Why did the Chicago Blackhawks sign Daniel Carcillo?

Don't Toews Me Bro

Liked Posts:
Carcillo is a slightly more athletic Bollig. I don't expect Gorilla Salad to play top 6, but anybody is an improvement from enforcers of Hawks recent past(John Scott, Bollig). I expect Carcillo and Versteeg to cool off and Shaw/Saad pick up where they left off. Hopefully the Hawks' recent streak reassures Stan and the boys to take Sharps next contract with a grain of salt.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Carcillo is a slightly more athletic Bollig. I don't expect Gorilla Salad to play top 6, but anybody is an improvement from enforcers of Hawks recent past(John Scott, Bollig). I expect Carcillo and Versteeg to cool off and Shaw/Saad pick up where they left off. Hopefully the Hawks' recent streak reassures Stan and the boys to take Sharps next contract with a grain of salt.

Sharp's current deal runs through the 16-17 season. He won't get another deal in Chicago and I highly doubt he'll even make it to the end of that one while still in Chicago.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sharp's current deal runs through the 16-17 season. He won't get another deal in Chicago and I highly doubt he'll even make it to the end of that one while still in Chicago.
Ima miss da Sharpie :(

But he's up there in age so it would only be a matter of time regardless.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Ima miss da Sharpie :(

But he's up there in age so it would only be a matter of time regardless.

I can't believe this is his TENTH year with the team. Longest tenured player on the squad along with Keith and Seabrook.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can't believe this is his TENTH year with the team. Longest tenured player on the squad along with Keith and Seabrook.
Wow...didn't know it was that long. He's kinda like the Paul Pierce of this Blackhawks team.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is 4th team in the last 3 years. I've got a hard time believing he's suddenly going to stick in Chicago. At this point, I don't see any major career renaissance forthcoming.

As a player, I think Carcillo is damn good and fills a need. I love the guy when he is on the ice playing hockey. He's tough and they needed some toughness to hang with the hockey bully teams. I also think that the Hawks have a lot of leadership both on and off of the ice to tone him down from the stupid stuff.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
He is, I agree. It's also about fucking time.

Agreed completely, but I think finally pairing him with Kane is a large part of that. Some players can elevate their linemates to another level. Some need linemates to help them reach that level. Perhaps Richards is the latter and Kane is the former. Whatever it is, it's working pretty damn well.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like when both shaw and Carc are on the ice together.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Carcillo is what Q wanted Bollig to be. A gritty 4th liner with a little bit of speed and skill...something Bollig will NEVER be.

While I regrettably agree that he is probably on his last year here. I'll never forget that Sharp made Tallon look like a genius in that trade with Philly. Almost made me forget the Phil Esposito fiasco in the sixties.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Carcillo is what Q wanted Bollig to be. A gritty 4th liner with a little bit of speed and skill...something Bollig will NEVER be.

While I regrettably agree that he is probably on his last year here. I'll never forget that Sharp made Tallon look like a genius in that trade with Philly. Almost made me forget the Phil Esposito fiasco in the sixties.

That trade remains one of the biggest steals of the last 15-20 years.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I remember watching some of the Rangers in the playoffs early, and Carcillo line was always full of energy, and at times seemed to look like the only line that was playing hard. Thought if he could play up somewhat at that level for us, it would be a positive for us. Love what the 29-65-13 line are bringing right now.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
This may have been stated already, but he's an excellent penalty-killer, which is why I believe Q keeps him around. He's also pretty good at getting under opposing players skin, not unlike Andy Shaw.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is, I agree. It's also about fucking time.

richards has been playing like a 2c since sharp went down. he has kane and a healthy versteeg. he sets it up nicely.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't forget about Steeger now... He figures greatly in their recent success.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol @ people that thought Morin was a better option than Carcillo.

Not people here, specifically. Just in general.

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:

How did I know I'd see you in this thread? ;)

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:

At the start of the season I was definitely one of those people. Carcillo's track record in Chicago wasn't anything special.