Why did the Chicago Blackhawks sign Daniel Carcillo?

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
There is plenty of good and bad with Carcillo. There is a reason he has played top 6 roles with several teams (Hawks, Philly, NYR) at times...and several reasons why he has fallen out of favor with those teams as well. There have been players who have turned it around and stopped the stupid stuff...but there are plenty more who haven't. I do think Carcillo is an all around better hockey player than people give him credit for, which I understand because most people look at the stupidity that he can bring. His contract is a must for the Blackhawks and I'm not concerned about him taking time away from guys. Morin still has a lot to prove and I have soured on him a bit...he takes way too many shifts off, is a defensive liability, and still is a touch slow out of the gate. Mashinter is basically a Carcillo with less skill/skating and more fighting.

It is an interesting move, but it could pay off. Biggest thing will be Carcillo knowing when to play his role and when not to. Know when it is okay to send a message and when it is okay to play hockey. Who knows if he can, but if he does, he can be beneficial to the team.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
As far as goons go, Carcillo can actually play; as he said, the guys that can't actually skate or play hockey are going out of style. He at least did, have the skill to be one who can play when he isn't in full idiot mode. It seemed unlikely in all possibility but that Carcillo-Kane-Hossa line early in 2011 was a quality line where Carcillo brought his game across.

I've never quite got how people only equate the fighting/wining fights and enforcing as something significant. But I think there's not much wrong with Carcillo in a energy/grind/defensive role...

as for Morin, I think people still have way to much hype for him that I've seen deserving lately. And I wouldn't want Morin used on the Hawks 4th line anyway. I think he could play a normal 4th line role, but Q's Kruger-Smith 4th line is a defensive faceoff line. Morin should never be held to that, he was only able to do some good things offensively last year as he lead the team in Offensive zone starting area, surprising even a bit higher than Kane on in that matt. I'd rather just keep him on a 3rd line which is more a 3rd scoring line than any type of defensive matchup.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Because Q loves to piss off the bloggers.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
There is plenty of good and bad with Carcillo. There is a reason he has played top 6 roles with several teams (Hawks, Philly, NYR) at times...and several reasons why he has fallen out of favor with those teams as well. There have been players who have turned it around and stopped the stupid stuff...but there are plenty more who haven't. I do think Carcillo is an all around better hockey player than people give him credit for, which I understand because most people look at the stupidity that he can bring. His contract is a must for the Blackhawks and I'm not concerned about him taking time away from guys. Morin still has a lot to prove and I have soured on him a bit...he takes way too many shifts off, is a defensive liability, and still is a touch slow out of the gate. Mashinter is basically a Carcillo with less skill/skating and more fighting.

It is an interesting move, but it could pay off. Biggest thing will be Carcillo knowing when to play his role and when not to. Know when it is okay to send a message and when it is okay to play hockey. Who knows if he can, but if he does, he can be beneficial to the team.

This is 4th team in the last 3 years. I've got a hard time believing he's suddenly going to stick in Chicago. At this point, I don't see any major career renaissance forthcoming.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sometimes it seems like the Hawks front office is intentionally trolling that crowd with their moves. Just so many coincidences.

Lol I think they need to have someone that pisses fans off.... just a staple of the Hawks org now.

:hawkstroll:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
As far as goons go, Carcillo can actually play; as he said, the guys that can't actually skate or play hockey are going out of style. He at least did, have the skill to be one who can play when he isn't in full idiot mode. It seemed unlikely in all possibility but that Carcillo-Kane-Hossa line early in 2011 was a quality line where Carcillo brought his game across.

I've never quite got how people only equate the fighting/wining fights and enforcing as something significant. But I think there's not much wrong with Carcillo in a energy/grind/defensive role...

as for Morin, I think people still have way to much hype for him that I've seen deserving lately. And I wouldn't want Morin used on the Hawks 4th line anyway. I think he could play a normal 4th line role, but Q's Kruger-Smith 4th line is a defensive faceoff line. Morin should never be held to that, he was only able to do some good things offensively last year as he lead the team in Offensive zone starting area, surprising even a bit higher than Kane on in that matt. I'd rather just keep him on a 3rd line which is more a 3rd scoring line than any type of defensive matchup.

good read.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Sometimes it seems like the Hawks front office is intentionally trolling that crowd with their moves. Just so many coincidences.

Stan literally did this the past few days leading to the Cap compliant deadline. He could of told the media/blogosphere the REASON that was obvious nobody else knew to why they were cap compliant. No, he just said, hey the league says we're good. It still took a day or two after his comments for the media to finally figure out the Coyotes are paying a quarter of Runblad's salary.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stan literally did this the past few days leading to the Cap compliant deadline. He could of told the media/blogosphere the REASON that was obvious nobody else knew to why they were cap compliant. No, he just said, hey the league says we're good. It still took a day or two after his comments for the media to finally figure out the Coyotes are paying a quarter of Runblad's salary.

That's some poor "digging," isn't it? Chicago deserves a better class of reporter.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carrillo has been better than Richards thus far. [emoji15]

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
sample size

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

I don't disagree, which is why I wrote "thus far;" however, consider the statement with contextual expectations thus far.

He's also drawn more penalties than he's taken.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They really didn't have many protectors out there last year. Something tells me that the Kings and the Hawks are going to meet again and they could use some muscle out there.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I like Carcillo. For a grinder/agitator he has some skill and plays hard every shift. Rather have him than Bollig.

He's certainly a better hockey player than Bollig. No doubts there.

If he plays like he did against Buffalo, he'll be a steal at $550k. Consider me thoroughly unconvinced this far, however.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Carcillo will have his few good games then revert back to being a true idiot that he is.