I never truly got to savor our only Super Bowl title

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:
Before my time, I only know stories and footage for Starr but:

Starr has the highest playoff passer rating (104.80) of any quarterback in NFL history and a playoff record of 9–1.

That's from Wiki, just assuming accuracy. But if post season is the criteria, you'd think he'd be mentioned more often.

In most all time lists I see Starr as #2 or #3 (behind Brady)

"Montana holds a 4-0 record in the Super Bowl. All four times he posted a triple-digit passer rating. His 11 touchdowns are a Super Bowl record and his zero interceptions in 122 pass attempts are a testament to his greatness....

And he threw five touchdown passes against the Broncos, while helping the 49ers score 55 points."

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

"Montana holds a 4-0 record in the Super Bowl. All four times he posted a triple-digit passer rating. His 11 touchdowns are a Super Bowl record and his zero interceptions in 122 pass attempts are a testament to his greatness....

And he threw five touchdown passes against the Broncos, while helping the 49ers score 55 points.

Montana has thrown one or fewer interceptions in 18 of his 23 postseason games. He posted a passer rating above 100 in 12 of his 23 playoff games, including eight in a row. He averages 250 yards and two touchdown passes per game."

Not going to deny Montana's greatness (except Young was better in the same offense). And yes, I agree, rarely does anyone bring up Starr as #1. But 9-1 and that passer rating (passer rating wasn't typically nearly as high back then) but it's worth noticing. Arguable even. I'm not arguing it though. My two are Peyton and Young.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You can call it short sighted or "Special person" all you want. I won't even get into how ignorant of a term that is. Yes, Green bay would have been a mediocre team for the vast majority of those years had it not been for the sheer luck involved with getting Favre for so many years followed by Rodgers. It's not even like the Packers had the same regime drafting these two quarterbacks or anything. They got lucky twice, like they always do. That's not fan bias, that's simple observation.

lol, yeah teams tend to be mediocre when you take away their HoF QB... da fuck

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Still would go with Favre. He played in an era when you could hit the QB and actually were allowed to defend receivers! This entire era should have an asteric never been impressed with manning. Not saying he is not great. But when people say he is the best ever I just assume they are young and never heard of joe Montana! I would put Favre and Montana ahead of all these current "greats".

ur nuts

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
farve vs rodgers is the ultimate meatball test.

Farvre was a truly great QB. But the ONLY reason he is mentioned in the company of the all time elites is cause his longevity.

When true all time elites have similar longevity, they crush his numbers like Manning just did.

Manning: 510 TDs 222 Pics 17 years

Favre: 508 TDs 336 pics 20 years

Last edited:

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It kinda sucked for the fans

I still would think it would be a pretty cool game to see (or not see). Was it worse or better than what we saw on TV?

ChicagoBornCalifLiving

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

And he threw five touchdown passes against the Broncos, while helping the 49ers score 55 points.

Montana has thrown one or fewer interceptions in 18 of his 23 postseason games. He posted a passer rating above 100 in 12 of his 23 playoff games, including eight in a row. He averages 250 yards and two touchdown passes per game."

^^^^^ This

99% of all lists I have ever seen have Montana #1. After that it is some combination of Brady, Favre, Elway, Unitas, Marino & Manning for the rest of the top 5. The argument is always raised with Montana that the West Coast system made him what he was along with the talent he had around him. My response to that is you still need that leader who can will his teammates to win and plays with a fearless attitude because he knows he will succeed.

If all it takes is to have great talent and a good offensive system then Cutler should have the Bears in the SB this year or next.

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:
Not going to deny Montana's greatness (except Young was better in the same offense). And yes, I agree, rarely does anyone bring up Starr as #1. But 9-1 and that passer rating (passer rating wasn't typically nearly as high back then) but it's worth noticing. Arguable even. I'm not arguing it though. My two are Peyton and Young.

I can't really argue w/ that (although not as sold on Young). My rankings are:

#1 Joe Montana
#2 Bart Starr
#3 Tom Brady
#4 Peyton Manning

Much like Montana did for KC (w/o the SB of course), if Peyton Manning get a SB win w/ the Broncos he leapfrogs into #1 as the greatest QB ever.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still would think it would be a pretty cool game to see (or not see). Was it worse or better than what we saw on TV?

I dont think I ever saw it on TV. But it was pretty sloppy.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Nope... I don't feel for you

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:

Young doesn't work for me because when Montana left the 49ers and went to KC he elevated that team greatly. Much like Manning is doing for the Broncos. Young seems like Brady - a system QB that is really good in their SYSTEM. Remember, early in his career Young Grossman-ish sucked in Tampa Bay.

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:
^^^^^ This

99% of all lists I have ever seen have Montana #1. After that it is some combination of Brady, Favre, Elway, Unitas, Marino & Manning for the rest of the top 5. The argument is always raised with Montana that the West Coast system made him what he was along with the talent he had around him. My response to that is you still need that leader who can will his teammates to win and plays with a fearless attitude because he knows he will succeed.

If all it takes is to have great talent and a good offensive system then Cutler should have the Bears in the SB this year or next.

Look at how Montana elevated KC back then. That needs to be factored in when he was outside the 49ers system

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^^^^^ This

I don't disagree with the QB's you named that are generally listed. I got to watch Montana and Young. And I was told over and over again that Montana was the greatest quarterback ever. And Young simply performed better as a 49er once given a chance. Montana wasn't battling the Cowboys dynasty. Sure Montana had competition, Bears, Giants, Redskins. Young was just more complete than Montana. Yet Montana has this reputation that won't leave. He's like Babe Ruth. You can't convince me anyone is ever better than Babe and I've never seen Babe Ruth play. I've seen Montana. He's no Steve Young.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember right, the Fog Bowl was on New Year's Eve day, and it set the stage one helluva New Year's Eve celebration.

The result of the game was the famous joke:

True or False, Mike Ditka can change the weather with his mood swings.

The answer is True.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at how Montana elevated KC back then. That needs to be factored in when he was outside the 49ers system

The Chiefs were 10-6 before Montana 11-5 and then 9-7 with Montana. Are we making up history now?

I had Montana on my fantasy team in 1994, traded for him. He had negative points in my league. He had 16 TD's and 9 INT's (I had Faulk and Emmitt and won the league though :) )

I don't see the escalating Chiefs thing adding to Montana's greatness at all.

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:
The Chiefs were 10-6 before Montana 11-5 and then 9-7 with Montana. Are we making up history now?

I had Montana on my fantasy team in 1994, traded for him. He had negative points in my league. He had 16 TD's and 9 INT's (I had Faulk and Emmitt and won the league though :) )

I don't see the escalating Chiefs thing adding to Montana's greatness at all.

The fact that Montana was productive w/ another team seems to be enough. That's more than Brady. More than Starr. And yet to be seen w/ Manning (although close)

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The fact that Montana was productive w/ another team seems to be enough. That's more than Brady. More than Starr. And yet to be seen w/ Manning (although close)

Manning had the greatest season ever with Denver. What are you talking about?

Favre went on to Minnesota and had 33 TD's and 7 INT's.

Brady and Starr never moved on.

I'm missing the point here.