CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Instead of clogging up other threads about the prospects and trades that aren't going to happen, based upon empirical evidence and not opinion, I thought we could have a fun thread where those ideas about trading Russell or Baez or E-Jax for someone else or others could be entertaining.

I'll go first. E-Jax for BJ Upton straight up. Tell me why it can't happen and what would be so bad about getting a veteran OF with pop in his bat in this lineup?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Instead of clogging up other threads about the prospects and trades that aren't going to happen, based upon empirical evidence and not opinion, I thought we could have a fun thread where those ideas about trading Russell or Baez or E-Jax for someone else or others could be entertaining.

I'll go first. E-Jax for BJ Upton straight up. Tell me why it can't happen and what would be so bad about getting a veteran OF with pop in his bat in this lineup?

Nothing bad about it, but I think there's a better chance that Upton can become someone in 2015 or 2016 and make him tradeable than Jackson being anything but a cancer.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

The money is more for BJ and he sucks as well. He would be a 4 or 5th OF tops.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The money is more for BJ and he sucks as well. He would be a 4 or 5th OF tops.
That's really a shame. I saw him in AAA in Durham and thought he would be pretty good.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
BJ Upton is owed $24 M more than Jackson and has an extra year on his deal. If the Braves threw in money to sweeten the deal then I would say yes it could happen. Otherwise the Cubs would just be better off paying Jackson to go away, and DFA him. I think if the Cubs gave a team $18-20 M they could trade him. Jackson may be worth a 2-3 M flyer for a team looking for a #5 guy.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Na, puig has struggled lately. He done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
BJ Upton is owed $24 M more than Jackson and has an extra year on his deal. If the Braves threw in money to sweeten the deal then I would say yes it could happen. Otherwise the Cubs would just be better off paying Jackson to go away, and DFA him. I think if the Cubs gave a team $18-20 M they could trade him. Jackson may be worth a 2-3 M flyer for a team looking for a #5 guy.
Yeah...throw in gattis too

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I already threw one out --

Cole Hamels and Domonic Brown to the Cubs for Travis Wood, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, Duane Underwood and Paul Blackburn. This would be an extremely aggressive offer from the Cubs. The Phillies are in dire need of a rebuild and this would be a way to expedite the process. In the deal, they'd land a left handed arm with ML experience in Wood, a candidate that's coming off a bum year and a few more years of salary control. Vogelbach has a Billy Butler-type profile at the dish (and also with the fact he doesn't really have a position), while Underwood and Blackburn both have projectable deliveries and plenty of youth on their sides. To me, I look at the deal as a Wood for Brown swap, then the four prospects for Hamels. Personally, the Phillies may balk not getting a second elite prospect outside of Almora, so the Cubs could be pressured into sweetening the pot and replace Vogelbach with Pierce Johnson or remove two of the other three guys and throw somebody in like Schwarber.

Another one -- Edwin Jackson to the Dodgers for Andre Ethier. Ethier is owed $53.5 million over the next three years with a vesting option in '18 that has a $2 million buyout. With Josh Beckett retiring, Jackson gives the Dodgers a potential #5 starter/spot starter (what Jackson actually is) and since the Dodgers haven't shied away from spending huge dollars, paying Jackson wouldn't scare them, even if he's relegated to a spot-starter/long reliever. With Either, the Cubs land a guy with the versatility to play all three outfield spots and has shown to be a .275/.360 hitter with 20+ homer pop. With Soler and Alcantara figuring to have right and center locked down, Ethier could provide some lineup protection and solidify spots around Rizzo, Castro and Soler.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Trade away Starlin Castro because Javier Baez is the future so there is no reason to keep a 25 year old (he'll be 25 next year) 3 time all star. No reason to keep proven players on the team, trade all of them for prospects because we can see into the future.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I already threw one out --

Cole Hamels and Domonic Brown to the Cubs for Travis Wood, Albert Almora, Dan Vogelbach, Duane Underwood and Paul Blackburn. This would be an extremely aggressive offer from the Cubs. The Phillies are in dire need of a rebuild and this would be a way to expedite the process. In the deal, they'd land a left handed arm with ML experience in Wood, a candidate that's coming off a bum year and a few more years of salary control. Vogelbach has a Billy Butler-type profile at the dish (and also with the fact he doesn't really have a position), while Underwood and Blackburn both have projectable deliveries and plenty of youth on their sides. To me, I look at the deal as a Wood for Brown swap, then the four prospects for Hamels. Personally, the Phillies may balk not getting a second elite prospect outside of Almora, so the Cubs could be pressured into sweetening the pot and replace Vogelbach with Pierce Johnson or remove two of the other three guys and throw somebody in like Schwarber.

Another one -- Edwin Jackson to the Dodgers for Andre Ethier. Ethier is owed $53.5 million over the next three years with a vesting option in '18 that has a $2 million buyout. With Josh Beckett retiring, Jackson gives the Dodgers a potential #5 starter/spot starter (what Jackson actually is) and since the Dodgers haven't shied away from spending huge dollars, paying Jackson wouldn't scare them, even if he's relegated to a spot-starter/long reliever. With Either, the Cubs land a guy with the versatility to play all three outfield spots and has shown to be a .275/.360 hitter with 20+ homer pop. With Soler and Alcantara figuring to have right and center locked down, Ethier could provide some lineup protection and solidify spots around Rizzo, Castro and Soler.
Agressive for the Cubs but no where near the best offer they'd get

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
An offer for Cole? Baez, Alcantara to start. Toss in Johnson and McKenny and that is a good offer. Hamels is a top 5 pitcher in the league. Baez and Alcantara are replaceable and got their feet wet.

It would be a strong haul for the Phills. all the Cubs "have" to do would let Lake man CF for a few weeks with Coghlan in LF and Valbuena at 2B and Olt at 3B for 2 weeks. At that point Bryant promotes. They move Olt to LF and Cog to CF. Demote Lake. Later year they promote Russell and maybe Almora and trade out Cog and Valbuena. Now the next year Schwarber would be near ready with LF as a option.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:

EJax has 2 years remaining with less money than BJ with 3 years and more money. Upton sucks at the plate and his 'pop' hasn't been there since he was in Tampa Bay. Plus where do you play him with specs coming up/moving around?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Javier Baez, Pierce Johnson, and Dan Vogelbach for Michael Pineda of the Yankees. They go younger and could get a SS, a projected mid rotation starter, and a projected 1st basemen or DH for the future. I guess the same could be said for Cole Hamels and the Phillies.

The Yankees also have the funds to go out and get any big name starter to replace him if they need to, plus they still have Sabathia, and Tanaka at the top. Add a Scherzer to that which they could easily do and...........just sayin'.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On what planet are you living?

34.4 WAR total.

This year:
8.71 SO/9 2.59 BB/9 2.46 ERA 3.07 FIP 3.8 WAR
Career 3.27 ERA 3.48 FIP

His lowest career WAR season 2.4.

WAR values:
Kluber 7.3 (3.53 AVG)
Kershaw 7.2 (5.1 AVG)
King Felix 6.2 WAR (4.72 AVG)
Price 6.1 WAR (4.15 AVG)
Hughes 6.1 WAR (wow) (2.44 AVG)
Lester 6.1 WAR (4.425 avg)
Scherzer 5.6 WAR (3.85 avg)
Sale 5.4 WAR (3.42 avg)
Quintana 5.3 (3.56 AVG) (not enough data)
Zimmerman 5.2 (3.4 avg)
Arrieta 4.9
Wainwright 4.5 (4.09 avg)
Richards 4.3
Strasburg 4.3
Cueto 4.1 (2.42 avg)
Samardzija 4.1
Darvish 4.1 (avg 4.63) (not enough years IMO)
Bumgarner 3.6 WAR (avg 4.05)

Greinke: 3.9 WAR (4.58 AVG)
Hamels: 3.8 WAR (3.82 AVG)
Shields: 3.7 WAR (avg 3.51)

Top AVG's:
Kershaw: 5.1
King Felix 4.72
Greinke 4.58
Lester 4.42
Price 4.15
Wainwright 4.09
Bummgardner 4.05
Scherzer 3.85
Hamels 3.8

I stand corrected #9
But this actually pumps up Lester's value. #4 career. Even Cliff Lee has a 4.00 career avg going. Verlander: 5.25 but he took a nose dive. Was the top one but loss of velocity...Matt Cain 3.15 avg...

Honestly Hamels has been very good but his value is in his contract value right now and age. Lester could get 200 mil after looking over these factors and I doubt Theo and Jed will take a F/A past the age of 36.