CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I thought this was an interesting quote from Guillen in a ST article, which regarded something else for the most part.

And the more analytics-leaning young managers are hired by advanced-metrics-minded executives, the fewer opportunities there seem to be for old-school player managers such as Guillen.

“You look at Sabermetrics, and look at who’s in the World Series right now,” Guillen said of the San Francisco Giants’ Bruce Bochy and the Kansas City Royals’ Ned Yost. “Two veteran [old-school] managers. I believe in Sabermetrics. But when the game starts, you can’t control the Sabermetrics. Guys are going to pitch, and guys are going to hit.”

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/3065...ch-for-joe-maddon-with-cubs.html#.VE0PmfnF-Jo

Perhaps it's just the long version of the saying "that's why you don't play the game on paper."

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The problem here is selection bias. The red sox are a well known saber organization and won last year.

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm sure Farrell consulted a computer for every move he made last season.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought this was an interesting quote from Guillen in a ST article, which regarded something else for the most part.

Perhaps it's just the long version of the saying "that's why you don't play the game on paper."

guillen is right for once.

Sent from My 1998 Palm Pilot Using Tapatalk

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Any Saber worth a shit knows their numbers arent everything especially when it comes to evaluating talent. We have the technology and ability to follow everything. To just choose one side or another is foolish when both are at your fingertips.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Any Saber worth a shit knows their numbers arent everything especially when it comes to evaluating talent. We have the technology and ability to follow everything. To just choose one side or another is foolish when both are at your fingertips.

Absolutely. It has to be a balance.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would use saber to evaluate talent. Like BB ratios, wOBA etc. Pitching Fip is a better toll for measuring results.

But that is a result of the hard work these guys put in and the hard work comes from old school methods.

You need both. But old school is more real time and saber is a evaluating tool.