C: Soto
1B: Carlos Pena
2B: Theriot
SS: Castro
3B: Ramirez
LF: Soriano
CF: Byrd
RF: Fukudome
SP: Zambrano, Lilly, Dempster, Wells, Silva, Gorzelanny (not sure if Z stays in pen)

Not much that can be changed, just 1B, SP (lilly or no Lilly), and possibly 3B can be changed.

But that still looks like a good team, if the bullpen is improved, and they could sign Calero and call up Diamond for that.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont see Lilly coming back, I would rather we wait til 2012 and try and sign A-Gon, or make a trade for him this year. With how Ramirez is playing he will most likely be back now I cant see him opting out. We wont bring back all 6 SP, I dont think Lilly will be resigned, I imagine he is traded sometime in late June or July. Fukudome might be gone as well to make room for Colvin.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Fukudome has a no-trade clause, I see him playing this year and next before being allowed to walk. I think they could also trade Gorz or Silva, because Cliff Lee is a free agent, and would be a nice pickup. If they traded Theriot, which I really hope they don't, Orlando Hudson is a free agent.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
boys they are goin to go young if they fail to make playoffs this year. theywill NOT sign big time free agents.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
boys they are goin to go young if they fail to make playoffs this year. theywill NOT sign big time free agents.

I agree. I don't see them signing any big time free agents for awhile with the long term contracts we have. I'd like to see Vitters moved to first until A-Rams contract is done. And Cashner should get another shot to see what he can do in ST considering he is doing pretty well right now in the minors.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I think they will simply to please the fans. We have no 'outstanding' 1B prospects, so we don't have much to call up for 1B. They have money, so why not sign a big name player who will produce, but also tutor the youngsters?

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Well with Soriano, Fukudome, and Zambrano on the hook for close to $40 million next year I doubt they will sign a big name player. No one knows how Ricketts is going to play this right now.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I know, but since no one knows, that's why I posted this.

USCChiFan

Crow's Nest
Donator
Liked Posts:
I agree. I don't see them signing any big time free agents for awhile with the long term contracts we have. I'd like to see Vitters moved to first until A-Rams contract is done. And Cashner should get another shot to see what he can do in ST considering he is doing pretty well right now in the minors.
Why? Vitters is only improving as a hitter and defender, and suddenly moving him to 1st will stunt his development.

CarlosSilva

Liked Posts:
Pena would be nice but I would prefer Dunn and an above
average starter

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Hmmm... Dunn has power, but can you think of going from Lee's Defense to Dunn's? And Dunn's AVG isn't too high.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hmmm... Dunn has power, but can you think of going from Lee's Defense to Dunn's? And Dunn's AVG isn't too high.

But his OBP is fantastic.

Regardless I want Dunn no where near this team, because he should never ever be allowed to wear a glove.

Dunns bat would be nice but its not worth the defense.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
Why? Vitters is only improving as a hitter and defender, and suddenly moving him to 1st will stunt his development.

It was just a thought. I don't see Lee coming back next year. As much as I would like to see him keep wearing a Cubs uniform I don't see it happening. I personally think the team is going to try to get younger. We have a lot of decent prospects in the minors.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I forgot we do have Bryan LaHair, he would be a .285+ hitter with about 15-20 HR's a year. Considering his minor league stats. Not sure how he would do in the majors though. He really isn't even a top prospect.

I don't know where Lefty gets his stats from but I would like to hear what he has to say about LaHair. And to prove me wrong about him lol.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Derrek Lee is spelt wrong in your sig, unless you purposely did that.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I stole it from Cutsizzle. And I didn't notice it until you just now said something. Dammit, I am gonna remove it.

Elmhurst Steve

Liked Posts:
Vitters is still at A level and not near ready for the majors. Plus with the way Ramirez is struggling, it's highly unlikely he will opt out of the remaining years on his contract (he has an out-clause) so they are stuck with him a couple more years. Derek Lee and his 14 million will be gone. Whether or not they will look to sign a free agent or use a Nady/Hoffpauir platoon at 1st next season, remains to be seen. I think Nady was just on a 1 year deal, so it's not at all certain he would be returning either. But at his age, I doubt they will look to re-sign Lee, unless he agreed to a short term deal for less than the 14 million he currently is paid. Lilly will be a Free Agent and I do see them offering him a new deal. Whether another team offers more though, is the question. If they could trade Zambrano for a case of baseballs, it would be great, just to free up the salary. But he's making a lot and has a full no-trade, so thats probably wishful thinking. I agree with the poster who mentioned Cliff lee. He would be a great addition. if they could get him and allow Lilly to go, thats a swap I would agree with. To have both would be nice, but not likely. Bullpen help is what this team needs most, so thats what I hope they focus on this winter.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I forgot we do have Bryan LaHair, he would be a .285+ hitter with about 15-20 HR's a year. Considering his minor league stats. Not sure how he would do in the majors though. He really isn't even a top prospect.

I don't know where Lefty gets his stats from but I would like to hear what he has to say about LaHair. And to prove me wrong about him lol.

CHONE projected him as a 260/324/443 with 18 dongs in 472 PA.

So decent, but projects him as negative defense, and overall only worth .7 WAR.

CubbieBlue

Go Cubs Go!
Liked Posts:
I don't see Ramirez opting out of his contract either. Nady is on a one year deal so he won't return. I see someone paying a ridiculous price for him. Hoffpauir isn't an every day player so I doubt he would be our first baseman.

I'm on the fence with Lilly. I would like to see him stay for a 2 or 3 year contract, but if he left I wouldn't be upset. I doubt Lee will be signed by the Cubs. The price he is going to command on the open market will be ridiculous and not worth it. Let one of the AL East teams over pay for him.

The bullpen is young and will hopefully get better as the year goes on and they get some experience under their belts. Although one or two good bullpen vets won't hurt. Kind of wish they had only signed Grabow to a one year deal and not a two year deal. I loved the fact they signed him when they did, but in hindsight it's not such a good deal.