Welp, Notre Dame just got fucked by the refs..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
That would be cosmic justice for the travesty that occurred in 1993.
Yeah. It was such a travesty. The 1 loss team that ran a gauntlet of Top Ten teams for the majority of their schedule was voted #1 in both polls.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah. It was such a travesty. The 1 loss team that ran a gauntlet of Top Ten teams for the majority of their schedule was voted #1 in both polls.

You realize that in 1993 both FSU and ND defeated the same amount of Top 10 teams right(3)? Plus..well ND beat FSU head to head.

DCguy

Liked Posts:
The video doesn't prove your fTpoint because it's just moving pictures of Prosise getting held.

It's moving pictures of why ND receivers botched that play. All they had to do was run slants and they would have avoided all this.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
You realize that in 1993 both FSU and ND defeated the same amount of Top 10 teams right(3)? Plus..well ND beat FSU head to head.
Not at game time.

FSU- @ #2 Notre Dame, #2 Nebraska, #3 Miami, @ #7 Florida, @ #13 North Carolina, #15 Virginia, and #17 Clemson
ND - @ #2 Michigan, #1 FSU, #12 BC, #6 TAMU

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not at game time.

FSU- @ #2 Notre Dame, #2 Nebraska, #3 Miami, @ #7 Florida, @ #13 North Carolina, #15 Virginia, and #17 Clemson

That means nothing. At game time? Really?
USC was ranked #1 in 2012-- did that mean anything?
What a stupid fucking post.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That would be cosmic justice for the travesty that occurred in 1993.

Mark it down, that will happen. And the crying from these pathetic FSU rapist apologists will be deafening. Good times to be had this January.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wasnt Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Oklahoma all ranked in the top 10 at one point This season? That sure meant a lot

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not at game time.

You realize that in 1993 both FSU and ND defeated the same amount of Top 10 teams right(3)?

The hell are you on?

At the end of the season(when the NC polling is done) both had defeated (3) Top 10 teams.

If we are dealing with Top 10 teams why are you listing teams outside the Top 10?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The hell are you on?

At the end of the season(when the NC polling is done) both had defeated (3) Top 10 teams.

If we are dealing with Top 10 teams why are you listing teams outside the Top 10?
I didn't deal with only Top Ten teams. That's your own criteria. The overall SoS of FSU vs ND mattered. I wasn't a voter for the AP or coaches poll. I can only explain rationally, why ND wasn't given a title shot. As deep into the season as the loss was for FSU, they would have been bumped out of the title game normally, but ND lost to BC the following week. FSU lost to #2. ND lost to #17.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is that why I listed all the ranked teams they played?

Is this why you included teams ranked outside the Top 10 in those listings even though you set the bar at Top 10 teams?

LOL

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Was there really a title shot back in 1993? I mean, wasn't it all voting - and not the actual game being played?

I don't remember anything that said x year the National Championship will be decided at the Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose Bowl..

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Was there really a title shot back in 1993? I mean, wasn't it all voting - and not the actual game being played?

I don't remember anything that said x year the National Championship will be decided at the Orange/Sugar/Fiesta/Rose Bowl..
Yeah. There was kind of a predecessor to the BCS for a few years in the 90's.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Every once in a while you'd get a matchup that would "decide" the title but it was very rarely 1 vs 2. It was usually the top ranked team just trying to win to hold onto the top spot. I really don't recall a 1 v 2 matchup occurring prior to the BCS all that often

Yeah. There was kind of a predecessor to the BCS for a few years in the 90's.

LOL, No there wasn't.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look up Bowl Coalition. I'm sure you can use google.

The Coalition was flawed in several respects. Most significantly, it didn't include the champions of the Big Ten and Pac-10, both of whom were contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl. The Coalition's founders tried to get the Tournament of Roses Association to release the Big Ten and Pac-10 champions to play in a title game if one of them was ranked #1 or #2 in the Bowl Poll, but it refused to do so due to concerns about this potentially violating its television contract with ABC.

The possibility also still existed that an undefeated and untied team would not get a chance to play for the national championship. This actually occurred during the 1993 season. Nebraska and West Virginia both finished the season undefeated and untied. However, West Virginia, ranked #2 in the final regular season Coaches Poll behind #1 Nebraska, was ranked #3 in the final regular season AP Poll behind #1 Florida State and #2 Nebraska. The margin between West Virginia and Florida State was large enough to drop the Mountaineers to third in the Bowl Coalition Poll, forcing them to settle for a berth in the Sugar Bowl.

Also, the Coalition did not include the so-called "mid-major" I-A conferences—the WAC, Big West and Mid-American, as well as the other independents. However, it was argued that most of these schools did not have schedules strong enough to be legitimate title contenders. For example, when BYU won the national championship in 1984—the last time a team from a mid-major conference has won a national championship as of the 2013 season—some college football pundits argued that the Cougars had not played a legitimate schedule, since they had only played one ranked team all season. The Cougars were the closest thing at the time to a major football power playing in a mid-major conference. They won 10 straight WAC championships from 1976 to 1985, and regularly defeated foes from the Pac-10, Big Ten and SWC during this time. Despite criticism of their schedule, the Cougars were a near-unanimous pick as national champion at the end of the season. The Coalition made it impossible for this to ever happen again. However, BYU's impact in college football would again put pressure on the upper-tier bowl agreements in the 1996 season.

Demise[edit]
The Bowl Coalition's demise came about, in large part, as the result of two events that occurred in the 1994 season. First, the Southwest Conference, which had seen a marked decline in its quality of play over the past decade, announced it would dissolve after the 1995 season. Also, Notre Dame slipped from 10–1–1 in 1992 and 11–1 in 1993 to 6–4–1 in 1994. Notre Dame was still invited to the Fiesta Bowl in the 1994 season, losing 41–24 to Colorado in a game played on January 2, 1995. The sudden fall of Notre Dame led some involved in the Bowl Coalition to be concerned about the possibility of Notre Dame failing to win the minimum six games to be eligible for a bowl invitation.

To alleviate these concerns, before the 1995 season the Bowl Coalition was reconfigured into the Bowl Alliance, breaking up the conference tie-ins and tweaking a system that still did not include the Big Ten and the Pac 10. Coincidentally, the last year of the Bowl Coalition was the only year that its system didn't work out cleanly. Nebraska and Penn State both finished the regular season 12-0, and were ranked first and second respectively in all major polls. However, as the Big Ten champion, Penn State was contractually obligated to play in the Rose Bowl, where it defeated the Pac 10's Oregon. Meanwhile, Nebraska defeated Miami in the Orange Bowl and was crowned national champion by both major polls.

One legacy of the Bowl Coalition was that it cemented the status of the Fiesta Bowl, the youngest of the member bowls, as a major bowl.

Like I said.....
Every once in a while you'd get a matchup that would "decide" the title but it was very rarely 1 vs 2. It was usually the top ranked team just trying to win to hold onto the top spot. I really don't recall a 1 v 2 matchup occurring prior to the BCS all that often

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Yeah, I remember a Miami game at the Fiesta Bowl where they played the #4, but won the championship. Of course, my memory has faded so I might be pulling that out of my ass.