Jones starting at Will sunday

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Bears turn to undrafted rookie as linebackers' injuries continue

chicago Bears defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said earlier this week that linebacker Christian Jones was used in the fourth quarter of last Sunday’s loss to the Miami Dolphins because the team wanted to see more from him.

The Bears will continue along that path this Sunday at New England as Jones will start against the Patriots, replacing Khaseem Greene who had been starting in place of the injured Lance Briggs. The Bears are expected to be without Briggs (ribs) and Jon Bostic (back). Briggs is expected to return for the Nov. 9 game at Green Bay following the bye.

Greene, who started on the weak side the last two weeks, struggled in the loss to the Dolphins but Tucker did not single him out. He looked slow attempting to cover tight end Charles Clay and misread one play that resulted in a 15-yard check down from quarterback Ryan Tannehill to running back Lamar Mills. Greene was running the opposite direction with his back to the play when Miller caught the ball in open space.

“You know we play a lot of guys,” Tucker said Wednesday. “And Christian, obviously we like when he’s on the field. Khaseem didn’t play a perfect game. I don’t think any of us did and we all need to get better but we feel good with the group that we have, and we’ll continue to compete and practice and then we’ll see how the lineup shakes out for this weekend.”

The Bears will likely have D.J. Williams with the base defense at middle linebacker with Darryl Sharpton replacing him in the nickel. Shea McClellin will start on the strong side. The Bears have already used five different starting combinations at linebacker with their top four all missing time to injuries already. Jones started on the strong side in the Week 6 victory at Atlanta.

“I have been playing will in nickel some,” said Jones, an undrafted rookie from Florida State. “I am familiar with it. This week I have been prepping for it and been getting coached real well by Coach Reggie (Herring) and Coach Tucker. Those guys don’t let me slack. I think I will be prepared for this week.”

It’s going to be a challenge facing Tom Brady and the Patriots, who have a finely tuned intermediate passing game. Jones has played well in man assignments but the Bears have been working with him to be better in zone recognition and coverage.

“It is a great opportunity for me and right now I am just doing what I can to try to help out the team,” said Jones, who has 12 sacks and two quarterback pressures. “Credit goes to the older guys and they have been making me feel comfortable out there. They have been helping me out with confusing stuff and I have been getting a lot of positive feedback.”

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ears-linebackers-injuries-20141024-story.html

pyro4ik

Liked Posts:
FSU fan here; dude was awesome in college at least...

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Jones is very talented so lets hope he does well and continues to improve

jc456

Liked Posts:
again the bears coaching showing no logic at all.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
The DJ and Shay show this week?

Liked Posts:
When Briggs and Bostic come back I would like to see Jones replace Shea, and Bostic/Sharpton play the middle. Obviously, Brigss will take his spot back. That is probably their best chance for success at linebacker.

geneatals

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
run the ATL game LB squad...just sayin..that was our best LB core performance this year IMO and none of them were our starters

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
I have no idea why DJ Williams and Shea Mc are seeing the field.

That said, Trestman is under fire and has a VERY good shot at going 3-6. I'd bet the leash is very short. One bad series and they are on the bench. Trestman can't make that same mistake again.

It will be exposed quickly. If Bears win and defer, NE gets the ball and we'll quickly see Brady carving up the middle of the field with Gronk and Wright. They'll march down and score. Gronk will spike the ball, mutter something incomprehensible and then go to Tilted Kilt while the Bears are on offense. For 3 plays.