My Thoughts on the Bears

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tucker should have been fired on the spot when Gronk was covered one on one by Shea.

dakbear

Liked Posts:
I am usually against firing coaches mid season, but I would have been ok with Tucker being fired. Send a message. The Monday night game was interesting to me-Washington dialed up blitz after blitz against the Cowboys and it ultimately won the game for them. Is there anybody here reading theses words who thinks that Tucker could prepare a game plan like that and actually have the players execute it.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
As you've pointed out, you're left with aging/injured vets and first/second year players mixed with having to overpay for FA's. Thankfully it appears that Emery is starting to restock this team with drafted players contributing.
That's kind of a red herring though. These young guys are being forced into action because of injuries. Christian Jones, Khaseem Greene, Brock Vereen, etc are pretty much playing only because the players ahead of them are old and/or bad. The only guys Emery has drafted that have really "won" a job are Long and Jeffery. Hell, even Fuller wasn't starting over Tim Jennings until Tillman got hurt. Which is nice but let's pump the brakes on saying Emery is restocking this team because some rookies are playing because Tillman, Briggs, Conte, DJ Williams, etc are getting hurt or starting to suck. Those guys are playing because they are "next man in" on the depth chart.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If we were 5-3 instead of 3-5, would people be all over this leadership shit? I think not. People grasping at straws too much.

But were not 5-3.

We are 3-5 and we get shit kicked by good teams and shit kicked at home.

The leadership thing is real. This team is spiralling downwards and no one seems ae to stop it.

I would not mention leadership if we had not suffered 4 brutal loses in 7 games.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
But were not 5-3.

The leadership thing is real. This team is spiralling downwards and no one seems ae to stop it.

I would not mention leadership if we had not suffered 4 brutal loses in 7 games.

What type of ''leadership'' are you talking about? Some rah-rah shit like Ray Lewis? Speeches, headbutts? Certain individuals speaking up in meetings trying to lead their position group? Exactly what are you looking for?

You're reaching for anything to try and make sense of all this. In my opinion, it's just a storm that we have to weather.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
But were not 5-3.

We aren't getting shit-kicked at home and we beat the niners at their place. I'm not trying to say all is well here because it's not but it's not like we are the jets here.

I think Emerys point about going with younger players on ST to develop the young guys and not sign vet guys is something of importance that isn't getting talked about enough on the entire team level. The reason this team lacks some leadership player wise is because the guys who are should be the leaders after being drafted and developed by the bears heading into their prime years ready to assume leadership are FA signings because the shit drafts from 2007-2012. So now your leaders are either old vets who can't stay on the field or young guys still trying to find their way as rookies or second year guys.

I've said this before but there are a handful of young guys who I think could and should assume leadership roles starting next year when Briggs and Tillman are probably gone and the "old guard" so to speak is officially off the team.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
We aren't getting shit-kicked at home and we beat the niners at their place. I'm not trying to say all is well here because it's not but it's not like we are the jets here.

I think Emerys point about going with younger players on ST to develop the young guys and not sign vet guys is something of importance that isn't getting talked about enough on the entire team level. The reason this team lacks some leadership player wise is because the guys who are should be the leaders after being drafted and developed by the bears heading into their prime years ready to assume leadership are FA signings because the shit drafts from 2007-2012. So now your leaders are either old vets who can't stay on the field or young guys still trying to find their way as rookies or second year guys.

I've said this before but there are a handful of young guys who I think could and should assume leadership roles starting next year when Briggs and Tillman are probably gone and the "old guard" so to speak is officially off the team.

That seems to be working out nicely.

:lol:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What type of ''leadership'' are you talking about? Some rah-rah shit like Ray Lewis? Speeches, headbutts? Certain individuals speaking up in meetings trying to lead their position group? Exactly what are you looking for?

You're reaching for anything to try and make sense of all this. In my opinion, it's just a storm that we have to weather.

I am not talking Ray Lewis stuff.

I mean guys who will play up to their ability when the storm hits. Guys who will rally their position group around them in the storm. I mean guys that will inspire confidence during the storm.

Trestman not getting the best from his guys is a leadership issue.

When a team does not live up to their talent level across the board it is bigger than a talent issue.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

38-17 shitkicking

27-14 to the DOLPHINS is a shitkicking

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not talking Ray Lewis stuff.

I mean guys who will play up to their ability when the storm hits. Guys who will rally their position group around them in the storm. I mean guys that will inspire confidence during the storm.

Trestman not getting the best from his guys is a leadership issue.

When a team does not live up to their talent level across the board it is bigger than a talent issue.

Trestman reminds me of a dickless Phil Jackson.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's kind of a red herring though. These young guys are being forced into action because of injuries. Christian Jones, Khaseem Greene, Brock Vereen, etc are pretty much playing only because the players ahead of them are old and/or bad. The only guys Emery has drafted that have really "won" a job are Long and Jeffery. Hell, even Fuller wasn't starting over Tim Jennings until Tillman got hurt. Which is nice but let's pump the brakes on saying Emery is restocking this team because some rookies are playing because Tillman, Briggs, Conte, DJ Williams, etc are getting hurt or starting to suck. Those guys are playing because they are "next man in" on the depth chart.

I think you could add Bostic and Mills to the list, neither has been a homerun, but both have given the Bears starts.

In my world I have seen serious flashes from Ego and Sutton that they will be players for the Bears.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think you could add Bostic
Bostic only really has because of injuries.

Mills to the list
Mills was kind of the dfacto starter last year at RT because he beat out JaMarcus Webb.

In my world I have seen serious flashes from Ego and Sutton that they will be players for the Bears.
I like both those kids too but my issue is ASU saying that proof of Emery restocking is "young guys contributing"...well who the hell else is going to contribute with all the injuries to the vets? He can't in one post say that injuries to older players have been an issue but then at the same time act as though these young guys playing due to really nothing more than injuries to old or bad players is a sign of "restocking" taking place.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good summary in OP...

as you pointed out in one of your key points, BAD DRAFTING... to me that is the root cause of all of this. It starts and ends with drafting and developing your guys. You dont see the Packers or Niners blowing up free agency every year to fill holes all over thier team. The history is there, its proved it doesnt usualy work aside from the rare moves like Peyton Manning to Denver type stuff. You have to build through the draft, and the lack of doing so has set the Bears back years, and quite possibly 2 coaching regimes' possibly even a 2 GM's if Phil cannot right the ship.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bostic only really has because of injuries.

Mills was kind of the dfacto starter last year at RT because he beat out JaMarcus Webb.

I like both those kids too but my issue is ASU saying that proof of Emery restocking is "young guys contributing"...well who the hell else is going to contribute with all the injuries to the vets? He can't in one post say that injuries to older players have been an issue but then at the same time act as though these young guys playing due to really nothing more than injuries to old or bad players is a sign of "restocking" taking place.

I believe that old guys are hurting the Bears.

I also believe we have more young talent than we have in the past.

Do you think Emery's last 2 drafts have not been good?
Do you not see a solid number of players that will be contributors?
Do you not agree that he has found 3 elite players? [Long, Jeffery, Fuller]

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I believe that old guys are hurting the Bears.

I also believe we have more young talent than we have in the past.

Do you think Emery's last 2 drafts have not been good?
Do you not see a solid number of players that will be contributors?
Do you not agree that he has found 3 elite players? [Long, Jeffery, Fuller]

1. 2013's draft is average. Depends if Long moves out to tackle at some point. I like Mills but other than that none of those guys have shown me anything to prove they are long term NFL starters. 2014 WAY too early to judge although I like Fuller, Sutton, and Ferguson in general

2. No. 2012's draft was a bomb. 2013's see above, 2014's see above.

3. No. Although depends how you define elite.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. 2013's draft is average. Depends if Long moves out to tackle at some point. I like Mills but other than that none of those guys have shown me anything to prove they are long term NFL starters. 2014 WAY too early to judge although I like Fuller, Sutton, and Ferguson in general

2. No. 2012's draft was a bomb. 2013's see above, 2014's see above.

3. No. Although depends how you define elite.

1. I think that most GMs would be very happy with what has been shown by the 2013 Draft and what has been flashed, granted in a small sample size, from the 2104 draft.

2. 2012, Agree

2013, 1 Pro Bowler OG
1 Starting LB, who was playing much better.
1 Starting OT

That too me is an above average draft.

2014 Potential is There

3. I think Long, Jeffery and Fuller are players that will be in the top 10 at their positions, which is how I define elite.

For me Phil Emery gets a solid B, maybe a B+. Now does that me he has totally restocked the young talent, NO, but he has significantly improved the drafting from 07-11.