Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I actually missed the Hawks game as I was out playing real basketball...

Takeaways: Butler played like a boss. Please continue for whole season. Kthxbai

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I actually missed the Hawks game as I was out playing real basketball...

Takeaways: Butler played like a boss. Please continue for whole season. Kthxbai
If Butler played like this coupled with Rose, Rose would definitely feel like he doesn't have to do as much. That would in my opinion allow him to flourish in the 4th Q of games.

I still think a lot of that is dreaming though.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Butler played like this coupled with Rose, Rose would definitely feel like he doesn't have to do as much. That would in my opinion allow him to flourish in the 4th Q of games.

I still think a lot of that is dreaming though.
We can dream...

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Butler was taking it to the rim like prime Maggette. When that boy has his confidence, he can play out of his league.

DirtyDutchDiggler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. LA Galaxy
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Miami Dolphins
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Miami Hurricanes
Butler was taking it to the rim like prime Maggette. When that boy has his confidence, he can play out of his league.

Not only that, not sure if anyone noticed, he finally made an effort to put arc in his shot. Even his missed jump shots look much better. Another thing I took away from him was the first time I have seen him really have that "Killer Instinct" look about him. That look said, "Give me the ball and get the hell out of the way cause you may slow me down but your not stopping me." When in the past to try and guess what his ceiling could be, what we saw last night is it. Can he do that night in and night out or with Rose on the Floor at the same time? Not sure but if Derrick could bow a little to let that happen they litterally could become the best back court in the league.

On a side note, if we could get this from Butler on a consistant basis, maybe Hawk can stop complaining about SG's.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Maybe Butler can teach Rose and Hinrich to get more arc into their shots too :elephant:

ChettheJet

Liked Posts:
It's mostly media talk about McDermott starting over Dunleavy. In the end to me what really matters is who plays more minutes and closes out the game. If they do decide to start McDermott it could be as much about steadying the second unit as much as who is better and starting. It might be that Hinrich, Gibson and Brooks/Snell would mesh better with Dunleavy coming off the bench than McDermott. It could be Thibs wouldn't want to have Snell and McDermott on the floor together. While McDermott as a starter would have Noah and Gasol on the front line looking for him. It is early and we'll see how it goes.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not only that, not sure if anyone noticed, he finally made an effort to put arc in his shot. Even his missed jump shots look much better. Another thing I took away from him was the first time I have seen him really have that "Killer Instinct" look about him. That look said, "Give me the ball and get the hell out of the way cause you may slow me down but your not stopping me." When in the past to try and guess what his ceiling could be, what we saw last night is it. Can he do that night in and night out or with Rose on the Floor at the same time? Not sure but if Derrick could bow a little to let that happen they litterally could become the best back court in the league.

On a side note, if we could get this from Butler on a consistant basis, maybe Hawk can stop complaining about SG's.

No question about it:)

RoseMVP1

Liked Posts:
I'm a little late to the party since I haven't had cpu access, but here's my takeaways from these few pre season games:

-Rose will be just fine. His shot will start to fall as the season wears on.

-Gasol will have more of an impact on defense than most on this board thought. I think we all knew he'd be an upgrade defensively over Boozer, but not to this extent. He's been very stout so far on that side of the ball.

-McDermott is the real deal and will prove to be one of the better players to come out of this draft class. Once he settles in and has gotten minutes under his belt, he'll prove to be a pretty good Bull for a long time.

-Mirotic is better than I realized, though you can tell he has the jitters. cjswan posted back that he can be a star and I totally agree. His ball handling is a lot better than I expected and once he settles in, I think we will see more performances like the one he put on in Washington.

-Jimmy Butler has been my 2nd favorite player, behind Rose, since his 2nd season in the league so I'm ecstatic to see this offensive burst so far. If he can maintain that offense or close to it throughout the season, he'll make the all-nba team. I don't expect him to keep that level of play up but I think he'll be quite a bit better on that side of the ball this year just from the pieces we've added. Defensively, I don't need to say much. He's the 2nd best wing defender in my mind only behind LeBron.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Imo Rip was always decent with us, he was just never on the court

he had a fews games here and there

i blame him for that game 5 loss to Miami....i really think his face pissed Wade off and thats why went off

he hates Rip Hamilton

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the end of the day, the Bulls are still missing one piece that stands between them and elite status: a secondary creator to put next to Derrick Rose. I don't think realistically the Bulls will win the championship this year with either Dunleavy or a rookie (McDermott) in the first unit. With that said, the East is weak enough for the Bulls to get to the Finals. Just don't see them beating whoever comes out of the West, realistically.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
So after 7 games, McDermott is shooting 37% from the field, 33% from three point range and still playing 27 minutes a game. He obviously isn't ready to be a real contributor to the team and shouldn't be playing more minutes than Mirotic or Snell. I hope Thibs makes some minute adjustments because Mirotic and Snell should be getting more of the minutes they are forcing to DMc.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Derrick looked spectacular against the Cavs, while everybody else on the Bulls looked terrible. Thibs needs to give his bench players a chance to build some confidence going into the season because other than Hinrich and Brooks, the rest of the bench has been really shaky.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So after 7 games, McDermott is shooting 37% from the field, 33% from three point range and still playing 27 minutes a game. He obviously isn't ready to be a real contributor to the team and shouldn't be playing more minutes than Mirotic or Snell. I hope Thibs makes some minute adjustments because Mirotic and Snell should be getting more of the minutes they are forcing to DMc.
If you notice the defensive pressure that McDermott is getting, it's not that hard to see why he's not exactly tearing up preseason. Snell has guys playing off of him. McDermott has a body in his shirt all the time. He's got work to do, but the defensive attention McDermott is getting is worth noting. If you're someone who wants to talk about floor spacing, having McDermott's defender glued to him helps out spacing.

Xplosive

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
If you notice the defensive pressure that McDermott is getting, it's not that hard to see why he's not exactly tearing up preseason. Snell has guys playing off of him. McDermott has a body in his shirt all the time. He's got work to do, but the defensive attention McDermott is getting is worth noting. If you're someone who wants to talk about floor spacing, having McDermott's defender glued to him helps out spacing.
Spacing is important when he's on the floor with Brooks because Brooks can create his own shot, but for the most part the Bulls need someone who can create his own shot not space for others. I feel the best thing he's done is get to the foul line consistently which is more valuable imo. It really looks like Mirotic has much more upside as a scorer and defender so Thibs needs to get that guy going not force minutes to a kid that isn't ready to contribute.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I completely disagree. McDermott is already better than Snell and he serves a greater need than Snell for the team. And why would McDermott's minutes effect Mirotic's?

McDermott should be playing as many minutes as possible in these pre-season games where the outcome doesn't matter.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Spacing is important when he's on the floor with Brooks because Brooks can create his own shot, but for the most part the Bulls need someone who can create his own shot not space for others. I feel the best thing he's done is get to the foul line consistently which is more valuable imo. It really looks like Mirotic has much more upside as a scorer and defender so Thibs needs to get that guy going not force minutes to a kid that isn't ready to contribute.
Eh...I'm still drinking the McDermott kool aid. I think he'll be fine. He's got the ability to contribute offensively in a huge way with shooting 3s, getting to the line, and even making space for others. If he's playing at the same time as Rose, that's huge because that's one less guy helping on a Rose drive. The percentages will come as we get into the regular season. It's not like Rose was lighting it up from the field before tonight's game. Heck, Brooks wasn't even shooting that great either. Dunleavy was shooting 55% from 3 before tonight...probably not going to carry over either. How they look is more important than the numbers you see in the box score when it comes to preseason.

RamiTheBullsFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I'm as high on Brooks as I am McBuckets. If offense is the concern, the Bulls' best line-up might be Brooks-Rose-Butler-Taj-Gasol to end games. Rose guarding Waiters; Brooks on Irving; Butler on James; Gasol bodying Varejao and defending the rim; Taj (or Noah) defending Love and the pick-and-roll game. You have Rose and Brooks who can create their own shot and for others off the dribble. And you have Gasol who you can throw it to (and you can't foul) who can back you down for his own shot in the post.