Newer Blackhawk fan needs help!

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Is it "Taves" or "TAYS" ????

I don't want to say it wrong. Either way, how do you get THAT out of "TOEWS"??????

I've never heard anyone call him "Tows" FWIW.

PLEASE HELP ME I DON'T WANNA SOUND STUPID!

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
toews

It's toes... clearly just look at it.

It's Taves...or Tayvz according to proper sound chart, just call him Tazer also to avoid looking stupid then.

Names like that shift around from being older German/celtic names that transition through vowel shifts and spelling shifts over generations. Sound shifts of Vs and Ws is very frequent and common. You see that with words like vineo=wine and other cross language similarities.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

KingDarude7

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Newer Blackhawks fan? Welcome, to the dynasty we are in the middle of, your gonna love it.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This is what you get for enjoying a Canadian sport...I'd have to assume curling is even worse.

You should have been around 12+ years ago or so; I used to go to Hawks v Wings games just so I could see a real hockey team. It's fucking amazing actually having a great team again (been a fan back to the Roenick/Amonte/Chelios/Belfour days when we'd get owned by the Aves constantly and the Penguins decimated us in the Finals). Still pissed that we had two of the greatest goalies of my lifetime simultaneously and let them both go.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
This is what you get for enjoying a Canadian sport...I'd have to assume curling is even worse.

You should have been around 12+ years ago or so; I used to go to Hawks v Wings games just so I could see a real hockey team. It's fucking amazing actually having a great team again (been a fan back to the Roenick/Amonte/Chelios/Belfour days when we'd get owned by the Aves constantly and the Penguins decimated us in the Finals). Still pissed that we had two of the greatest goalies of my lifetime simultaneously and let them both go.

All through high school and the first few years of college, you could get seats in the 300 level for $8 if you showed a student ID.

Took advantage of that a bunch of times.

But, man, were the Blackhawks a shitty team back then. I'll take having to watch them on TV as an actual NHL-worthy team as a fair trade-off for no more $8 seats.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Is it "Taves" or "TAYS" ????

I don't want to say it wrong. Either way, how do you get THAT out of "TOEWS"??????

I've never heard anyone call him "Tows" FWIW.

PLEASE HELP ME I DON'T WANNA SOUND STUPID!

You tell me how Byfuglien is pronounced Buff-lin. There's at least 5 letters in that name for no real reason, apparently. And he's from Minnesota.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
You tell me how Byfuglien is pronounced Buff-lin. There's at least 5 letters in that name for no real reason, apparently. And he's from Minnesota.

I just saw some random youtube video from when he young on the Hawks mocking the pronunciation.

But I recall Dustin said his family ran a muffler shop, and they started pronouncing it Buff-lin Mufflers since it sounded better for Minnesotans. Otherwise yeah, its Norwegian or something Scandinavian and you actually pronounce all those random letters in some way.

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just saw some random youtube video from when he young on the Hawks mocking the pronunciation.

But I recall Dustin said his family ran a muffler shop, and they started pronouncing it Buff-lin Mufflers since it sounded better for Minnesotans. Otherwise yeah, its Norwegian or something Scandinavian and you actually pronounce all those random letters in some way.

Come on its buy-fug-lin

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I never heard the V in Toews on TV. Surprised....I've been saying it wrong but I think its subtle, and I don't live in Chicago to where someone would ever correct me.

Who would ever guess that?

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I never heard the V in Toews on TV. Surprised....I've been saying it wrong but I think its subtle, and I don't live in Chicago to where someone would ever correct me.

It's definitely subtle. I think as long as you pronounce it with a long "a" sound you won't be laughed at.

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Take a minute and YouTube Pierre McGuirre and Dustin Byfuglien. It should be the first result :D

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Unfortunately, this will be short lived as the OP is in a Suicide Pact with the Bears beating Atlanta being the trigger. Too bad, HeHateMe would've been a good addition here.

:facepalm2:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

what mark bell and tyler arnason didnt do anything for ya? :)

i miss doug wilson and steve smith

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

yea i always say it like taze

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

It is pronounced, Buf-foo-glee-en.... at least dats wut the dumb hot-girl Hawk fans would say back in 2009-2010 lol.... "OMG I LOVVVEEEE BUFFOOGLIEN"