AFL!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I usually stay on top of this but life gets busy. The Arizona Fall League started on October 7th. The Cubs players are on the Mesa Solar Sox. This is a league with usually top prospects and really good players. Its kind of like a large dizzy dean league. The Cubs representatives are

Addison Russell
Dan Volgelbach
Jacob Hannemann
Cj Edwards
Ivan Pineyro
Gerardo Concepcion
Zach Cates

I will give updates. It just started but Volgy has either walked or K'd in almost every at bat. Russell is 1 for 8. I will give more later.

Last edited:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A little update. Edwards is pitching well. He went 3 scoreless and only gave up a hit in his last outing.

Addison Russell played a game at second base.

Volgelbach has started to get it going.

They have been experimenting with pitch clocks and other time saving things to speed up the games. Seems baseball is developing a system to speed up games.

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
A little update. Edwards is pitching well. He went 3 scoreless and only gave up a hit in his last outing.

They have been experimenting with pitch clocks and other time saving things to speed up the games. Seems baseball is developing a system to speed up games.

Thanks for the update. I find it interesting that Russel is getting time at 2B myself. Could it be that Castro is trade bait, or is it just a backup if Baez doesn't develop? But good to hear about Edwards. If the Cubs can sign two starters this off season, I'd love to see them end up with a lot of middle inning pitchers ala KC.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Why? Don't people like World Series games ending at 12:10 a.m.?

Here's a suggestion: Drop replay!
:)

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Thanks for the update. I find it interesting that Russel is getting time at 2B myself. Could it be that Castro is trade bait, or is it just a backup if Baez doesn't develop? But good to hear about Edwards. If the Cubs can sign two starters this off season, I'd love to see them end up with a lot of middle inning pitchers ala KC.
If Russell playing 2b and Baez is at 2B, it leads me to believe that Castro safe and going nowhere and their thinking may be Russell could move to 2B if Baez continues to struggle or Baez could move to 3B when Russell arrives with Bryant going to LF..

Papa Wheelie

Liked Posts:
If Russell playing 2b and Baez is at 2B, it leads me to believe that Castro safe and going nowhere and their thinking may be Russell could move to 2B if Baez continues to struggle or Baez could move to 3B when Russell arrives with Bryant going to LF..

I was more or less thinking out loud. But the more flexible these guys are the better imo. It's smart by the Cubs as well. The only think I don't like about your comment, and not that I disagree, but I'd like to see Bryant stay at 3B myself.

I just like his prototypical size for a big player at the corner. I'd also prefer more of a defensive guy in LF that can still hit for average. Other than that, the more these guys can move around the better.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I was more or less thinking out loud. But the more flexible these guys are the better imo. It's smart by the Cubs as well. The only think I don't like about your comment, and not that I disagree, but I'd like to see Bryant stay at 3B myself.

I just like his prototypical size for a big player at the corner. I'd also prefer more of a defensive guy in LF that can still hit for average. Other than that, the more these guys can move around the better.
I only put bryant in LF if the plan is to keep Baez, Castro, and Russell. ..

One thing for sure their going to need to figure it out by next off season between the 4

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I only put bryant in LF if the plan is to keep Baez, Castro, and Russell. ..

One thing for sure their going to need to figure it out by next off season between the 4

I'm expecting Bryant at 3B after they get this year for free. IE: 7 years of control vs 6 years if he opens up in the line up.

Honestly there is nothing that leads me to believe that this will change. When it comes down to Russell promoting; which should be around the same time Baez promoted the season will dictate the move. If they are in it and need a arm for a play off push then out of Castro, Baez and Russell one will be dealt.

I really do not see them just moving Bryant off of 3B.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
A ballzy move: This winter trade Baez and Alcantara to Philly for Cole Hamels. Then sign Lester after. Sets 1-3 with 3 ToR arms.

After that sign Colby Rasmus to a 1 year deal to play CF then sign Melky Cabrera to play LF.

Eat Jackson's remaining and decline arb to Wood.

I would let Olt man 3B until Bryant is up then have Valbuena cover 2B until Russel promotes.

UI's would be Watkins and Valaika. 4/5 OF: Coghlan and Szczur. Both can cover CF.

Over all it makes sense. I'm not sure where it would put payroll but Cabrera should get a 50 mil deal. 13 mil per like Jackson got.
Hamels is at 22.5 mil in 2015. Lester I could see starting at 18 mil year 1 on a scaling deal. Rasmus 7 mil would be generous for him. But he adds some LH power lower in the line up.

So they would be looking to add 60.5 mil to payroll. They would have to use up what they rolled over last year to cover it but with the new billboard up and an increase of sales due to some legit moves made I doubt there would be much issue long term with keeping the team intact.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Probably a good move. They say he's 100% healthy and there's not a lot of gain to be had by having him continue to play. It's been a long season for him.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is batting under .200 in 42 at bats. HES A BUST!!!!!!!!! TRADE HIM NOW!!!!!