Last Year's Offense, What Happened

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really wonder if the offense took it a little easier in the offseason.

They had a nice year last year, everyone got paid, the attention was on the defense, and they did not push it as hard.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what Trestman says, it sounds like Cutler has been optioning out of runs.

That's what I was talking to ole about this morning, and I still don't get it. Why would Trestman take the audible away from Jay depending on what he see's at the LOS?

Either Trestman isn't trusting Jay's eyes and the decisions he makes, or Trestman is questioning his own teachings. A QB checking out of a run play is pretty standard shit.

Am I missing something?

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
That's what I was talking to ole about this morning, and I still don't get it. Why would Trestman take the audible away from Jay depending on what he see's at the LOS?

Either Trestman isn't trusting Jay's eyes and the decisions he makes, or Trestman is questioning his own teachings. A QB checking out of a run play is pretty standard shit.

Am I missing something?

It's gotta be the former of those two reasons you mentioned. Which is unfortunate and not a good sign.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Jay is not a WCO guy.

Teams are taking away the big plays.

They are letting him check it down.

They want him to throw it underneath 20-25+ times a game because they know he will fuck up.

Our play calling is not playing to Jay's strengths. That's on Trestman. Don't try and turn Cutler into Alex Smith his 9th year in the league.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
So you think Trestman is questioning his own philosophy? I just find all that incredibly odd. I asked earlier, but does anyone know if Trestman has made that decision previously as coach of the Bears?

No - sorry I meant he is not trusting Jay to make the right call. That's seems like the only plausible way this is happening. It's got to be results based and Trestman must be aware of the negative results we've had when checking out. I remember Trestman talking about how that is very important to him and his philosophy (checking out).

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's gotta be the former of those two reasons you mentioned. Which is unfortunate and not a good sign.

Yeah, probably so. Just seems odd as hell to me, that's what you do to rookie QB's. I dunno.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's that hard to give Jay a look presnap and bail out of it. Unfortunately Jay has problems realizing formations and schemes change once the ball is snapped.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
No - sorry I meant he is not trusting Jay to make the right call. That's seems like the only plausible way this is happening. It's got to be results based and Trestman must be aware of the negative results we've had when checking out. I remember Trestman talking about how that is very important to him and his philosophy (checking out).

The last post was my bad, I read it wrong, sorry.

I agree, then on top of it, Trestmans explanation didn't make much sense to me either. He basically said, that in the 1st half, Miami did a good job of defending the plays that Jay audibled, so he made the decision at the half to not have Jay check out of run calls anymore because he(Trestman) felt as though we could run the ball regardless of what Miami showed pre-snap.

I mean, if he felt so strongly that we could run the rock on Miami at will, then why not do that from the start of the game? I'm not trying to crap on Trestman, or Jay for that matter, the whole thing is just fucky to me.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's that hard to give Jay a look presnap and bail out of it. Unfortunately Jay has problems realizing formations and schemes change once the ball is snapped.

I don't think it's so much that as it is he is prone to forcing it, locking onto a receiver, not looking off his receiver, and not taking what the defense gives him on a regular basis. He'll do it in spurts, but if you play zone and keep forcing him to check it down, he's going to try to force the issue.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's so much that as it is he is prone to forcing it, locking onto a receiver, not looking off his receiver, and not taking what the defense gives him on a regular basis. He'll do it in spurts, but if you play zone and keep forcing him to check it down, he's going to try to force the issue.

We have two great vertical threat WRs yet Trestman wants them to go horizontal or run WR screens. We're trying to fit players into a scheme instead of fitting the scheme to our players.

The offense sucks.

Monsieur Tirets

Liked Posts:
In just those highlights McCown displayed better pocket awareness/presence/mechanics than Cutler ever has. He also looked off his receivers more in those clips than Cutler ever has in his whole career. McCown also simply seemed better at reading Ds. The O doesn't look much different this year than it did when Jay was under center last year.

This shouldn't even be a question anymore... the guy running the O simply isn't very good at doing so. At least not at anything resembling a consistent basis. We have a mediocre QB under center that can be vastly outplayed by a 35yo journeyman.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
We have two great vertical threat WRs yet Trestman wants them to go horizontal or run WR screens. We're trying to fit players into a scheme instead of fitting the scheme to our players.

The offense sucks.

I have no idea what's going on with the play calling and the offense has certainly been under performing, but I'm not sure I'd go as far to say that the offense sucks. We're not running the ball enough, we're not pass blocking well enough, guys are turning the ball over, and as I eluded to before, the play calling has been bad. It's all fixable, but it's very close to being too late.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
I have no idea what's going on with the play calling and the offense has certainly been under performing, but I'm not sure I'd go as far to say that the offense sucks. We're not running the ball enough, we're not pass blocking well enough, guys are turning the ball over, and as I eluded to before, the play calling has been bad. It's all fixable, but it's very close to being too late.

The offense as a whole sucks. The individuals in it are mostly good to above average.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I remember watching live a beautiful no-huddle drive at the beginning of the 2007 Giants game that resulted in a score. Then it was abandoned. Maybe that's not how to use no-huddle. :(

#bearsexpertruminations

Enasic

Liked Posts:
The offense as a whole sucks. The individuals in it are mostly good to above average.

The offense as a whole has been under performing for a variety of reasons. I think the main reason it's not clicking is because of pass blocking (Mills), and Trestman's play calling (not running the ball, lack of adjustments). These are fixable issues. Bench Mills, start running the ball, spread the ball around, take what the defense gives you.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really wonder if the offense took it a little easier in the offseason.

They had a nice year last year, everyone got paid, the attention was on the defense, and they did not push it as hard.

Why are you grasping so hard for weird institutional issues?

Its not really that complex. First page of this thread you had a list of observable issues that are plenty enough to cause a team to sputter. ffs man. There isnt that much that separates an 11-5 team and an 8-8 team. Especially this year. I think you are trying to hard.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Am I missing something?

I think the inference is clear that when they look back at the tape, Cutler has been making the wrong check.