Joe Maddon Coming to Cubs?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Joe Maddon exercises his option to leave the Rays. Buster says he's a possible fit in either LA or Chicago.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
Not a chance. He's going to be the Dodgers' skipper.

Very likely but the Dodgers new GM said DM will be the manager. Tim Kurkjan says he believes him. They mentioned JM is big into sabermetrics and how that would fit in well with what the Cubs are doing.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Yeah Olney just said he thinks Cubs and Dodgers are the best fits

Not going to get excited over it. If it happens I would jump for joy, but I am actually happy with the overall direction of the team under RR. But if Maddon is on the market you go after him. Outside of Scherzer, Lester , Maddon is arguably the best FA now on the market

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
"Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports Maddon is not considering the Dodgers at this time. He was able to opt-out of his deal as soon as Friedman left and Heyman says there were some "contentious" days between the Rays and Maddon since that happened.

During his introductory press conference last week, Friedman told reporters Don Mattingly will "definitely" return as manager of the Dodgers in 2015. Mattingly's contract runs through the 2016 season."

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on...of-contract-leaves-rays-effective-immediately

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I doubt Epstein fires RR now..

Cubs best chance at Maddon may be at some point during the season if team isnt playing well

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
If you're Joe Maddon, you have to consider the Cubs and the Cubs need to consider him hard.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Not saying it means anything but wasn't Maddon highly complementary of the cubs when they played? I seem to recall that being a story recently.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Almost everyone is looking for a manager like Maddon.
Sure if they have the position open...

I cant look it up now but what team that is playoff or close to it ready and would be willing to fire their manager and coaching staff now to hire Maddon if he interested in managing that team

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I think there are a half dozen clubs that would consider firing their manager for Maddon. I believe the Cubs are one of them. I also don't believe the talk that the Dodgers are not in play because it doesn't make any sense. Andrew Friedman just took over a club with a $237 million payroll that has underachieved. You can't tell me that he doesn't want his trusted manager of the last 9 years to take over. Not to mention the fact that Maddon spent a large part of his career in LA. Getting back to the Cubs I guarantee you they're on the phone with Maddon's people now. They could give Renteria a soft landing, make a new position for him or whatever. I've always believed he would be gone after 2015 regardless of what happens. He was hired to provide a developmental environment and I think the Cubs always had Maddon and Terry Francona in mind for 2016. It's business. If your guy is out there you go get him.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Cubs FO did suggest that RR did a nice job, but needed to fix some issues like dealing with the pitching staff, IINM. Perhaps the door is open there, Jim. It's an interesting option to say the list, although I was pleasantly surprised with RR and how he kept everyone developing and happy.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Sure if they have the position open...

I cant look it up now but what team that is playoff or close to it ready and would be willing to fire their manager and coaching staff now to hire Maddon if he interested in managing that team
Why would they fire the coaching staff? Why would Bosio leave? They just hired Mallee as the hitting coach, etc.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Why would they fire the coaching staff? Why would Bosio leave? They just hired Mallee as the hitting coach, etc.
That kinda my whole point on firing RR now..

They gave him a pat on back , and hired 2 new coaches.
I just think it a little late now to fire him. .

If Maddon gets hired; hed want his own guys on his staff.. no ?

I personally think Maddon gonna sit out the year as manager and come back in 2016

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
You don't have to be in "need" of a manager to want Joe Maddon. When the best manager in baseball is on the market you have to listen. Cubs shouldn't fire RR unless they are 100% sure Maddon is coming to the Cubs. But that is definitely a thin line to walk across

I don't think Maddon left to take a year off, if his plan was to still leave the Rays he could have waited until after the 2015 season. But with Price gone, and Friedman gone the future isn't very bright in TB

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

I personally think Maddon gonna sit out the year as manager and come back in 2016
Mallee fit the organizational hitting philosophy. Why would Maddon need to bring Mr. Speed Hitter with him as an instructor? As an example, Larry Rothschild served as the Cubs pitching coach for several managers, including Baker and Piniella.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:

I don't think he's going to sit out the year or he wouldn't have left. Frankly I think he knows where he's going or at least has it narrowed down to a couple of choices. Of the landing spots I've heard so far the Cubs would seem to be the best overall fit, The Angels makes sense if Mike Scioscia wants to step aside and let his protege take over especially if he could step up to a front office job and I will not count out the Dodgers until I have to simply because it's too obvious despite the denials. As far a Renteria you thank him for being a good soldier and you find him a job in the organization. He's not stupid and although his feeling might be hurt John Maddon is one of the few difference maker managers left in the game and he has to understand that. I think he's probably also smart to understand that he was given a two contract because Maddon and Terry Francona were both due to be available after 2015. He was hired primarily to provide a good environment for the kids and to try to correct Sveum's mistakes with Rizzo and Castro. Mission accomplished. Thank you very much Ricky, it's time to win now.