the McDermott kool aid. I think he'll be fine. He's got the ability to contribute offensively in a huge way with shooting 3s, getting to the line, and even making space for others. If he's playing at the same time as Rose, that's huge because that's one less guy helping on a Rose drive. The percentages will come as we get into the regular season. It's not like Rose was lighting it up from the field before tonight's game. Heck, Brooks wasn't even shooting that great either. Dunleavy was shooting 55% from 3 before tonight...probably not going to carry over either. How they look is more important than the numbers you see in the box score when it comes to preseason.
Honestly I'd rather see McD start over Dunleavy, who shouldn't be a nba starter unless the real starter is hurt. Its easy to see why so many people are drinking McD koolaid because he's good at getting his shot off quickly which looks slick doing it. He's like a bigger, slower, and less talented Steph Curry out there. I see his potential so I'm not ringing the alarm yet, it just looks like Thibs is forcing it at the expense of more deserving players.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
it just looks like Thibs is forcing it at the expense of more deserving players.
Eh...he played Snell more minutes tonight than McDermott. Yes, part of it was out of necessity, but he could've easily played Hinrich more minutes instead of Snell. I highly doubt anyone considers Snell more deserving of minutes than McDermott. Mirotic has a ton of potential and may end up the better player down the line, but he will go stretches where he looks completely lost. Again, in terms of contributions right now, McDermott I feel still has the lead there.

Also, Steph Curry is one of the best players in the league imo (offensively anyway) so having McDermott look like any kind of version of him is a pretty good compliment lol.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
I'm as high on Brooks as I am McBuckets. If offense is the concern, the Bulls' best line-up might be Brooks-Rose-Butler-Taj-Gasol to end games. Rose guarding Waiters; Brooks on Irving; Butler on James; Gasol bodying Varejao and defending the rim; Taj (or Noah) defending Love and the pick-and-roll game. You have Rose and Brooks who can create their own shot and for others off the dribble. And you have Gasol who you can throw it to (and you can't foul) who can back you down for his own shot in the post.
WTF... Did you see what Kyrie was doing to Brooks??? Thats a total mismatch. I think by the end of the season it will be Rose Butler Mirotic Gasol and Noah. It gives the Bulls more length to defend Lebron and better spacing than what Taj gives because LBJ can't play centerfield with a shooter like Mirotic on the floor.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF... Did you see what Kyrie was doing to Brooks??? Thats a total mismatch. I think by the end of the season it will be Rose Butler Mirotic Gasol and Noah. It gives the Bulls more length to defend Lebron and better spacing than what Taj gives because LBJ can't play centerfield with a shooter like Mirotic on the floor.

Yeah, it's a mismatch but it's give and take. Give some defense and take some offense with two creators. If the Bulls use a wing combo of McBuckets and Butler then I'm pretty sure Waiters is going to exploit McBuckets anyway. Maybe the Bulls are better off with two guys who can slash and dribble with worse-off defense.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Eh...he played Snell more minutes tonight than McDermott. Yes, part of it was out of necessity, but he could've easily played Hinrich more minutes instead of Snell. I highly doubt anyone considers Snell more deserving of minutes than McDermott. Mirotic has a ton of potential and may end up the better player down the line, but he will go stretches where he looks completely lost. Again, in terms of contributions right now, McDermott I feel still has the lead there.

Also, Steph Curry is one of the best players in the league imo (offensively anyway) so having McDermott look like any kind of version of him is a pretty good compliment lol.
I love Steph Curry, and I think McD has the same kind of quick release and ability to shoot coming off screens or falling away at odd angles that Steph has, so I intended it to be a compliment. McD is still only shooting 37% however so thats where the comparison ends. Snell looked better in summer league, plays better defense, has shot the 3 just as well as McD and he's more athletic driving to the basket and finishing than McD. If I were Thibs and saw how hard Snell has worked I would have given him more time to build some confidence this preseason instead of giving him so few minutes in comparison to a rookie. They gave Snell more minutes this game because he's the closet thing to Jimmy Butler on the team but if Jimmy wasn't injured McD gets +20mins and Snell gets <10min.

Mirotic's size/speed/ball handling and defense makes him look like a lottery pick and could easily be equivalent to the player that MDJ is, so I want to see him on the floor with Gasol, Rose, Butler, and Noah.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Yeah, it's a mismatch but it's give and take. Give some defense and take some offense with two creators. If the Bulls use a wing combo of McBuckets and Butler then I'm pretty sure Waiters is going to exploit McBuckets anyway. Maybe the Bulls are better off with two guys who can slash and dribble with worse-off defense.
IDK man Irving is too good for Brooks, if anything I'd rather let Brooks play Waiters who is not as talented and not a good playmaker even though he would have a bigger size advantage. They already have the advantage with LBJ vs anybody, you can't give them another easy option with Kyrie vs Brooks IMO.

nobull

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If you notice the defensive pressure that McDermott is getting, it's not that hard to see why he's not exactly tearing up preseason. Snell has guys playing off of him. McDermott has a body in his shirt all the time. He's got work to do, but the defensive attention McDermott is getting is worth noting. If you're someone who wants to talk about floor spacing, having McDermott's defender glued to him helps out spacing.

What a load of crap. McDermott is missing make able shots.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a load of crap. McDermott is missing make able shots.
All I'm saying is that it's not like every shot McDermott takes is wide open. He should be making more shots...the whole team should be making more shots.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love Steph Curry, and I think McD has the same kind of quick release and ability to shoot coming off screens or falling away at odd angles that Steph has, so I intended it to be a compliment. McD is still only shooting 37% however so thats where the comparison ends. Snell looked better in summer league, plays better defense, has shot the 3 just as well as McD and he's more athletic driving to the basket and finishing than McD. If I were Thibs and saw how hard Snell has worked I would have given him more time to build some confidence this preseason instead of giving him so few minutes in comparison to a rookie. They gave Snell more minutes this game because he's the closet thing to Jimmy Butler on the team but if Jimmy wasn't injured McD gets +20mins and Snell gets <10min.
Idk...I don't think Snell's play has been all that impressive. You keep bringing up McDermott's shooting percentage, but it's not like Snell is doing any better than he is. I think he's actually doing worse. I don't think he outplayed McDermott in summer league either. The one game McDermott sat out in summer league, Snell struggled to carry the team. If you're going to say McDermott isn't ready to contribute, you'd have to say the same for Snell because he hasn't done anything McDermott hasn't and he's probably done worse.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
The only preseason takeaway that really matters, summed up in two words: He's Baaaaaaack....... :bullbang:

[video=youtube;4Xiwv3c5Rl4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xiwv3c5Rl4[/video]

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jimmy Butler may be the second most valuable player on this team.

The perimeter defense has been flat out bad without him. And the offense has taken a step back.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:

The perimeter defense has been flat out bad without him. And the offense has taken a step back.

our best perimeter defender is a very declined Kirk Hinrich so thats not a surprise to me

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Well it's basically up to him and Hinrich to hold up guarding the other team's best perimeter defender. I think we all know who we want out of those two. Jimmy's basically the Luol Deng of this team. He's the glue that holds the starters and the bench together.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just hope that Bulls fans are not expecting a lot of great production from McDermott and Mirotic for awhile. From reading on this board, I see guys who think that Mcdermott should start. He won't. He isn't ready to start. Neither is Mirotic. I think that this team is going to struggle quite a bit in the first 3rd of the year at least. I can see them reasonably finishing 3rd in the eastern conference. Rose is going to have problems. They do not have a viable second scorer. They really do not a good group of guards. That is reality.

So, I'd recommend that Bulls fans lower their expectations and hopefully by the end of the regular season they will put things together and make a run. Right now, though, they are not an elite team. Lots of potential with the young players but nothing proven there.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just hope that Bulls fans are not expecting a lot of great production from McDermott and Mirotic for awhile. From reading on this board, I see guys who think that Mcdermott should start. He won't. He isn't ready to start. Neither is Mirotic. I think that this team is going to struggle quite a bit in the first 3rd of the year at least. I can see them reasonably finishing 3rd in the eastern conference. Rose is going to have problems. They do not have a viable second scorer. They really do not a good group of guards. That is reality.

So, I'd recommend that Bulls fans lower their expectations and hopefully by the end of the regular season they will put things together and make a run. Right now, though, they are not an elite team. Lots of potential with the young players but nothing proven there.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Haters gonna hate. I still think Dougie McBuckets will have a good season

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Haters gonna hate. I still think Dougie McBuckets will have a good season

Hater? I guess that is directed at me. He is a rookie. To expect a rookie to excel his first year in the NBA is pretty far fetched. I think that a successful rookie year for McDermott would be somewhere around 8-9 points a game. That would be a good season.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McBuckets is already a helpful offensive player. The moment you take a body off of him, he is getting points in all likelihood. He's already making somewhat of an impact and he's going to get better for sure. Not going to be the greatest player ever but he'll help this season.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
has anybody gave up on Snell yet?

i dont think hes gonna cut it...im not seeing any improvements from last year

its got to the point where everytime he touches the ball i expect a blooper