Week 1 1987: Bears vs Giants on MNF

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
IIRC, Dierdorf, or whoever the color guy was, crowned Tomczak's ass at the end of the game. I'd be interested to know if my memory held up after all these years. Will watch when I'm by a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
IIRC, Dierdorf, or whoever the color guy was, crowned Tomczak's ass at the end of the game. I'd be interested to know if my memory held up after all these years. Will watch when I'm by a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be posting the vids and commentary of the second half tomorrow. Will be interesting to see.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
If I recall correctly- Tomczak's nickname- given by his teammates- was "Lotto"- as in pick six. I'm Mike Tomczak- my friends call me Lotto- throw the ball anywhere- that's my motto.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
-Pretty interesting as we close out this Part how little Payton has been used. By my count he only has three touches to this point in the game

His last year. The first that Anderson really came into his own as a big time palyer. IIRC he was still Payton's de facto FB cfor much of it, but made a name for himself in his own right.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was 10. i'm amazed how much of this I remember.

I recall seeing this game as part of a Walter Payton special?

Like there was a 30 minute show about Walter Payton and then this game was on the DVD as well, so I recall a bit of the game already.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Neal Anderson was awesome. I have a highlight video of his that I think I got from someone at CBMB.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Neal Anderson was awesome. I have a highlight video of his that I think I got from someone at CBMB.

Yeah, I forgot just how fast he was. He was able to turn the corner on a sweep play in a flash.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I remember this game because I spent the offseason preaching that Tomczak would lead us to another Super Bowl and no one would ever remember the name McMahon.

By the end of this game, I must have ingested twenty pounds of crow.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I was too little and had my brain focused on video games back then to really understand those 80s and early 90s teams. Anderson was pretty much Matt Forte back then though, minus the shoestring tackles.

Madden himself said Anderson was the best in the game during a broadcast. when you consider Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, and Thurmon Thomas were around in those times, that's pretty impressive.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Man thanks for this; I lived in NYC when this game was played and I was pretty pumped for this game and the next day at work. I wish this were available at decent resolution. The Giants had just won the Super Bowl and the Giants (and their fans) were really confident.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 9

[video=youtube;YkXI1doBcDA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkXI1doBcDA[/video]

-(0:45) Tomczak threw the ball 22 times in the first half. MIKE TOMCZAK WAS ALLOWED TO THROW THE BALL 22 TIMES IN ONE HALF

-(1:45) Tomczak actually looks off a throw here and makes a great pass to the sideline.

-(4:40) Not sure how rare or common it was for the day but pretty interesting to see Jay Hilgenburg long snapping. They may have been discussing it while zoomed in on him but I couldn't hear the audio.

-(7:25) Landeta always seemed to suck at Soldier Field

-(8:15) Nice baseball info. Ripkin's consecutive inning streak ends and the Blue Jays hit 10 HR's in one game. Here is the boxscore of that game
http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/TOR/TOR198709140.shtml

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 10

[video=youtube;9TkzDiUATHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TkzDiUATHs[/video]

-(1:30) If you look up "wing and a prayer" in a dictionary this play would define it. Tomczak's prayer results in Ron Morris' first career touchdown.

-(3:00) Al Harris on kickoff coverage celebrating a pretty basic tackle like it just won the game.

-(4:45) Richard Dent sacks Phil Simms with one hand. Looks like he just swatted him to the ground.
On the next play the Bears get in on Simms again. Just really always neat to see how this Bears defense seemed to be a "gathering force" and how the constant blitzes would just wear down offenses.

-(6:40) Tomczak hits Gault deep down the sideline for a TD on the first play after the punt. Shades of the Berrian play against New Orleans in the NFCG from after the 2006 season.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If I remember correctly Dennis McKinnon returned a punt for a TD in this one.

And I didn't think we stood a chance because Tcrap was going to start. How that guy managed to keep a job in the league is one of the wonders of the world.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 11

[video=youtube;iKsCBA-8-v8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKsCBA-8-v8[/video]

-(0:00) Exactly where you don't want to be against this Bears defense...forced to pass the ball.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
I forgot how friggin fast Willie Gault was. He was pulling away from the defenders when he had to slow down to catch the pass.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 12
[video=youtube;1cG1gfJVtPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cG1gfJVtPk[/video]

-(1:30) T-Suck with a Cutler-esque throw off his back foot into coverage that results in a 70 yard INT return for a TD.

-(4:43) Big BC vs USC game on Saturday. USC would win 23-17 enroute to a Rose Bowl season where they would lose to Michigan State.

-(6:40) REVERSE! To Dennis Gentry

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 13

[video=youtube;hw0gcrn62PQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw0gcrn62PQ[/video]

-(0:00) One of the funnier bungled plays. I'm sure this ended up on football follies at some point.

-(1:00) Why Simms is talking shit to Otis Wilson I will never know. Wilson will want to kill him. Ferncik also flashed on this play on defense for the first time all game.

-(1:50) Onebud, here is that punt return for a score. 94 yards. A mix of a spectacular return and just horrid tackling. McKinnon would leave the NFL in Punt Return TD's this year. He'd also be out of football by the 1991 season.

-(4:45) At this point the Bears had won 26 straight games when going in the 4th quarter with a lead.

-(7:20) The Danimal flashes on a 3rd and 2 for a nice stop.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Part 14

[video=youtube;ipAtnYyqxGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipAtnYyqxGk[/video]

-(9:15) Payton's famous "club" forearm.