Houston and Allen's future in Chicago

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
When they signed Allen I said I thought we traded one overpaid vet de for another and was shouted down. Not saying he's completely horrible, just not producing in line with what he's getting paid.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
can we at least let winter happen and see what these tough guys can do?

goddamn....teams are obviously game planning for our ends, because the DT's aren't huge and the linebackers are in dissaray. Quick passes are available at will against this linebacking coprs, safeties, and weak nickelbacks.

The middle is wide open and you think someone is going to get there from the edge? And they still test our soft run defense, occupying and tiring the starting ends.

And the soft field. Relax. The field will freeze, and Allen's intelligence will matter more as the back end solidifies....if it solidifies. Get some goddamn real safeties and maybe allen can get tot he QB.

On early downs, Tucker's D scheme often puts our DE's in a 9 technique

From this position, they are still required to close in (Pinch) on A and B gap running plays. Because of this, the Ends are required to read and then react.

What does "read and react" mean? Generally they will key off the first step of the Tackle. If he blocks down or steps forward, it is likely a run. If he steps back, it is generally a pass play.

When you combine the half second delay to read with the fact that they're already lined up a yard to a yard and a half from a 5 technique, you quickly begin to understand why they are both getting some pressure but not sacks.

This isn't new information. If you note Peppers, and every other DE he's had, they all have to overcome this same handicap. This is a base concept in every Tucker D I have watched film on going back to Cleveland...

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Allen is our Julius Peppers replacement. Teams game plan for him just like they did against Peppers. He's old and his backside pursuit shows it. There are several plays a game where he just follows the group from behind waiting for someone to get the tackle instead of jumping over bodies to make the tackle like the young guys do. The older you get, the more you try to preserve your body when you don't "have" to make the play directly in front of you. It's the same with DJ Williams and Sharpton... Sharpton pursues faster and lays the wood whenever he can. DJ just looks like he makes the play if he has to, but their is no sense of urgency if the play isn't directly in front of him. The problem is.... teams pray for Williams to play... where as they still have to scheme to avoid Allen. Young has excellent backside pursuit. Houston is what we brought him in here to be... A run stopping end that can play D tackle a lot. Like others have said... he also is a great help at wearing down the Offensive line. That being said, I really wish he would disrupt the QB more often and get himself a few sacks...

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
On early downs, Tucker's D scheme often puts our DE's in a 9 technique

From this position, they are still required to close in (Pinch) on A and B gap running plays. Because of this, the Ends are required to read and then react.

What does "read and react" mean? Generally they will key off the first step of the Tackle. If he blocks down or steps forward, it is likely a run. If he steps back, it is generally a pass play.

When you combine the half second delay to read with the fact that they're already lined up a yard to a yard and a half from a 5 technique, you quickly begin to understand why they are both getting some pressure but not sacks.

This isn't new information. If you note Peppers, and every other DE he's had, they all have to overcome this same handicap. This is a base concept in every Tucker D I have watched film on going back to Cleveland...

Which is very unfortunate too.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Heavy squats, leg presses, calf raises, lunges. If you want meathead legs reps would be good in 4-8 range, if you are more interested in toned up legs 8-12 is good.

Lots of it is genetics, too. I have somewhat chicken legs. Just skinny n long. Lots like my Grandpa. Then I have my dads upper body; he was all jacked gymnast guy back in the day.

So don't be disheartened if you can't grow the tree trunks. Genetics play a vital role in how your body grows.

No dead lifts?

Tapatime

Desperado34

Liked Posts:
No dead lifts?

Tapatime

Used to crush the deadlifts. Shit, my back still hurts lol. Most I was repping 345. Good form, but hereditary lower back problems. Good workout, but I don't recommend it unless you are with someone who knowshow to do it correctly. Can totally fuck up your back- both my nicks and pains come from football workouts back in highschool. Fats hit coaching staff never teaching us proper form!

Lookin at my younger day pics, I'm Definetly a lot smaller. After cutting out the protein shakes and all the food I used to serve; Definetly lost some size. Oddly enough, I feel better.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Used to crush the deadlifts. Shit, my back still hurts lol. Most I was repping 345. Good form, but hereditary lower back problems. Good workout, but I don't recommend it unless you are with someone who knows how to do it correctly. Can totally fuck up your back- both my nicks and pains come from football workouts back in highschool. Fats hit coaching staff never teaching us proper form!

Don't lie, pepperoni face. You weren't dead lifting 345. Maybe 3.45.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
When they signed Allen I said I thought we traded one overpaid vet de for another and was shouted down. Not saying he's completely horrible, just not producing in line with what he's getting paid.

There was many who said that.. I don't think the claim you got shouted down would be accurate, especially how it was on this place.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Allen is our Julius Peppers replacement. Teams game plan for him just like they did against Peppers. He's old and his backside pursuit shows it. There are several plays a game where he just follows the group from behind waiting for someone to get the tackle instead of jumping over bodies to make the tackle like the young guys do. The older you get, the more you try to preserve your body when you don't "have" to make the play directly in front of you. It's the same with DJ Williams and Sharpton... Sharpton pursues faster and lays the wood whenever he can. DJ just looks like he makes the play if he has to, but their is no sense of urgency if the play isn't directly in front of him. The problem is.... teams pray for Williams to play... where as they still have to scheme to avoid Allen. Young has excellent backside pursuit. Houston is what we brought him in here to be... A run stopping end that can play D tackle a lot. Like others have said... he also is a great help at wearing down the Offensive line. That being said, I really wish he would disrupt the QB more often and get himself a few sacks...

Good post. And I agree with you on DJ, except opposing OCs are excited to see any and all of our scrub LBs. They suck individually and blow donkey dick collectively.

I hope Allen just hasn't rounded into form yet, but I am very concerned that he isn't going to get much better. Like you said, his backside support is painful to watch, he is running in peanut butter.

I doubt opposing OCs are scheming for Allen, as he's playing currently he is not one of the top 25 DEs in the league. Opposing teams aren't weary of any of our players on D.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lamarr Houston is a bum & shouldn't be a surprise he's playing like one here.

Allen looks finished.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Houston was a longer term investment and I'm sure the Bears are sorely disappointed. They probably expected him to be a staple for the next 5 years.

Allen was most likely a one year band-aid. Lots of football left, but it just looks like he's done.

It's not like other guys aren't getting production. Young, Ratliff and Paea have a combined 15 sacks.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Good post. And I agree with you on DJ, except opposing OCs are excited to see any and all of our scrub LBs. They suck individually and blow donkey dick collectively.

I hope Allen just hasn't rounded into form yet, but I am very concerned that he isn't going to get much better. Like you said, his backside support is painful to watch, he is running in peanut butter.

I doubt opposing OCs are scheming for Allen, as he's playing currently he is not one of the top 25 DEs in the league. Opposing teams aren't weary of any of our players on D.

I'd bet that, at this very minute, Brady, McDaniels, Bellicheck and Gronk are sitting in a room watching tape and salivating looking at the LB corps.

Well, not Gronk. Gronk is harassing a waitress at the local Tilted Kilt.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
If you look a the timing, I really don't have a problem with the Jared Allen signing. Remember he was signed in late March, after the initial wave of Free Agency. At that point that draft was shaking out and it was clear that outside of Clowney (not happening)there was no Defense End worthy of the Bears selection there(Kony Ealy once a possible target, his stock was plunging). So.....

A) Why not get some extra "help" at the position. Did we know Willie Young was going to be such a beast?
B) Drafting Allen wasn't going to preclude/block them from taking a young stud DE.

I am really disspaointed with Allen so far, and yeah he got old fast. But if you look at the details of his deal, it's essentially a 2 year contract, the Bears can cut him after next year and start getting some major cap space back.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
If you look a the timing, I really don't have a problem with the Jared Allen signing. Remember he was signed in late March, after the initial wave of Free Agency. At that point that draft was shaking out and it was clear that outside of Clowney there was no Defense End worthy of the Bears selection there. So.....

A) Why not get some extra "help" at the position. Did we know Willie Young was going to be such a beast?
B) Drafting Allen wasn't going to preclude/block them from taking a young stud DE.

I am really disspaointed with Allen so far, and yeah he got old fast. But if you look at the details of his deal, it's essentially a 2 year contract, the Bears can cut him after next year and start getting some major cap space back.

Yeah, I thought it was a good signing as well. Remember, him going to Seattle was all but done.

A once elite pass rusher not far removed from a great season (whereas Peppers hadn't done dick in 3 years). Unfortunate. Father time caught up with him. Unfortuantely the Bears couldn't milk one more solid season out of him. Don't need 22 sacks, but a nice number like 12 with some consistent rush would have been realistic.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Lamarr Houston is a bum & shouldn't be a surprise he's playing like one here.

Allen looks finished.

he's amongst the league leaders in qb hits and hurries. no one should have expected him to be a guy who gets a lot of sacks. he's a good football player and playing exactly how anyone who watched him in oakland should have expected him to play.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
he's amongst the league leaders in qb hits and hurries. no one should have expected him to be a guy who gets a lot of sacks. he's a good football player and playing exactly how anyone who watched him in oakland should have expected him to play.

Hurries - the black jelly bean of defensive stats.

He is a D Lineman on a team that is on the field for a lot of snaps.

He has 5 tackles through 7 games.

That is embarrassing.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

And nobody should be responding to Joe thinking his post is anything but a ignorant cynical response in regards to the team he roots for.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Houston I am willing to give more time too.

But if we can get out of Allen's deal at the end of the season we should.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I've thought houston has looked okay