OT: Sox call it a season

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
The Chicago White Sox look to be throwing in the towel.

The team distributed a memo to a number of teams in the league on Monday informing them that some Chicago veterans are available in trade, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Names on that list include designated hitter Jim Thome, outfielder Jermaine Dye and reliever Scott Linebrink.

After being swept by the Yankees in New York over the weekend, the White Sox entered Monday's action with a 64-67 record and were 5½ games behind the Tigers in the AL Central.

Players must be acquired by midnight ET on Monday to be eligible for postseason play with their new team.

Thome is batting .252 with 23 homers and 74 RBIs in his fourth season in Chicago. The five-time All-Star is 12th on the all-time home run list with 564.

Dye, who is in the final year of his contract, became expendable when the White Sox claimed Alex Rios on waivers from the Blue Jays. Dye is hitting .262 with 25 homers and 72 RBIs.

Linebrink is in his second season with the White Sox, and the right-hander is 3-6 with a 3.94 ERA in 48 appearances.

Why make the Peavy trade than? I dont see him getting along with Guillen when healthy plus a NL pitcher going to the AL :dry:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You aboslutely make the Peavy trade regardless of where the team is.

That said, they have basically fallen apart. They unfortuantely play the hardest schedule the second half in all of baseball. It's nice to know it is over.

After Thursday, Chicago can focus on the Bears.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
This is nothing, Reinsdorf did this before, earlier in the year about 12 years or so ago when the Sox were 2.5 games behind Cleveland. So his condoning this is not a surprise. I believe Kenny Williams was working Under Ron Scheuler (did I spell that right?) at the time. I trust Williams more than any other GM in the city. He has a strong farm system and the team has a pretty good future.

The Sox are going to let a lot of money go this offseason and should have plenty of money to spend. Peavy is for the future as well as for now. You will have Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, and Peavy for the future. That is a very nice rotation. Again, they can trade/buy the power they need and let their farm system supply them with talent. I think the Sox will be fine.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
brett05 wrote:

That said, they have basically fallen apart. They unfortuantely play the hardest schedule the second half in all of baseball. It's nice to know it is over.

This team wasn't that good to begin w/, I heard last week that they have played the easiest schedule in the majors and they're under .500 and its going to get worse.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They did have the easiest schedule when they were 5 or so games over .500, but then his the hardest schedule as of the last two weeks.

Again, it's Bear time. Hopefully we won't ahve to abandom them before the Bulls season starts.

fola

Liked Posts:
brett05 wrote:

Totally agree. This group had a good run. I wish them all the best. That said, it was time. Kenny took his shot and the team just couldnt come together quick enough. Having had a couple conversations with him (kenny) I know he's always looking toward the future. I'm incredibly excited to see what he does this off season and how we do next year. But for now, my sports eye is slowly shifting towards the Bears, although i'll be watching to see what the 'kids' do.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Peavy makes major money, getting older, and making a move from the minors (NL) to the majors (AL). I dont like the move.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
brett05 wrote:
They did have the easiest schedule when they were 5 or so games over .500, but then his the hardest schedule as of the last two weeks.

Again, it's Bear time. Hopefully we won't ahve to abandom them before the Bulls season starts.

I don't expect to call it quites on the Bears till late January or after the Super Bowl victory,

BEAR DOWN!, CHICAGO BEARS!

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
This is nothing, Reinsdorf did this before, earlier in the year about 12 years or so ago when the Sox were 2.5 games behind Cleveland. So his condoning this is not a surprise. I believe Kenny Williams was working Under Ron Scheuler (did I spell that right?) at the time. I trust Williams more than any other GM in the city. He has a strong farm system and the team has a pretty good future.

The Sox are going to let a lot of money go this offseason and should have plenty of money to spend. Peavy is for the future as well as for now. You will have Buerhle, Danks, Floyd, and Peavy for the future. That is a very nice rotation. Again, they can trade/buy the power they need and let their farm system supply them with talent. I think the Sox will be fine.

I don't know where you've been, but other than Beckham, who's already on the major league team, the Sox really have NO farm system. They have traded the majority of their top prospects the last 3 seasons. Rios will now have a spot, which is good, & Peavey is still under contract so who cares if he plays this year anyway. The Sox need to get better defensively because they are atrocious as currently constructed, especially in the OF.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I don't know where you've been, but other than Beckham, who's already on the major league team, the Sox really have NO farm system. They have traded the majority of their top prospects the last 3 seasons. Rios will now have a spot, which is good, & Peavey is still under contract so who cares if he plays this year anyway. The Sox need to get better defensively because they are atrocious as currently constructed, especially in the OF.

I have been here in Chicago, in Roseland/Washington Heights, where you been?

The Sox have Tyler Flowers, a player they got preseason in a trade, 3B Viciedo, and the best of them all might be the draft pick they got this year. The farm system has improved immensely over the last few years. They have traded pitching prospects, Poreda and Richard, but starting pitching is not an issue with this team. They have prospects in the OF too, including Danks' brother. Just about every publication has suggested that the White Sox Farm systems are on their way up. I think that is accurate.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
Peavy makes major money, getting older, and making a move from the minors (NL) to the majors (AL). I dont like the move.

Stick with something other then Baseball.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Stick with something other then Baseball.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Newskool, those are rehab starts, happens all the time in baseball. He is in the minors trying to get himself better physically. His skills have not eroded.