Last Year's Offense, What Happened

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
if trestman is an offensive genius he should be able to build a system around cutler's strength being that they gave him 126 million and will be here atleast another 3 years

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There have been a lot of key turnovers at very costly times for the Bears.

As someone else noted there have been no halftime adjustments and the playcalling has been suspect.

The Bears D has been slightly better but the increase in penalties has basically cancelled any improved play out.

I think the impact of turnovers has been way exaggerated. Obviously they don't make anything easier.

But in all the games with bad turnovers, the bears still had plenty of opportunity to overcome them. Turnovers hurt but imo, they are a red herring when it comes to the O struggles.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Surely you meant to type that in green.

A couple of stats look a bit better through the first 7 games, but anybody watching the games knows that he has not been playing very well. No need to go into details, we have all been through them way too many times over the last few days.

It is up to you to catch up on your Bears info on your own time. Missing time like you did this week from the message board is a choice that you made, and it isn't fair to the rest of us to have to explain the basic information while you attempt to catch up.

A couple of stats......right. the stats people wanted to see improve like td's and conpletition percentage but I forgot who I was talking to. I mossed time from the whiny bitchfest because of death in my family but thanks anyways.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Great post. McCown isn't really very talented and it doesn't surprise me that his performance in Tampa was the pre-Bears McCown rather than what we saw last year. His game just fits with Trestman's offense perfectly.

I understand and respect DaaBears' point about not making this topic about Cutler, but I think he's central to the point. This offense needs a cerebral type of QB who excels at going through his reads and making smart decisions. It's just not going to work consistently like this.

People really need to pay attention to Mccown's career before crowning him a smart qb who makes great reads. He has never been that no matter where he went no matter who he played for. He has been in a wco before and he has had great playmakers before. He is just a bad qb. Kirk cousins and foles were tge flavors on the year too and that waned as well.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The difference was turnovers. McCown didn't have many. Cutler is a turnover machine. That's what made McCown so good last year.

Okay? We still broke even. While Mccown's play was great last year only he really benefited from it. He got a nice contract and proceeded to do what he has done his whole career.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
A couple of stats......right. the stats people wanted to see improve like td's and conpletition percentage but I forgot who I was talking to. I mossed time from the whiny bitchfest because of death in my family but thanks anyways.

Sorry for your loss bro

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the impact of turnovers has been way exaggerated. Obviously they don't make anything easier.

But in all the games with bad turnovers, the bears still had plenty of opportunity to overcome them. Turnovers hurt but imo, they are a red herring when it comes to the O struggles.

Yep. It seems that when we have turnovers everything goes wrong at an instant

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I really cannot understand why this entire year, the Bears have ignored the middle of the field. Whatever happened to crossing patterns? TE over the middle plays?I am so freeking disappointed in our play calling.It doesn't make any sense.This should be an offense who defenses should fear. Instead we stop ourselves mostof the time. I don't think that it is too fucking much to ask to have a team which improves as the season goes on. We see glimpses of genius from Trestman but that is it. He sometimes seems to outsmart himself and sometimes Cutler fucks his calls up by calling an audible. I absolutely believe that their last game and possibly the entire season went into the shitter when he threw that bomb on 3rd and one at the beginning of the game.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I posed a question to Adam Hoge last night I believe or earlier this morning and he answered it in his "10 things" column he does a couple times a week. The question was what happened to all the back shoulder stop throws we used to see so often last year?

His answer, and what Trestman/Kromer/Cutler, have been saying is that teams are playing a lot more zone against us trying to force us move the ball down the field more methodically. We've proven not able to do that. Some of that has been play calling. Some of that has been TO's by Cutler, Forte, Marshall, and Rosario.

I think the team is still putting up yards but we haven't been able to bridge the gap between scoring by getting chunk plays and scoring by checking it down, taking what the defenses are giving us, and being able to capitalize when we do get a chance to throw it downfield.

Forte has fumbled once this season. ONCE. How can Hoge or you seriously argue that the reason we have issues "dinking and dunking" down the field(in part) be Matt Forte fumbling ONE time when he's on pace for 116 catches?

Ten by Cutler, three by these other players combined. Nice job writing it in a way which implies they've all been equally as bad.

Last edited:

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
more film out there on trestman and his O....sophmore jinx