My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
When I was a kid we didn't have much money, but my dad found a way to take me to one game at Wrigley each year. The tickets were always for standing room only (3rd base side). It was always in late November when people didnt want their tickets so it was cold. In standing room only you were the wind brace for the fans with real seats

One Thursday he come home and says that someone gave him tickets to the SF game on Sunday and they were actual seats!!! Holy shit we were going to sit during the game. Sunday comes and it's cold and rainy but through some miracle we are in the first row 45 yard line. Only time we ever sat. It was the SF game Sayers scored 6 TDs

[video=youtube;DTRv-CfAsMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTRv-CfAsMU[/video]

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And then years later he turned into a bitter asshole. Cute story.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
that sounds like you

Naz

Liked Posts:
I still remember that game also although I only heard it on the radio. My dad managed to score tix for a game at Wrigley, got to see Butkus and Sayers play and Sayers returned a kick-off for a td. Great experience.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sayers is not a bitter asshole

As much as Peyton is a terrible quarterback.

I recall reading about the Sayers performance in grade school. According to the book the coach wouldn't let him play on offense after 5. Just returns. And he did it. I was pretty impressed with him in grade school. Then I grew up and was less impressed by his short career. Then I heard him give a tribute to Walter Payton which consisted of him elaborating about how much better he was than Walter.

Not bitter :)

Naz

Liked Posts:
As much as Peyton is a terrible quarterback.

I recall reading about the Sayers performance in grade school. According to the book the coach wouldn't let him play on offense after 5. Just returns. And he did it. I was pretty impressed with him in grade school. Then I grew up and was less impressed by his short career. Then I heard him give a tribute to Walter Payton which consisted of him elaborating about how much better he was than Walter.

Not bitter :)

He had incredible talent. I think he was better than Barry Sanders in running ability. After his knee blew out, he had primitive surgery to repair massive damage. He ran for 1000 yards on heart after rehabbing. It's why he's in the Hall with so few (relatively) rushing yards.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had incredible talent. I think he was better than Barry Sanders in running ability. After his knee blew out, he had primitive surgery to repair massive damage. He ran for 1000 yards on heart after rehabbing. It's why he's in the Hall with so few (relatively) rushing yards.

I don't doubt his greatness. I only know his play from books and highlights. I know the highlights don't generally have him running away from the line of scrimmage.

Liked Posts:
9e2fa2235490237715b2a64916e981b77f3c35e4a23576e755857b9473385f1a.jpg

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yea.

I remember that game. Everybody pretended they were Sayers when they got the football on the boulevard after that.

I also remember when Sayers got hit in the knee against SF. Very good after, but never the same........

eirebob

Liked Posts:
Thanks, Omeletpants, for reviving my memory of this game. I was also at the game with my dad: I was 14. We had tickets for one game a year ... same seats, third base mezzanine, about the 40 yard line. Ironically, I was also at the game a couple years later (?) when he broke his leg (also against the 49ers?).
He was such an amazing runner, a free, coltish gait that had never been seen before in the game, and perhaps never since, which is why those that saw him in person will never forget.
Another reason I'll never forget the Bears at Wrigley is that a few rows ahead of us, a couple old regulars would light up stogies at some point in the second quarter, and the scent would waft up to us for the rest of the game. The smell would often permeate into our clothes. We'd arrive home, and my mom would sniff at us in horror, as if my dad had taken me to some dive bar instead of the ball game.
So, in later years, when some old dude would light up a stogie, say at the golf course (hopefully at least an acre or two from any nearby womenfolk), my thoughts would run to Wrigley and the Bears.
And it is ironic that my most intimate memories of Wrigley involve the Bears, not the Cubs.

Of course, it also means that I'm getting pretty ancient.

SmellyFoot

Liked Posts:
Any teenage memories that you can share about Bronco and Grange? You don't hear much about them and youtube is lacking here. Hearing a first hand account would be pretty awesome.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
But what would his stats be in today's game and how much better would that make the Bears?

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sayers doesn't get hurt, we probably don't draft Walter Payton. Sayers didn't have a ton of mileage and it would have been his 10th season at 32 years of age

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Any teenage memories that you can share about Bronco and Grange? You don't hear much about them and youtube is lacking here. Hearing a first hand account would be pretty awesome.
Fuckery from shit for brains

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But what would his stats be in today's game and how much better would that make the Bears?

HE appeared to be way ahead of his time....fluid, quick and great(phenomenal) straight ahead speed

[video=youtube;vNy7SvrLE9w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNy7SvrLE9w[/video]

Last edited:

Nitschke

Liked Posts:
I remember that day like it was last week. Where I was, who I was with and what I thought about it. It stuck hard in the brain. The single greatest day a football player ever had. It was a very big deal to every football fan when it happened. I'm still in awe of what he did and I'm a Packer fan.