Why did the Chicago Blackhawks sign Daniel Carcillo?

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Drouin isn't playing 4th line minutes. He's seeing upwards to 15 minutes a night and playing on one of the PP units.

Here's what you are missing, it wasn't bad personnel moves with Pirri and Morin. It was they didn't fit in that role of a 4th liner. Both of them were one dimensional players and didn't fit the role of a bottom line player. If the Hawks could have, they would have sent Morin to the AHL all season because of that. Pirri sounds like he had locker room issues, so that's why he got shipped as well as not being defensively responsible.

Q has always liked to have a guy on the 4th line who brings grit, energy, willing to be a physical presence and someone who will drop the gloves when needed. To be honest, I'd rather have Carcillo then Bollig because despite what some will say, Carcillo has a bit of skill and can take a shift in your top 9. Shit, he's pretty much playing the same role Eager played when we won the cup. Not much of a difference between the two, yet Q still rolls 4 full lines and we continue to win.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Pirri would of been in the same situation Morin was this year, it was just wise proactive moving to see that. Morin with his physical nature that was always noted about him early one made it seem he could play on a 4th line. If it wasn't the Kruger line which is more of a checking 3rd than a 4th line anyway he might of done something. Or if Morin-Bickell could of been a combo to do anything it might of helped but Morin was stuck playing with him at an off-point of the season for Bicks.

Morin would of played fine on a 4th line like the Hawks were running before Kruger. One of the best 4th lines for half a season even on the team was Stal-Dowell-Skille because it was just an energy fast line. Morin doesn't fit anymore because he got stunted as a player and never really had an all around game. That's just not the case when you have depth and D thinking forwards that fit the bill. As the future likely holds for that format with Joakim and Danault types becoming regulars in the future.

Variable

Liked Posts:
Drouin isn't playing 4th line minutes. He's seeing upwards to 15 minutes a night and playing on one of the PP units.

Here's what you are missing, it wasn't bad personnel moves with Pirri and Morin. It was they didn't fit in that role of a 4th liner. Both of them were one dimensional players and didn't fit the role of a bottom line player. If the Hawks could have, they would have sent Morin to the AHL all season because of that. Pirri sounds like he had locker room issues, so that's why he got shipped as well as not being defensively responsible.

Q has always liked to have a guy on the 4th line who brings grit, energy, willing to be a physical presence and someone who will drop the gloves when needed. To be honest, I'd rather have Carcillo then Bollig because despite what some will say, Carcillo has a bit of skill and can take a shift in your top 9. Shit, he's pretty much playing the same role Eager played when we won the cup. Not much of a difference between the two, yet Q still rolls 4 full lines and we continue to win.

With the hopefully continued emergence of Teuvo they can now roll four lines. Especially when Versteeg returns and hopefully the correct roster decisions are made when that happens, because Shaw is not a center and Carcillo is too much of a wild card to have. Its not worth having a guy that, from game to game, you won't be sure if you can play him ten minutes or three because of how he's acting. You're stuck essentially in the same spot as you were with Bollig. Cant trust either of them.

Again, and I don't understand how people forget this, when the Hawks went up against the big bad Bruins they dressed a "soft" fourth line of Frolik, Kruger and Bolland. I wouldn't see much difference from that in a potential line of Shaw, Kruger and Smith once Versteeg comes back.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Pirri would of been in the same situation Morin was this year, it was just wise proactive moving to see that. Morin with his physical nature that was always noted about him early one made it seem he could play on a 4th line. If it wasn't the Kruger line which is more of a checking 3rd than a 4th line anyway he might of done something. Or if Morin-Bickell could of been a combo to do anything it might of helped but Morin was stuck playing with him at an off-point of the season for Bicks.

Morin would of played fine on a 4th line like the Hawks were running before Kruger. One of the best 4th lines for half a season even on the team was Stal-Dowell-Skille because it was just an energy fast line. Morin doesn't fit anymore because he got stunted as a player and never really had an all around game. That's just not the case when you have depth and D thinking forwards that fit the bill. As the future likely holds for that format with Joakim and Danault types becoming regulars in the future.

Morin just didn't have the defensive commitment to play on the 4th line. I do agree he might have been better off as a 3rd line forward, but he didn't impress and his time ran out. We needed a cheap alternative to the injured TVR and Erixon was that.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

eek.gif

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
With the hopefully continued emergence of Teuvo they can now roll four lines. Especially when Versteeg returns and hopefully the correct roster decisions are made when that happens, because Shaw is not a center and Carcillo is too much of a wild card to have. Its not worth having a guy that, from game to game, you won't be sure if you can play him ten minutes or three because of how he's acting. You're stuck essentially in the same spot as you were with Bollig. Cant trust either of them.

Again, and I don't understand how people forget this, when the Hawks went up against the big bad Bruins they dressed a "soft" fourth line of Frolik, Kruger and Bolland. I wouldn't see much difference from that in a potential line of Shaw, Kruger and Smith once Versteeg comes back.

The "4th line" actually was played as our 3rd line as Frolik, Kruger and Bolland ended up playing more than Shaw and Stalberg, though if you take out PK time, we didn't even have a 4th line as 5 of them played about 10 minutes of even strength each.

I'm not disagreeing about running 4 lines, but the Hawks have always done that even with Bollig, Carcillo and Eager. Only difference is Eager played in the deciding game while Bollig was in the press box. I just don't believe your 12th forward is what decides games, especially with how few amount of minutes they play. Shit, LA won with Kyle Clifford as their 12 forward who barely played 10 minutes a night. He plays the same roll as Carcillo, just doesn't go over the line as much.

So far this season the Hawks record with Carcillo in the line up is 22 wins and 9 losses. Sounds like he's a real hinderance to the team.

Variable

Liked Posts:
When Eager gets as many fines and/or suspensions as Carcillo has, then you can start comparing them. As it is, they aren't the same. There aren't a whole lot of players like Carcillo. Ive never said the 12th forward determine s games, but being able to run four effective lines does. Like I said, we'll see what happens with the lines when Versteeg gets back and in the playoffs. We'll see if Q learned from last year. He'll have a better opportunity to run four lines this time around, barring injuries of course.

And it wasn't just Bollig that sat out the "deciding game" making it sound like he was some sort of factor throughout the playoffs, he only played in 5 games that entire postseason when they won their second Cup. Q mostly went with skill over dressing a guy like Bollig. And it paid off, big time.

In comparison, Eager played in 18 games. And you can dress a player like Eager to play that many games and average less than 10 minutes per game when you're dressing a guy like Andrew Ladd on your third line most of the time. You have that luxury when you have a team as stacked as that Hawks team was.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
When Eager gets as many fines and/or suspensions as Carcillo has, then you can start comparing them. As it is, they aren't the same. There aren't a whole lot of players like Carcillo. Ive never said the 12th forward determine s games, but being able to run four effective lines does. Like I said, we'll see what happens with the lines when Versteeg gets back and in the playoffs. We'll see if Q learned from last year. He'll have a better opportunity to run four lines this time around, barring injuries of course.

And it wasn't just Bollig that sat out the "deciding game" making it sound like he was some sort of factor throughout the playoffs, he only played in 5 games that entire postseason when they won their second Cup. Q mostly went with skill over dressing a guy like Bollig. And it paid off, big time.

In comparison, Eager played in 18 games. And you can dress a player like Eager to play that many games and average less than 10 minutes per game when you're dressing a guy like Andrew Ladd on your third line most of the time. You have that luxury when you have a team as stacked as that Hawks team was.

Then what the hell are you complaining about?

Carcillo is a 4th line grinder. Eager was a 4th line grinder. The difference is Eager didn't get in as much suspension trouble. Outside of that they are the exact same player and played the exact same role, though one could say Eager fought more (which is a hinderance in your views).

Come playoffs Q will play the best 12 forwards he thinks is right on any given night. With the influx of forward depth we have, and basically no salary cap in the playoffs, Carcillo probably won't play, which is fine with me. Till then, you have to play with what you have and what you can make fit under the cap.

Variable

Liked Posts:
The Hawks didn't have that luxury last year and Q's insistence in wanting to do things like dress Bollig and have him play (horribly) for his 6 or 7 minutes a game and Versteeg when it was obvious he shouldn't be out there are a part of the reason they would end up losing to the Kings. You can't depend on one line and think that'll be enough, and even with those missteps by Q they still nearly did it, which is just a testament to the talent of that line and what they did during that series.

What Q thought was right was the problem. I don't understand how he went from winning the Cup dressing the type of players and lines he did back then to what happened last year in the playoffs. I don't understand how you go backwards in thinking in that way after seeing what it did for you. Like I said, we'll see if he learned from that mistake. Barring injuries, he'll once again have the resources dress 4 good lines.

But you can't compare the teams Carcillo and Eager were on, that's why this isn't the same. Their fourth line back then isn't what their "fourth line" now is in the last few years, that's changed. And Eager isn't the same type of player because he doesn't have a career's worth of history of looking to hurt other players. I'd be fine with Nordstrom dressing over Carcillo for the remainder of the year if they needed someone, that's not breaking the cap. And I don't even know what Nordstrom does particularly well but Carcillo doesn't deserve that spot anymore.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Seriously, this is still going on?

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
you keep saying when Versteeg comes back and Teuvo playing well, there is no room for Carcillo.

Once again, I have to ask. Do you really want Teuvo playing 6 minutes a night on the fourth fucking line? Or send him to Rockford to continue to develop?

Variable

Liked Posts:
They would have a lot of options but Teuvo on the fourth line playing six minutes (which not even Carcillo averages) wouldn't be one of them. Like I had mentioned before, I see some similarity in a "fourth line" of Shaw, Kruger and Smith to what they had a few years ago when they ended up with Kruger, Bolland and Frolik.

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
Perhaps some of that 3rd\4th line time is being utilized for development of his transition to the NA game and to add a stronger defensive skill set. All with eyes on the future in the NHL for this kid.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Perhaps some of that 3rd\4th line time is being utilized for development of his transition to the NA game and to add a stronger defensive skill set. All with eyes on the future in the NHL for this kid.

I'd rather him do that in Rockford while playing 1st line minutes and on the PP. Unless he's playing a regular shift consistently, don't waste his time here. Last thing you want to do is stunt his offensive development and game by having him focus solely on defense. That's exactly what happened with Kruger and while Kruger is an effective 4th liner and PKer, Teuvo has the potential to be a top line player.

biscuit_in_the_basket

Gigacore Fan!
Liked Posts:
I'd rather him do that in Rockford while playing 1st line minutes and on the PP. Unless he's playing a regular shift consistently, don't waste his time here. Last thing you want to do is stunt his offensive development and game by having him focus solely on defense. That's exactly what happened with Kruger and while Kruger is an effective 4th liner and PKer, Teuvo has the potential to be a top line player.

I would agree, but I wonder if they are maybe looking to give him some time against "checkers" for the NHL level experience since there is a bit of a glut at forward. Or maybe looking at his offensive prowess to see if he can raise those lines a bit.

This is all speculation, of course, but I think we will see over the next several games.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
I would agree, but I wonder if they are maybe looking to give him some time against "checkers" for the NHL level experience since there is a bit of a glut at forward. Or maybe looking at his offensive prowess to see if he can raise those lines a bit.

This is all speculation, of course, but I think we will see over the next several games.

Very possible they are trying to shelter him, though I would assume the oppositions checking line would be up against Toews or Kane, though many NHL teams have been going with power against power so he may still see those checkers.

My biggest fear for any young offensively skilled prospect is they get drained by playing defensive roles so early they don't continue to develop their offensive skills. Grant it some guys it doesn't hamper, others they end up not living up to their potential. With a player who is highly skilled like Teuvo, you just want to make sure you don't gag him with defense especially at the NHL level when he could be working on that at the AHL level with less pressure on him and develop at his own pace.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
if they were trying to "shelter" him, they would keep him in Finland, and not the AHL which is more of a physical league than the NHL.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol Pez thinks he can beat Carcillo in a fight? ??

Bwahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I read that Rinaldo could be suspended anywhere from 6 to 10 games. After his comments, I expect him to get 10. What an idiot!

8, but I bet it would've only been 6 if he had kept his yap shut after the game.