This sucks!!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy has received a huge seven-year contract extension, according to Jay Glazer of FOX Sports. That report suggested the deal was for "close to $100 million" and Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network confirmed that with his own report, saying that it is worth $98 million with $51.5 million guaranteed.

McCoy had one year remaining on a five-year, $55 million contract he signed in 2010. McCoy was already making a base salary of almost $13 million this season, which ranked him atop the league in that regard, just above Detroit Lions tackle Ndamukong Suh and far above the next three in Haloti Ngata of the Baltimore Ravens, Ahtyba Rubin of the Cleveland Browns and Brandon Mebane of the Seattle Seahawks.

The defensive tackle market for the 2015 offseason is drying up considerably. As noted by Greg Linton, there would be only five unrestricted free agent defensive tackles under the age of 30 this year: Suh, Nick Fairley, Jared Odrick, Corey Peters and C.J. Wilson. All of those players will be looking to get paid handsomely.

McCoy, a Tampa Bay team captain, has 20.5 sacks and three forced fumbles since entering the league as a first-round pick in 2010.

We could have afforded this much. I think.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Ok?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
The play at Dt by Paea, Ratliff, Ego and Sutton have been the brightest spot on defense, so don't know that it's that big of a deal. Now if we missed out on an available Luke Keuchley that would suck.

FrankieLyrical

South Side Chicagoan
Liked Posts:
EPYxue9.gif

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk if I would have wanted McCoy for that much. He's good, but c'mon. We have multiple needs. Signing one guy for that much would make us unable to improve the team's other needs.

Unless that one guy was a HUGE difference maker. Clearly with Tampa's struggles, even defensively, I don't think you can call McCoy a HUGE difference maker.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
This sucks that someone would post this in the Bears forum when it clearly has nothing to do with Bears football.

I declare a soccer ban.

shark-pooping.gif

BringBackDitka54

Liked Posts:
Our DTs are pretty dang good, and should be good for the next decade. Gotta focus on safeties and linebackers.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
if i'm the bears i'm focusing on linebackers and secondary this off-season. not that i would pass on elite talent along the d-line but i think the bears are actually pretty good up front. would rather they look in the draft for lineman though.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
They already got burned on one $100 M deal, the 2nd one has to work out better right?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somebody should be banned. It's Monk's turn.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They already got burned on one $100 M deal, the 2nd one has to work out better right?

Which was the other?

If you mean Revis, then they didn't get burned there. It wasn't a guaranteed contract. Low risk, high reward.