Joe Maddon Coming to Cubs?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Not sure what you mean. Every other team, manager, and GM in baseball understands why the Cubs are going after Maddon. And in the same position, they would do the exact same thing. I really doubt this is going to "stain" the Cubs org in any way, if that's what you're getting at.

No they would not do it. Show the examples of it happening in the past. If you do your job you are not removed from it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would be mad at the Cubs if they did not got after Maddon.

Renteria is going to walk away with millions of dollars for not working, and probably will get another job. I don't feel bad at all for him, in almost every job if someone can hire someone better they will.

This would be yet another great move for Theo/Jed.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Ah yes. 1984.

When the Cubs had the Daily Double of Dernier and Sandberg, and lock down Sutcliffe who seemed unbeatable that year, much like Prior was almost a sure thing in the playoffs in 2003.

Both hit unexpected walls in the playoffs, costing the Cubs at least a trip to the WS.

How did Prior hit a wall in the 2003 playoffs? He won his game against the Braves having only given up 1 earned. And then he won his first game against the Marlins and then his team decided to fuck him dry in Game 6.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
No they would not do it. Show the examples of it happening in the past. If you do your job you are not removed from it.

The Terry Bevington/Jim Leyland situation comes immediately to mind.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

Are we talking strictly baseball here Brett? Just askin'.

I do remember in 89' I believe when Doug Collins took the Bulls and improved them in 3 straight years, and losing in the Conference finals in 89', only to be ousted and replaced by one Phil Jackson.

Not saying Phil came in with the same resume as Maddon, but more referencing that Collins was doing his job and got canned.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Why are you so obsessed with this? Renteria seems like a nice enough guy but the Cubs were one of the worst teams in MLB. Sure, not much was expected and not much was delivered. I don't see how upgrading him would be some sort of travesty?

If you want travesty, Marty Schottenheimer, 14-2 with Chargers and then fired.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Are we talking strictly baseball here Brett? Just askin'.

I do remember in 89' I believe when Doug Collins took the Bulls and improved them in 3 straight years, and losing in the Conference finals in 89', only to be ousted and replaced by one Phil Jackson.

Not saying Phil came in with the same resume as Maddon, but more referencing that Collins was doing his job and got canned.
Phil was not better than Doug at that point. I seem to remember some conflict with Collins

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Why are you so obsessed with this? Renteria seems like a nice enough guy but the Cubs were one of the worst teams in MLB. Sure, not much was expected and not much was delivered. I don't see how upgrading him would be some sort of travesty?

If you want travesty, Marty Schottenheimer, 14-2 with Chargers and then fired.

And fired for perpetual loser Norv Turner, no less!

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
How did Prior hit a wall in the 2003 playoffs? He won his game against the Braves having only given up 1 earned. And then he won his first game against the Marlins and then his team decided to fuck him dry in Game 6.

Did you honestly think that Prior would even come close to losing with a 3 run lead? I didn't.

He was cruising, and even recorded the first out of the inning. Then a double, walk, wild pitch, single, ERROR, double.

Yeah! With way he pitched that whole year, I still say Brick Wall.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
Phil was not better than Doug at that point. I seem to remember some conflict with Collins

It a business decision. Lets see how this plays out.

Hell, he isn't even officially on the team, and it will be interesting to see what and where Rick goes if Maddon is indeed hired.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It a business decision. Lets see how this plays out.

Hell, he isn't even officially on the team, and it will be interesting to see what and where Rick goes if Maddon is indeed hired.

I don't believe I ever said it wasn't.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not as hard as you guys with your heads stuck in the Kool-Aid on this one.

I don't want you all to drown.

Who is stuck in kool aid? People are excited that we got a great manager with a track record with making young kids very good. No one here has profressed championship this year. Shit, most still think we wont make the playoffs. You are going hard because it is in fact good news for the Cubs.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Both Collins and Schottenheimer were trying to usurp GM responsibilities it appears.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763552

Collins `too tough' on Bulls - Krause feud also seen as reason for dismissal
Chicago Sun-Times - July 8, 1989
Author: Lacy J. Banks ; Barry Cronin

Doug Collins said Bulls management told him he was fired as coach because he was too hard on his players, had lost their respect and tried to undermine general manager Jerry Krause, sources close to Collins said Friday.

A Bulls player who asked not to be identified told the Chicago Sun-Times that Collins said Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Krause told him he had had been too tough on the players, especially the younger ones, and too emotional during games.

"They also said he had lost the respect of the players, which is not true," the player said.

Collins was fired Thursday after three seasons as coach.

"When you get down to it, based on what Collins told me, he was fired for a lot of bullfeathers reasons," the player said. "It was garbage, their so-called reasons for firing him.

"And, anyway, the bottom line in this league ought to be winning basketball games. We're not here to have a good time and we don't have to like the coach."

Under Collins, the Bulls won three fewer regular season games (47) this season than last, but upset Cleveland and New York in the playoffs and advanced to the NBA's Eastern Conference finals for the first time since the 1974-75 season.

A former member of Bulls management said Collins was dissatisfied with Krause's performance in player personnel, particularly the drafting of No. 1 picks Brad Sellers and Will Perdue, and coveted Krause's job. At times, the source said, Collins went over Krause's head and took basketball matters directly to Reinsdorf, a practice Krause resented.

"Collins wanted a situation where he could have control over player personnel matters along with coaching," the source said. "In other words, he wanted to be coach and general manager."

John Langel, Collins' Philadelphia-based lawyer, said Collins' relationship with Krause began disintegrating six months after Collins was hired in May, 1986.

"His relationship with Krause deteriorated after six months," Langel said. "And once that relationship deteriorates, (any manager) can find reasons to be displeased with someone."

Krause's drafting of Sellers and Perdue further alienated Collins, who did not hold the two in the same esteem as did Krause.

Meanwhile, this year's No. 1 draft pick, 6-11 forward Stacey King of Oklahoma - about whom Collins and Krause had no apparent disagreement - said he was "devastated" at Collins' demise.

"I was devastated because I was looking forward to working with Coach Collins," King said. "But my job is still to come in and play the best ball I can regardless of who the coach is."

As speculation about Collins' ouster continued, the Bulls persisted in terming their motives as "philosophical differences." There was no further explanation from Reinsdorf, Krause or any other member of the Bulls organization Friday.

Collins also maintained an uncharacteristically low profile. He did not schedule a news conference, and relied on vague generalities when cornered by reporters.

"We just felt that it (Collins' departure) was in the interests of both parties," Collins said. "People are going to try to look at it and make something more of it than it really is, but it's not."

Sources said Collins had been advised by other NBA coaches and general managers not to speak out on the matter for fear of alienating other owners.

Langel said Collins has not received any inquiries from other NBA teams. He said the Bulls will honor the final year of Collins' contract, thought to be worth $350,000.

A former television analyst with CBS, Collins is said to have a standing offer to return to the network. Published reports indicated Collins also has received an offer from the Turner Broadcasting System to be an NBA analyst.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Who is stuck in kool aid? People are excited that we got a great manager with a track record with making young kids very good. You are going hard because it is in fact good news for the Cubs.

I agree it is good news. Never said otherwise. Did say they are mistreating Rick thru this process. That's all. Just presenting the angles.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I agree it is good news. Never said otherwise. Did say they are mistreating Rick thru this process. That's all. Just presenting the angles.

And let there be no qualms about this...I'd love to have Maddon on the White Sox.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

How are they mistreating him? 1) They have a contract with him. 2) They are going to break it. 3) He is therefore entitled to compensation. 4) They will pay him that compensation in full.

You're trying to argue that the Cubs owe Renteria something above and beyond his contract. They don't. That's the purpose of the contract.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
How are they mistreating him? 1) They have a contract with him. 2) They are going to break it. 3) He is therefore entitled to compensation. 4) They will pay him that compensation in full.

You're trying to argue that the Cubs owe Renteria something above and beyond his contract. They don't. That's the purpose of the contract.

They're mistreating him because they're the Cubs and anything the Cubs do has to be bad... :yep:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Not as hard as you guys with your heads stuck in the Kool-Aid on this one.

I don't want you all to drown.

Sox fans weird obsession with the Cubs never ceases to amaze me.