2010/2011

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So you are saying balance is important? ;)

If you have the best of all time like Peyton or Brady, you can get away with it but it all comes down to a balanced attack. Dallas is proving it this year and Seattle and Philly proved it last year.

Having a productive running game keeps defenses honest and mitigates mistakes.
So what was Cutler's problem when he had that?

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
The 2011 Bears were by far the most balanced team I've seen the Bears field. I'm pretty sure that a healthy 2006 Bears would have used them as a play toy, but the 2011 team had a shitload of potential if they were as healthy as the 2010 team.

The 2011 team was better on offense, defense, and special teams than then the current club. Somewhat of an indictment of Emery that the team is worse in all three phases since the year he took over.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

If you have the best of all time like Peyton or Brady, you can get away with it but it all comes down to a balanced attack. Dallas is proving it this year and Seattle and Philly proved it last year.

I hope Trestman realizes that he needs to run the ball more, and take away the ability to audible out of runs if Cutler keeps doing so.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Here's what I always thought.

1. Martz's offense wasn't sustainable because it gets the QB hurt. Bears offensive line was terrible and Cutler got killed. Draft or sign better offensive lineman? Martz will score more points but will still get the QB hit at an unsustainable rate. Historically, his QBs always get hit regardless of talent on the offensive line.

2. Martz "intervention" had to happen every year he was here. He would only change temporarily

3. Martz was not flexible. He was so unwilling to adapt to the Bears talent on offense that he forced their GM to trade their best receiver because he happened to be a tight end. In a time where tight end numbers everywhere were blowing up, Martz would not have had to look very far to come up with some ideas on how to get Greg Olsen the ball.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't give a shit anymore, Cutler is terrible long term and he's not going to improve anymore than he already has. A small tinker here and there with a system will only provide marginal results. He is who we thought he was!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good thread, but no Martz was not better for this team than Trestman. The problems with this team isn't Trestman. The problem is sadly with the QB making bad decisions and inaccurate throws.

It seems to me that when Cutler scans the defense at the line he's predetermining where he's going to go based on the look he sees presnap vs our formations and isn't adjusting correctly to what the defense actually does post snap. Like the opposing CB's have been saying recently they're wise to our formation tendencies so they're now sitting back in zone defenses and jumping routes.

Cutler needs to do a better job of reading what the defense is doing post snap and stop being baited into easy INTs due to his forcing the ball to predetermined players. The INT last week could of been avoided had he simply not forced the ball to Marty because he thought he'd be open for an easy completion based on the coverage he saw presnap and instead gone threw his progressions to someone else.

Trestman isn't completely blameless though, he also needs to adjust on his end and further evolve his gameplans as teams are obviously getting wise to our formations and tendencies. If defenses want to sit back in zone and jump routes then run the ball more and incorporate more double move into the gameplans so you can make teams pay. They'll play honest once they burn a few people deep.

Bottom line asking Cutler to play like Peyton Manning leading a pass first offense trying to read and play mental chess with defenses isn't an ideal match. It's asking for trouble having him pass that much. IMO he's best served in a balanced offense that is run oriented and can actually sell playaction. Obviously his results under Martz showed this once they dialed down Martz's madness and made him stop being Special person with his playcalling. Trestman could easily get similar improvements doing the same thing.

Last edited:

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, as others have said, we gotta get balanced. Theres nothing wrong with running the ball and playing field position.

Winning ugly is better than losing.

Bears1985defense

Liked Posts:
Here's what I always thought.

1. Martz's offense wasn't sustainable because it gets the QB hurt. Bears offensive line was terrible and Cutler got killed. Draft or sign better offensive lineman? Martz will score more points but will still get the QB hit at an unsustainable rate. Historically, his QBs always get hit regardless of talent on the offensive line.

2. Martz "intervention" had to happen every year he was here. He would only change temporarily

3. Martz was not flexible. He was so unwilling to adapt to the Bears talent on offense that he forced their GM to trade their best receiver because he happened to be a tight end. In a time where tight end numbers everywhere were blowing up, Martz would not have had to look very far to come up with some ideas on how to get Greg Olsen the ball.

Exactamundo.

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
I may be wrong, but I think it would really loosen up opposing D's if Cutler would run it more. Drop back…middle of the field wide open for the next 10 yards or so…run it and slide. LB's and secondary would have to be more alert, and the D ends couldn't just pin their ears back and rush a stationary passer over and over. I don't have the All-22 Film thing, so it may not always be there. Watching on TV, it sure seems like it is.

Then again, I don't understand why Jay doesn't ever do variable hard count calls to get the D-Line off balance/maybe draw an offsides, why we don't do more periodic hurry up offense, why we don't mix up what the D is running a lot more, and so on. When the opposition can always tell what you're doing to do on both sides of the ball, it makes it a lot more easy to attack you.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I hope Trestman realizes that he needs to run the ball more, and take away the ability to audible out of runs if Cutler keeps doing so.

He knows it. NE is ranked towards the bottom (27th-ish) against the run.

They have to sustain long drives and keep Brady on the sidelines.

I think the problem is first down. Forte up the gut for one yard. Second down incompletion or 4 yard pass. Mills penalty. Now 3rd and 9 and passing down.

Running and balance is critical - but they MUST have success on first down.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I seem to remember the Martz era being good when we tried to throw the ball 90% of the time, then got owned, then turned to Forte and started playing with some balance and winning.

Let's see some of that on Sunday!

malcore

What happened to Trestman's up-tempo offense? I said it a few weeks ago that Cutler doing a Manning impression at the line is very nerve-racking. Pick up the pace again.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The benefit is Martz had someone OVER him on the football field to say.. heck don't stick to your guns and be flexiable/change... Trestman has nobody over him when it comes to football field. That's a less beneficial scenario in my book.

Sent from my 20CDCTO1WW using Tapatalk

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:

Yep and this is howwe should attack every team from here on out. Cutler isn't elite but he can be a game manager. I feel his best games outlets when he throw for under 300 yards.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
Just for the hell of it, if these periods of time had actually been a season, here's how it would have looked .....

vs Vikings (W) 27-13
@ Dolphins (W) 16-0
vs Eagles (W) 31-26
@ Lions (W) 24-20
vs Patriots (L) 7-36
@ Vikings (W) 40-14 (end of Favre career)
vs Jets (W) 38-34
@ Packers (L) 3-10
vs Packers (L) 17-27
vs Panthers (W) 34-29
@ Lions (L) 13-24
vs Vikings (W) 39-10
@ Buccaneers (W) 24-18 (London)
@ Eagles (W) 30-24
vs Lions (W) 37-13
vs Chargers (W) 31-20

How many good teams did we play in that stretch? 4? And lost to all of them?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This stems from a discussion that was in the Cutler subforum, but I wanted to raise it here, partly because it will open it up to more discussion since a lot of people avoid that place, and partly because this is really about the Martz offense compared with Trestman, rather than Cutler specifically.

I was looking at the final 8 games of the 2010 season and the last 8 games leading up to Cutler's injury in 2011 (which is the 8 games up to and including the Chargers game). Here is what I found.

If you combine these two 8-game stretches into one full season, Cutler was 274 of 458 for 3,366 yards, 27td, 15int, passer rating of 88.6.

Going by the numbers alone, it doesn't seem that impressive, but the reason the rating isn't higher is because the yardage was fairly pedestrian. However, he was very efficient. He didn't NEED to throw for 300ypg because they were playing balanced, efficient football.

The +12 TD/INT differential is better than he's had in any single year of his career.

A big part of the reason for him being able to play quality over quantity was because the running game was good. Forte had 293 carries for 1,477 yards, which is 5.04 ypc. But again, this is quality over quantity - it's only 18.3 carries per game (not much different that he seems to be getting with Trestman).

I would argue that this is when Cutler has played his best football, the running game was at it's most efficient, and generally the team was at it's best since the Cutler trade.

The Bears scored 411 points (25.7 ppg) and allowed 318 points (19.9 ppg). More importantly, the record of the team was 12-4.

It seems to me that these periods of time were probably when the Bears as a team and Cutler as a player have been at their best since we signed him.

So, was Martz better than Trestman for this team?

That depends. Did Martz coach the D too?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I sure as shit am not looking forward to this game if Tucker employs the same base defense that he did against Miami. YOu know the defense that allowed a pedestrian quarterback to light them up. Brady has to be licking his chops.