Joe Maddon Coming to Cubs?

chibears55

Liked Posts:
All ill say is this...If the cubs buyout RR remaining 2 yrs and hire Maddon their definitely picking up some good FAs yo compete in 2015

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
If you don't sign Maddon you don't make a change now you stick with Renteria. True contention begins in 2016 and unless I'm way off base Renteria is not a championship manager and Ned Yost not withstanding you need one of those and I think Theo and Jed will insist on it.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dodgers said mattingly is their coach next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
For the record I'm not a fan of Ricky's management style. He puts too much into a outdated speed type system vs a modern OBA system.

His management of the pen well his pen had pitch limits due to being so young. So that to me is of a lesser concern.

My main concern is him putting low OBA types ahead of Soler and Rizzo. That nets less run production.

Maddon falls under the same rule as Joe Gur. If he wants to manage the Cubs you make it happen. Until that point status que.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
How so? His contract with Cleveland is up at the end of 2015. I don't think he was considered when Sveum was hired because they didn't want to pay that salary through the rebuild.

Not to mention Francona probably didn't want to watch that roster try to play baseball 162 times a year. Managers know what's at stake with the Cubs and it intrigues all of them. People want to be apart of it when it happens

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Why not ? Who looking for a manger now ?

Maybe he considering to take a yr off

He is 60 years old and a hot commodity. Several teams will want him. He won't take a year (or half year) off.

Renteria can be paid a nice parting gift, but if the Cubs have a shot now - at the perfect time - they can't pass it up. Not only is he a FAR superior manager to Renteria, he also gives the Cubs an inside shot at James Shields.

Get.
Him.
Now.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
kiss of death

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

Typically but usually GM's will make a statement that leaves some wiggle room. The Dodgers GM was very firm with what he said. If he then fires DM anyway, I hope the media asks him why he lied to everyone.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Well, JJ. It really looks that your initial thought on Maddon to the Cubs has more legs than some people think.

A source from inside the organization said an opportunity to hire Maddon would be welcomed – even if it would mean a fifth manager for the Cubs in six years and a likely reassignment of first-year manager Rick Renteria, who has two years left on his contract.

The Rays seem to believe enough in the Cubs’ interest – a year after their high-stakes, back-channel courting of the Yankees’ Joe Girardi – that ESPN’s Buster Olney reported the Rays intend to pursue a tampering investigation.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/3063...aid-to-have-mutual-interest.html#.VEua6vnF-Jo

Tampabear

Liked Posts:
Maddon would be great....if he can bring the pitching staff he has had the last 5 years with him. Three # 1 starters and a closer with an ERA under 1. Go back and look at who was favored to win the AL East this year.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Part of the deal with Maddon will probably bar him from changing the pitching and hitting coaching positions until after the 2015 season.

Maddon would also be wise to keep Hinske as assistant hitting coach as he was interviewed for the Yankees' hitting job.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
He would hire his former bench coach Dave Martinez as his first hire.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Part of the deal with Maddon will probably bar him from changing the pitching and hitting coaching positions until after the 2015 season.

Maddon would also be wise to keep Hinske as assistant hitting coach as he was interviewed for the Yankees' hitting job.

I'm happy with our pitching coach, and don't see a need to change. I know nothing about the hitting coach they just signed. But if they hire a new manager and the guy gets let go, so be it. I don't like to see anyone get a raw deal, but if it happens, pay him and say "sorry", and do what you really need to do.

You can't pass on a Joe Maddon for fear of hurting the feelings of a newly hired hitting coach with no resume.

I don't know whether Maddon brings along Davy Martinez. Seems Martinez would have a real good shot at taking over in TB. A year ago, we were hoping for Martinez to come to the Cubs because he learned under Maddon. Today we have a shot - a real good shot - at getting the mentor instead of the protege.

Get it done, Theo. Today! No delays. LAD is lurking. Beat them to this.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo and them wouldnt let a coach let go of Bosio. The guy has to be considered one of the best pitching coaches in the game. What he has done with some players is Dave Duncan esque. Also, no he is not Dave Duncan before someone tries to chime in. Im just saying he has done some pretty great things here with the talent he has had.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Theo and them wouldnt let a coach let go of Bosio. The guy has to be considered one of the best pitching coaches in the game. What he has done with some players is Dave Duncan esque. Also, no he is not Dave Duncan before someone tries to chime in. Im just saying he has done some pretty great things here with the talent he has had.

He's done more with less, yes. I like Bosio, very underrated and I'm glad he stuck around. Deer, Sveum, and Bosio were all Milwaukee guys if I recall.

But say Maddon wants to bring his guy Jim Hickey, another of the better regarded pitching coaches i nthe game along? Do you cut Bosio then?

That, and the organization would look pretty shitty if they shit-canned Mallee what, a month after hiring the guy at hitting coach for whoever Joe Maddon wants at hitting coach.

Though Maddon doesn't strike me as a guy who will come in and demand whatever he wants. He strikes me as a guy who wants the right situation with a team willing to spend and put it all together soon. Cubs benefit here. Good farm about to come up and lots of money to spend in a month or so. Hopefully.

And FWIW, Dave Righetti, Don Cooper, Mike Maddux, and Roger McDowell are the best pitching coaches in the MLB. Bosio not far behind.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
I would hope the Cubs keep their current staff outside, other than manager obviously, if Maddon is hired

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm happy with our pitching coach, and don't see a need to change. I know nothing about the hitting coach they just signed. But if they hire a new manager and the guy gets let go, so be it. I don't like to see anyone get a raw deal, but if it happens, pay him and say "sorry", and do what you really need to do.
Mallee is a native of Chicagoland, is the former hitting coach of the Marlins and his philosophy is a solid fit for the "organizational philosophy". Shelton isn't needed in Chicago.